West Highland Terriers And Cats

Isabel964

Just wanted to check with other Westie owners, about Westies & cats.

Jindi my adorable 10 year old Westie is a most beautiful girl.. Everyone that meets her just falls in love with her. She is very sweet natured, and vets and groomers say she is very calm and settled compared to some Westies.

Our home has two cats and two dogs and all get along gorgeously. But about 4 times we gave come home to hysterical (& and I mean HYSTERUCAL barking), run inside and found Jindi has got a cat bailed up in a cupboard or porthole in a lower section of a tall cat stand , cat terrified, pooed itself, and damage to the cupboard of cat stand. One time the cat had a little nick in his ear - like the dogs teeth got a nip in. (!) It's actually just one cat that finds itself in this situation, our gentle Burnese. The others must manage to get away. We have tall cat stands in the house.

Within a couple of hours the dog and cat ate sitting next to each other sharing a pet bed or couch. So recovery is quick.

We learned to separate the cats and dogs if the whole family was going to be away for several hours or more. It seems Jindi must chase the cats of she gets a little bored.

I had assumed that this must be a terrier instinct thing, and thought I just can't choose any 'terriers' to join our family ever again while I have cats. After-all, the Westie was bred to help chase down foxes.

But I just wanted to check with others to see if this is typical of Westies.

No breed is cat proof just like not all cats are nice to dogs.

Introduction,having there own safe zones & training ,Some great on great others need more management some just arent cat okay just like some cats can be very nasty & attack dogs

Agree with showdog. No breed is necessarily cat proof. Things can get out of hand in an instant when natural instincts kick into high drive even if they have never happened before (or even if there have only been small signs of interest/chasing when you are around). Safe zones and management to protect cats in your absence are generally a good thing regardless. High cat stands are good. I also have baby gates so the cats can have 'safe zones' in the house that the dogs don't go in when we are not supervising. I also separate them when we are not home. In my case the dogs are outside. But if you want the dogs to stay inside, having the separate areas for them (closed door or baby gate) when you can't supervise may be a good idea.

One of my cats is on her FIFTH puppy (I've trained up a few for friends) - so it also takes a cat who can educate them although I never leave that to her. One death stare or THWACK and most of them realise they've over stepped the mark. I don't, however, permit bullying by the cat. I have baby gates and big cat towers. Plus I train my pups pretty hard so they are at least somewhat tired. My other cat is pretty wild and loves to play rough. I had a GSP pup for a friend and she reminded me why I love my Spaniels. This pup would not take no for an answer - one day I heard a screech - and rushed into the lounge room to find blood on the floor....with Dizzy the Wondercat holding Sky down by the ear. I swear he was muttering "and Freaking STAY down!!!"

Edited by The Spotted Devil

I can't talk to Westies as I don't know the breed but it is not fair on your cat to be out in these situations - it would be very traumatic, especially if they are losing control of their bowels.

If you are not there then you must ensure that they are properly separated and the dog cannot access the cat.

You have a terrier and it would not take much for them to do serious injury even if they think they are playing.

My Westie cross was gentle, loving and sweet until the moment he went into prey drive, he passed away recently aged around 15 yrs (he was a rescue) and until his last few months, he was very feisty if he came across any cats. Sadly he'd disembowel blue tongues in an instant, not recognising them as harmless. He would make a certain kind of bark, you've mentioned hysterical and you could have called it that. It was quite distinctive and it meant something was about to happen. I'd race outside, normally i was too late, he'd already dispatched the lizard.

I will always own terriers but you always need to be wary with them, i've never had one that was ok with cats or other small animals.

Edited by Her Majesty Dogmad

My staffy was besties with my cat but would send other cats out of the yard, which was fine by me. I always make sure the smaller animal has somewhere they can go to get away. My folks have cats and I'm very strict with the current dogs on how they interact with them as I no longer have a cat at home. My cat and staffy died within 4weeks of each other :(

Thank you. Spotted devil you are so funny.

Just to clarify, my currents cats are in no danger. We've had Jindi 10 years and we manage it responsibly.

And it's true it does depend on the cat. I have one cat it's never happened to, an athletic don't-mess-with-me cat. It's the gentle sweet cat that is the victim in the rare occasions it's occurred.

