Weight Problem In Pug

Hi Just wondering if anyone can suggest a good dry dog food to help my 2 year old pug lose some weight. Max is about 2kg over weight and I'm not sure what the best way to go about getting his weight down. Any advice would be grateful. Cheers Tanya

You are certainly not alone in this - pugs do like their tucker!

One of the simplest ways to cut down his weight is to replace about 1/3 of his normal meal with vegetables. Green beans are the most common replacement, vary this now and again with some pumpkin. If you or family members are in the habit of giving him treats during the day, make sure you "count" those in his daily allowance and adjust his meals accordingly.

It will also help if he has a few extra walks - I know, cold weather but bundle up and off you go!

feed quality food, but much less...plus 1 day fasting per week (make sure dog has access to water all the time)...if you use treats for training, use quality treats that can replace normal food.

2 kg overweight for such a little dog is a significant health burden. FEED LESS!

:)

We are too kind to our dogs .

feed less of what he gets each day . You may be happier feeding this in two very small snacks each day :)

use things like apple /sweet potato / lean chicken as treats VERY TINY pieces .

NO fatty treats like marrow bones/pigs ears ...

start teaching him new things - or get him some new toys to give him a new interest.....

Feed less .

What are you feeding now ?What quantity do you feed ,do you feed once/twice a day?

What treats does he get?

What is the activity level ??

Feeding him Optimum 1/2 cup twice a day and only has treats now and again, we walk about 20 mins 3 times a week. We have a 4 month old puppy, which has also increased his physical activity.

One of the simplest ways to cut down his weight is to replace about 1/3 of his normal meal with vegetables. Green beans are the most common replacement, vary this now and again with some pumpkin. If you or family members are in the habit of giving him treats during the day, make sure you "count" those in his daily allowance and adjust his meals accordingly.

It will also help if he has a few extra walks - I know, cold weather but bundle up and off you go!

We have cut down on the treats due to his weight, I know this was an issue. so it is OK to do the veggies with his dry food every meal?

Beyond what's mentioned above, another good thing to do is to have Max work for his food. Slowing down the rate that he eats will help promote fullness or, if he's still a bottomless pit, at least give you a longer break from the pleading! :grimace:

There are:

- slow feeder bowls (avoid the ones that just have three prongs in the middle as they are useless)

- slow feeder mats

- puzzle toys

- food (treat) dispensing toys

- snuffle mats

- kongs

- scattering food on pavers or the grass to hunt out (avoid if your dog has a grass allergy)

- using the entire meal or part of it as rewards in training

- DIY food puzzles: fill an egg cup with the meal & close flaps if you need to make it harder, hidden inside recycled containers/boxes folded over or taped, hidden in little cups or piles around the house and yard, in muffin tins obscured by tennis balls, etc.

Some of these suggestions may possibly not work with the brachy face, you may need to experiment.

Oh and make sure the whole household is on board with helping Max reach a healthy weight and not sabotage your efforts by sneaking him food. :)

We have cut down on the treats due to his weight, I know this was an issue. so it is OK to do the veggies with his dry food every meal?

Every meal is fine. The vegies will help him to feel full.

You might get some disgusted looks at first - MUM - what is this green stuff? laugh.gif But he will munch them up with gusto eventually.

Edited by RuralPug

Lots of great suggestions here for the most part.

I'd be measuring out the food if you're not already - and I know this sounds silly - but use a 1/2 cup measure - not something larger which needs to be half filled. That way when it's full - it's full :)

No more snacks and treats - it jsut adds up. My poor boy put on a kilo when I was giving him a bully stick every day - i just didn't realise how many calories were in those little stinkers.

Also feed for the weight he should be (I'm not really familiar with pugs - but google says max weight is just over 8 kilos for bitches and dogs). Assuming you're feeding optimum for small dogs that means you're probably feeding a bit too much.

http://www.optimumpet.com.au/optimum-for-dogs/dog-food/optimum-adult-small-breeds-(dry)/

This site says for a 10 kilo dog you want to feed approx 1.25 cups a day. So by my reckoning - you want less than that and probably less than 1 cup - by a bit.

