If This Can Help Anyone

DobieMum

Great link DobieMum smile.gif NDN is great for low income and pensioners, who normally wouldn't be able to afford desexing. I wish more people would take up the offer for their cats. The stream in pounds and free to good home is immense and far beyond what rescue can cope with.

There is also DABS and IMHO if you can prevent unwanted litters being born that helps rescue and the community in the long run.

Shared to a bunch of my local pet groups and swap-and-sells. Especially for the rabbits. You wouldn't believe how expensive 'exotic' vets are in the city, any discount is worth its weight in gold! I remember the pain of an entire rabbit too well.

Shared to a bunch of my local pet groups and swap-and-sells. Especially for the rabbits. You wouldn't believe how expensive 'exotic' vets are in the city, any discount is worth its weight in gold! I remember the pain of an entire rabbit too well.

OMG I remember now! rofl1.gif Those big bucks are worse than a tomcat.

Understatement!

She came to me with 3 babies, had maybe 30 minutes with a male rabbit we were babysitting a few months later (I was so mad they were out together, family though it'd be fine! :mad ) and got another 6 baby rabbits and then AGAIN the next year the neighbour's buck dropped by for a f*** and I had 4 more babies! :dropjaw: 13 babies in a year and a bit! I should have been getting child support for them!

She was laidback for a doe but the rest of the girls were exactly as you expect - territorial, easily offended, aloof, clingy, resource guarded me, humping-obsessed, a couple were downright aggressive to strangers and took some careful managing, many died young including from uterine cancer (so common in entire does)...I dread if the neighbours rabbit had managed to get in that pen and not to Sophie when she was having a backyard play. I'd either have ended up with 50 babies or a dead rabbit from territoriality to hand back to the neighbours.

(This was back in Tassie some 15+ years ago when none of the local vets could spay does, my understanding is Paul's vet went out and got some training on it so if any rabbit owning Tasmanians are reading this...)

Entire rabbits are a disaster unless you truly want to breed!

/gets off the rabbit desexing platform <- i try to keep that to the rabbit forums XD

/gets off the rabbit desexing platform <- i try to keep that to the rabbit forums XD

Off topic. I was going to start a bunny thread the other day - will message you - need suggestions for a good bunny forum

I'll be honest, I do not want that many rabbits again! If I had been able to spay them back then I'd have had 1/3 of the number. I only have 2 right now but I'd be looking at a warren of 3-5 when these two pass on and I have an appropriate set up to manage that many. Every single one will be snipped. :thumbsup:

Longer life, a controlled population size, toned down hormones and less cancer for my bunnies? Yes please! and I'll be keeping an eye out for these discounts then, too.

Got your message Scotts mum, hope you like your essay in reply :laugh: