Stinky Bottom, Sloppy Poos But Straining - My 4Mth Gr Pup

Hi everyone,

this is my first post here - i tried searching for answers in case someone else has asked this but I can't see anything so sorry if I am repeating ...

Our 4 mth old golden retriever puppy hasn't been too well for a couple of days. She's not very sick, but a bit quiet and what is coming out her rear end is unmentionable, gas and poo both reek ... so why does she want to eat it?!!

The last 2 nights we've had to let her out to poo two or three times in the night, and even so last night we didn't wake up in time for one episode to let her out ... and the cleaning up gave me the opportunity to check closely for worms, which i couldn't see.

I've swapped her onto boiled chicken and rice today, and wormed her just in case since a friend of mine told me their puppy has been growing so fast they need to worm more often. Hope I've done the right thing.

My questions are ... how long do I leave it before taking her to the vet? She's quite lean but I'm hoping the chicken and rice will keep the weight on.

How long till the poo is back to normal if this is something she's eaten? Not only is it very sloppy, but this morning she seemed to be straining which seems odd. Unless the rice is taking effect? I can't think what would do this - she's a typical GR and eats everything but the only weird things I've actually witnessed her eat recently is a bucket of hundreds and thousands and some chair upholstery ...

Also, should i restrict exercise? She hasn't looked remotely interested in a walk today, but it is wet and cold and she's not a fan of the rain! She had a great run around at the park yesterday.

AND - why do dogs eat their poo?! Even when she isn't unwell we've seen her do it. And our old GR used to do it occasionally. It's gross! and makes her breath stink of course!

Any answers or suggestions gratefully received!

More than 24 hours with no improvement and I would be off to the vet. Sooner if signs of lethargy. Puppies dehydrate very quickly. How long have you had pup? What was the breeder feeding? Did you change it? Do you have possums around? (Possum poo can also cause upset tummies)

I think it's vet time ...

straining CAN be a part of diarrhoea bugs .. her gut is irritated , and she feels as if she has to go , and go ...

if you can get her to a vet tonight, then you can both sleep better ;)

With pups it's usually much better to get vet attention sooner rather than later - and pls don't take her to any parks or anywhere when she's unwell - she'll just be spreading it :(

As above smile.gif and less rich treats, especially liver.

Poo eating laugh.gif I know. Gross. There's a couple of old wives remedies like a bit of pineapple or brewers yeast on their food which is no help to you now with an upset tummy! And some of it is just puppy stuff, their Mum's do it for them. Occasionally females do it as a maternal thing. Then they want to kiss you. lol.

(oh I just had a thought. She may have eaten a nasty poo in the park. Regardless, vet visit has to happen anyway)

Edited by Powerlegs

Thanks for the advice everyone. We just had a v nice walk (on the lead, around the streets!) , lots of energy and no pooing! Plus she's back to her old tricks of trying to pin the kids down on the sofa! I'll see how she goes tonight and head in to vet tomorrow if she's not back to normal. I've been using Milbemax for worming, and no treats today, just cooked chicken yesterday too ... think we will have to skip dog training class tomorrow :( but you are absolutely right Persephone, we don't want to pass it around and there is multiple exchanges of bodily fluids when the dogs play!

And Powerlegs, I never thought of her eating SOMEONE ELSE'S poo! Her own is bad enough, YUK

thanks everyone

• 2 weeks later...

Hi and congrats on your baby Goldie

hopefully its just that she ate something and had an upset tummy

but if you go back to normal food and it starts again, take some poo to the vets to get checked

is there any mucous on the poo, if yes it could be anything from having giardia to a reaction to wheat or certain proteins

hope your baby is feeling better soon

just as a side note, have you spoken with your breeder about how much exercise a 4 month old baby should be doing