Barking In Dog Run

Bushriver

We have recently built a new house on our large farm. We haven't built the house yard fence yet so my two young dogs take turns at spending some time in a dog run during the day when I'm not outside with them. My latest addition is a 6 month old black female lab. I have only had her about a month and she is still quite shy, very friendly, but seems a bit overwhelmed at the big change (she flew to wa from the east). She only spends a few hours a day in the run but will bark and jump at the walls for a lot of the time. I have a feeling she may have spent a lot of time in a kennel at the breeders. My question is should try shorter amounts of time in the run or maybe longer. I try to choose a time when she has been quiet to go and let her out. She will start carrying on as soon as she sees me coming so I stand and wait near the run until she is calm before letting her out. She comes out pretty calmly. I could put the two young dogs in together and she would be quiet but I like them to spend time apart.

I don't want them to "have" to be together. I think it is important for them to learn to be on their own. It also gives me time alone with the other to work on training or just hang out without the other for awhile.

I doubt it has anything to do with her past more with how the set up currently is .

You say she goes in there when you can't be outside with them ,so going in the run suddenly means no human & no other dog ,likely something she isn't use to.

If you intend to want them to learn to survive on there own then she needs to learn & it will happen .

But a massive change in a month can be a very over bearing time on a young dog

Thanks Showdog. That is what I am a bit unsure of, whether this is too much for her right now? I do intend to have her in there happily eventually. It's only for short periods and sometimes is required for safety on the farm. ie: we had a loader around the house doing earthworks yesterday and is also part of the training that I like them to be able to be separated with little fuss. Should I give her longer to settle in? Or now that I've started should I just perservere?

I rotate 3 dogs during training - at home they are generally required to be on a bed or in an open crate whilst one is working. The trick is to start small and set up the dog not being trained for success - train close to the pen and reward quiet, calm behaviour. Work the other dog on easy stuff because your real focus is on the dog in the pen. If you can't be there to train it put the two dogs in together. Mine hang out indoors together when I'm not around and even mother and daughter happily walk out the door with me or are left at home separately as needed. My pups also learn that awesome things happen when you're left alone...stuffed food toys, meaty bones etc.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Can you work up - 10 minutes, 15 minutes , 30, 45, 60 & so on- going back to the last "good" amount of time if the next increment is too much - until you get to a duration you're happy with? The switch it up -some days do just 15 minutes, the next time do a long amount

a dog run is just a big crate. Google Susan Garret Crate games and follow her method. Makes dogs happy to be in crates / runs and its not too hard. Make the crate / run into the safe refuge, happy place rather than a jail cell where you get left alone.

:) the RUN is where the following should ONLY happen ;)

the frozen chicken frames get chewed

the food dispensing tough toy gets played with

the cardboard boxes get trashed

the doggy iceblocks , filled with treats & fruit slices get devoured ...

That sort of thing ;)

She does have some toys and bones in there but maybe I'll have to get more creative. Most days I can do very short times and build them up. It's only when I have to go out that she'll have to be in there without me being able to respond.

I don't want them to "have" to be together. I think it is important for them to learn to be on their own. It also gives me time alone with the other to work on training or just hang out without the other for awhile.

I think this is a little harsh personally. I have more than one dog but can still take the dogs out separately without any issues. For the most part, when i'm not here, they are able to enjoy each other's company and i'm happy they are happy ...

She does have some toys and bones in there but maybe I'll have to get more creative. Most days I can do very short times and build them up. It's only when I have to go out that she'll have to be in there without me being able to respond.

So where is the other dog at this time?

I think this is a little harsh personally. I have more than one dog but can still take the dogs out separately without any issues. For the most part, when i'm not here, they are able to enjoy each other's company and i'm happy they are happy ...

This, we have had multi dogs live together for many years including times there was only two and we have never had a problem if we needed to take out one dog.The only reason they would rely too much on each other is if you gave them no attention. I don't see any reason to put a new dog under unecessary stress if its happy with your other dog.

Also just realised the dog in question is only 6 months old, for a lab that is still a baby, not surprising it doesn't want to be left alone especially if its not used to it.

Edited by Rascalmyshadow

I agree with letting the two be together if it means less barking, especially if the run is short term until the house fence goes up. The way to avoid separation anxiety is to have a plan and work on increasing times in increments. Never pushing the dog so they get to the point of panic. Every time she barks and stresses she rehearses the behaviour, cements it and makes it harder for you to work around it in the future too.

I would let them be together and work on alone time when you're there to train it properly. If that absolutely can't happen then lots of things to keep her distracted whilst in there as mentioned. The aim is to find things which are more reinforcing for her than her current behaviour (Perse's suggestions are awesome). For some of those she may even stay in there with an open door! Good luck :)

Thanks everyone. I have been able to do this with my other dogs (put in a run alone) with very little stress, but have started from when they were very young. I've shortened her times in there and tried making it extra fun. I think we are getting some improvement. I think I'll also see more improvement as she continues to settle in. The dogs do have time to play together though I still feel it is beneficial to have time apart.