How To Prepare A Puppy To Be Adaptable?

You will probably find people have lots of different views about this. My take is ... provided that there is no current parvo outbreak in your areas (your vet will know), it's really good to get pups out and about .. in your arms or a carrier at first ... as soon as they've had a day or two to settle in at home. Obviously, as you've seen from some of the other posts, you want to try to make every experience a safe and happy one ,, and pay attention to the pup's reactions.

I also take pups to the vet for a well puppy social visit. Mine still pop in as adults to get on the scales, when the waiting room is not busy. As littlies, they'll be showered with love and attention and will come to think of the vet office as a great place to go .. your vet will be happy about that :D .

Oh and don't forget forum rules about photos ... there have to be lots of cute puppy photos :laugh:

Love them!

Thank you definitely going to keep all of that in mind :D

5 more sleeps :)

Ive been looking for a vet that does the puppy vaccination where you only need two (not three) and can take them out and about at 10.5 weeks but I havent found any near me yet :/ (SE melbourne - near Chadstone)

Do you take puppies out before all of their vaccinations...? Im getting conflicting info with socialization before 12 weeks (before she enters a potential fear period) and waiting for all the vaccinations

I want to take her places (local cafe, shopping mall entrance, friends houses) and have her watch from my lap (she's fairly small) rather than be cooped inside for four weeks

We have another (vaccinated) dog at home, who goes for walks (and marks where other dogs mark) and will play with her so unless im meant to keep them completely separated until shes vaccinated, if he steps on diseases on the grass i think they can end up on her anyways?

Oakleigh Central Vet on Warrigal road do the 10 week old vaccine so you can take them out at 11 weeks

I have recently been told about a couple of amazing apps for puppies. Or I suppose people with puppies. :D

Sound Proof Puppy Training app

Dog Decoder

The sound proof puppy app has a variety of sounds and instructions about how to condition your puppy to be ok with them. A great way to help prevent noise phobias!

Dog decoder shows you how to interpret your dog's body language.

I would strongly recommend taking your pup out and about from day one, not waiting for vaccinations. We recommend all of our puppy buyers and puppy owners to take their pups out at least once a day, every day until the first fear period.

Thanks Lazy Daisy and Papillon Kisses will check out Oakleigh Vet and those apps :)

I will be taking her out and about from day 2 or so but not putting her on the ground? Just carrying her around places, sitting outside shopping malls with her in my lap, potentially pushing her around in a trolley if she's comfortable

huski - does that include walks/on the ground?

Ive called up a few vets and they have said they havent seen parvo in ages - I didnt specifically ask about the other dangerous diseases but think they would have mentioned it to me if they were around...

• 2 weeks later...