I've had dogs and cats all my life. I've never had this issue except with my terrier. Sadly, very sadly, we will be losing Jindi this year as she has a tumour in her spine. I adore westies, and would love to always have one in my family. Jindi is a very gentle sweet Westie too. So I'm not sure it's a good idea. I'll have to think about it a lot more.

All dogs are individuals, there is no entire breed that all behaves the same way. Prey drive is a natural and normal instinct in dogs as a species. Some individuals will have very high prey drive, some low to non existent, and some that will come out only when left unsupervised and situations escalate.

Your dogs must be separated from your cats when you aren't home, or you are likely to end up with a dead cat one day, given what you have described.

I have a dog that is excellent with my cats, but she has a high prey drive. She's never given me cause for concern that she would hurt my cats, but regardless when I leave the house she is either outside, or if inside they're separated in to different sections of the house. I would take these precautions with any dog.

Edited by melzawelza

Hi Isabel My cat Mark lived with me and my westies for years until my mother 'catnapped' him and he went to live with her. I found they all co-habitated very well as long as Mark didn't run. He took great delight swishing his beautiful long tail in their faces as he walked past and had been known to give them the occasional thwack! (Great word Spotty!). But generally I found they ignored each other and Mark seemed to understand that the only time they were interested in him was when he ran.

But the moment Mark ran, the terrier instinct kicked in and they would chase him. Most of the time it seemed a bit of a game with Mark leading them a merry dance around the back yard. And I always made sure he had safe places to jump up and escape to. But I was always wary and never trusted it completely. And there was one foster westie who I would never trust alone with the cat - but he was a badly behaved boy from previous neglect and abuse.

Other friends had a beautiful Persian cat, Henry. He too lived with two westies uneventfully until he died of diabetes as a very old cat.

Overall Henry and Mark seemed to me to be the feline overlords!!! Most of the time... smile.gif

Yes I do separate them. So I guess you make a good point. If I continue to do that anyway then there is no issue, regardless of what type of dog is in our family.

Yep :) It's always a good idea regardless of the dog.

Terriers can be fine with their own cats particularly if everyone is lazing around, but it's the chase that is hard to resist. If your cats need a safe haven pop a baby gate on a room and have their stuff in there. smile.gif

I have a Westie mix and a multi cat house hold, she's excellent with them but as others have mentioned it's the thrill of the chase that seems to get them. My girl will sleep with the cats, walk around with them but if they run she can't help but chase, not her fault, just instincts :)

I have multiple baby gates around the house so cats can get some peace from the dogs in dog free rooms if they wish.

Thanks Westiemum for sharing about Mark. He was a clever cat. My Atticus is a Burnese a gentle sweet boy, but he runs. And you are right, it triggers the chase. My other cat Jellybean doesn't tolerate any nonsense and senses it well in advance of mischief.

I don't know what I'm going to do to give Lucy a new playmate when Jindi leaves us. I'm just going to wait and see. I may not be able to get another play mate soon. Jindi's condition is now deteriorating quite quickly. And it's just heartbreaking. I can't imagine this gorgeous sweet girl not being in my life and it's way too soon. Even at doggie day care the trainers there all say they want a Westie now they have met Jindi. She is just so adorable.

Thanks Westiemum for sharing about Mark. He was a clever cat. My Atticus is a Burnese a gentle sweet boy, but he runs. And you are right, it triggers the chase. My other cat Jellybean doesn't tolerate any nonsense and senses it well in advance of mischief.

I don't know what I'm going to do to give Lucy a new playmate when Jindi leaves us. I'm just going to wait and see. I may not be able to get another play mate soon. Jindi's condition is now deteriorating quite quickly. And it's just heartbreaking. I can't imagine this gorgeous sweet girl not being in my life and it's way too soon. Even at doggie day care the trainers there all say they want a Westie now they have met Jindi. She is just so adorable.

hug.gif I genuinely know how you feel. The last month or so of Mac's life was memorable but tough. I found the key for me and Mac was planning as I said in your other thread - and then it went very peacefully and like clockwork. Isabel while my heart is breaking for you and for Jindi be brave, you'll know when its time...

As to another dog, its fascinating that you should mention it today. This morning I started thinking about what happens to Andy once Sarah joins Mac at the bridge. While she's very well at the moment she is 15 next Wednesday... I'm wondering about a greyhound... I'll start another thread...hug.gif