Would You Have A Greyhound And A Westie?

westiemum

Look, westie, still in one piece after her career as greyhound tester.

post-3304-0-93430800-1467518652_thumb.jpg

Only time she gave a signal...'not good here'... was when a greyhound, outside the GAP process, was brought to be tested with a small dog. I didn't know that greyhound being led across the park to us, came via a rescue shelter.

First time ever, Angel's plume tail went down. as it got closer. She'd picked up something. And she was right. This grey turned out to be a bit flakey & unpredictable (but not in a dangerous way). Opposite to the calm, sensible GAP greys. Top dogs, every one! .

Both my present grey and the girl I lost a couple of years ago have always been great with my whippets, I think you just have to get the right grey and communicate well with GAP about just what you are looking for. Good Luck !

Oh gosh, Sarah...15....its so hard. We just lost Punpun in March at 15 (Kelpie cross) and as you know will be losing Jindi this year due to a tumour and going through considerations of whether we rescue again, get another westie, or ...

Jindi, our Westie had Punpun as her companion for a decade. Punpun was a large kelpie cross. No idea what she was crossed with but she was quite tall and highly athletic. In her prime we would take Punpun off-lead every day once or twice a day, and Punpun would run like the wind. Jindi would keep up for quite some time!

They were absolutely inseparable.

I personally think a greyhound could absolutely be a lovely sibling for Andy.

Here are some photos of Jindi and Punpun (RIP)

BXtLVud.png

JKWtjnj.png

rRvFMVE.png

Edited by Isabel964

Well I'm now formally in love with greys. laugh.gif

Thank you so much to harley her lovely daughter and Polly their fantastic ex-racing grey. Its clear Polly landed on her feet when she retired to this family about 6 years ago.

We had a lovely couple of hours at Grange jetty strolling along the sea front and meeting other dogs. Interestingly there was another GAP grey who doesn't like small dogs so we kept our distance, and Bluey, whose new owner adopted him two weeks ago and he is yet to get his green collar so he was muzzled but very well behaved. Andy barely reacted to him and he was a big grey!!

Polly was very laid back with Andy and Andy was very cool and non reactive - which is such an improvement for this puppy farm rescue scaredy cat. In fact he warmed up much more quickly than I thought he would. Sarah of course was her usual social butterfly self.

In talking to harley about it I'd probably be better with a slightly older grey who has already been in foster care unless I can take some weeks off work when the dog first arrives. So when the time comes a grey is definitely on the cards.

Here are a couple of photos I snapped before my phone went suddenly flat:

post-11746-0-69067600-1468046443_thumb.jpeg post-11746-0-00283500-1468046457_thumb.jpeg

Edited by westiemum

It was lovely to meet you westiemum, and of course Sarah and Andy. They are gorgeous little things!

I am glad you enjoyed meeting Polly, she is a lovely natured greyhound and we are lucky to have her. She is a little tired tonight ..... ????

Next time I'll bring my foster boy if he is still with me, he is quite different to Polly. He is much younger and more energetic, and very spunky!!

Thanks again harley, it was so kind of you and meant a great deal to me to be able to see Andy with a much bigger dog. He always treated a friends big dally with quite some indifference so although I recognise that different breeds and dogs within breeds are different it was great to see how he would react. If he'd been completely freaked out then I'd know it was either a 'no-go' or it would require a slower approach, which sometimes just isn't possible when you're adopting.

Andy was absolutely exhausted when he got home - and Sarah snored on the back seat in the car.

Yes I'd love to do it again with your foster boy - he's such a handsome boy in his photos. Thanks again.thumbsup1.gif