I'm also a fan of feeding smaller meals more often - eg - if you stick to your 1 cup a day that could easily be 1/4 of a cup 4 times a day (measured out with 1/4 cup scoop).

Re vegies - you might have to mash them a bit. Faves in this house are grated carrots or carrots cuts into batons. We don't like them cut into discs thank you. We also use carrots as a treat occasionally. Peas are OK too - they do have to be flattened so they're easier to eat. Pumpkin is well loved.

No harm in trying a low fat dry either - even if its just for a bag to two to help you shift the weight. Optimum makes a "light and mature" and there are lots of other options out there.

Good luck - I had a fatty for years - it was really hard to get her weight down and keep it down and it was almost impossible to keep other members of the household in track with her diet - she was always scabbing things from my husband. - On that note - make sure Max isn't helping himself to puppy left overs.

Edited by Scottsmum

feed quality food, but much less...plus 1 day fasting per week (make sure dog has access to water all the time)...if you use treats for training, use quality treats that can replace normal food.

2 kg overweight for such a little dog is a significant health burden. FEED LESS!

Also - please don't smaller dogs are well known for not being able to regulate their blood sugar levels too well. I first read about it when I was reading something about Chihuahuas - I'm not 100% sure it applies to pugs - but regardless.... Please dont.

https://www.purinaproclub.com/resource-library/pro-club-updates/hypoglycemia-requires-quick-intervention-in-toy-breeds

http://www.swankpets.com/blog/2007/08/the-dangers-of-hypoglycemia-in-small-dogs-and-how-to-prevent-it/

Just to give you an idea, my EXTREMELY active working English Springer Spaniel has 1 to 1.5 cups of food per day. This is a dog that swims and runs HARD. Her daughter currently has 3 cups. So some need more, some need less. Em thinks puppies are the best...because I quadruple her food when she's feeding them :laugh:

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Yes, I would follow all of these suggestions- Reduce food, add veggies and make him work for his food. Even something as simple as scattering his food over the floor works :) Empty egg cartons and milk bottles are also cheap and easy food containers that they can work to get the food out of.

1467098411[/url]' post='6826426']
1467079063[/url]' post='6826327']

Also - please don't smaller dogs are well known for not being able to regulate their blood sugar levels too well. I first read about it when I was reading something about Chihuahuas - I'm not 100% sure it applies to pugs - but regardless.... Please dont.

https://www.purinapr...n-in-toy-breeds

http://www.swankpets...-to-prevent-it/

I think this tends to be just the tiny toy breeds. I fast my dogs on occasion after a big meal (so chicken frame one day, then a fast day then food again from the next.) and have never had any issues :)

I am going to suggest a core strength and physical conditioning program. I find in these cases dogs have lost condition so look for ways to avoid exercising even the easy things such as standing, sitting without slouching and generally moving around. When we target their general strength they are more active generally and the weight becomes easier to manage because they are not actively attempting to be sedentary! Happy to chat and give advice via PM.

Yes, I would follow all of these suggestions- Reduce food, add veggies and make him work for his food. Even something as simple as scattering his food over the floor works :) Empty egg cartons and milk bottles are also cheap and easy food containers that they can work to get the food out of.

1467098411[/url]' post='6826426']
1467079063[/url]' post='6826327']

https://www.purinapr...n-in-toy-breeds

http://www.swankpets...-to-prevent-it/

I think this tends to be just the tiny toy breeds. I fast my dogs on occasion after a big meal (so chicken frame one day, then a fast day then food again from the next.) and have never had any issues :)

Sweet - Wasn't sure where they came in on the tiny scale.

I know Scottie hunger spews if he misses more than one meal - but he's certainly not in tiny/toy territory.

Please don't fast your Pug. It's unnecessary and bordering on cruel. They are far too obsessed with food and hunger for that :)

Simply exercise him more and feed less and add some bulk as other people have suggested, if you wish.