Adopting 2 Maltese Puppies?

KLB

As a breeder we prefer calls and then we ask for a follow up email.

Right down in point form the questions you want to asK.

A breeder during your questions will expand and find answers within your questions.

Breeders don't want to be convinced your the right person they will find out themselves.

In our breed we have no issues selling siblings but they clearly informed of the pros/cons and we will often access if there ready for two pups

Also keep in mind when someone asks for two it can ring alarm bells at unplanned litters .

Some people phone and do your head in with silly chat so that's why having a list of important questions can make it easier and both parties get a clear understanding of what each want and it's not lost in translation.

Keep in mind Malts have small size litters and certainly not breed in the numbers use to .

That's good to know--I know some groups seem to favor one mode of communication over the other but I'm never sure which. Again, new at this so please bear with me, but what are some good questions to ask? Since it's registered breeders, that already knocks a few concerns off my list (where did the parents come from, concerns about in-breeding, etc.) I plan to desex them, so should that be addressed?

I have a good lead on some puppies that are $2500 female and $2200 male. I feel like that sounds about right but I want to double-check with you all if it sounds right? That's a local breeder's price, not something I found at a petshop site. TIA!

When you find a breeder - see what you can learn by googling their kennel/breeder's name , eg : "Snowman Maltese"..or whatever :) Sometimes you can see posts or pics of other dogs they've bred .or show results maybe :)

Also check on how many dogs they have at their premises- do they breed other breeds as well - are dogs in the house ..all that sot of thing ;)

When you find a breeder - see what you can learn by googling their kennel/breeder's name , eg : "Snowman Maltese"..or whatever :) Sometimes you can see posts or pics of other dogs they've bred .or show results maybe :)

Also check on how many dogs they have at their premises- do they breed other breeds as well - are dogs in the house ..all that sot of thing ;)

Good to know; I have found what I could about this particular breeder and everything seems to check out. She has 2 different breeds, although of course no cross-breeding. Is that pretty typical or do most stick with 1?

Also wondering about the price. If buying 2, is it reasonable at all to see if a deal could be negotiated, like 2 x 2500, going for 4500 instead of 5000, or is that considered rude? I want to be respectable of course, but I also don't want to overpay.

Good to know; I have found what I could about this particular breeder and everything seems to check out. She has 2 different breeds, although of course no cross-breeding. Is that pretty typical or do most stick with 1?

Also wondering about the price. If buying 2, is it reasonable at all to see if a deal could be negotiated, like 2 x 2500, going for 4500 instead of 5000, or is that considered rude? I want to be respectable of course, but I also don't want to overpay.

It isnt uncommon for breeders to have multiple breeds :)

You could try, however, i do think its unlikely that you will get a discount on buying more than one. Given they could sell the other full price to someone else.

Questions which are of importance to you ,write them down & then think of where that topic can lead to ,i could tell what to ask but the questions need to be what you want to ask & the answers that are important to you ,just like a breeder will ask you questions to see .

One hint though don't say i have done extensive research on the breed if you haven't ,i cant tell you how many say that within there first sentence & when you ask them questions its very obvious they know nothing, saying its a breed that interest you but not sure if its the right match is the truth & the breeder can work with you than feel like your trying to fool them & sound like a time waster or an expert .

I will give you some ideas on questions

Health testing

Age they place out pups

Desexing agreements

Diet

Breeder support

If you asked about a deal with pups you would be rubbed off our list asap,the price of pups is $$$ & that is what you pay

And 2500 female / 2200 male seems to be an average price? Don't get me wrong, the right pup is absolutely worth it. I just don't have a basis of comparison.

For a pedigree puppy with papers that sounds about right.

Cool, thank you. I am just wary of things I see that seem way too low or way too high, so it's good to have an estimate.

Do not haggle about the price. Fastest way to get a breeder off side. Mind you I gave a discount to an overseas buyer who bought 2 of my pups. The transport costs were pretty high and they were a great home which has been proven over 5 tears.

Do not haggle about the price. Fastest way to get a breeder off side. Mind you I gave a discount to an overseas buyer who bought 2 of my pups. The transport costs were pretty high and they were a great home which has been proven over 5 tears.

I'm glad to know this because I'm doing my best to follow up with good breeders but home in the US (I make my home here now) it is expected to negotiate on more expensive things. Granted, a puppy is not a 'thing' but I haven't done this before so I had no idea what expectations there are. I have done so much research on breeds and making sure my home is ready but the actual adoption process is a little stressful and foreign.

I'm glad to know this because I'm doing my best to follow up with good breeders but home in the US (I make my home here now) it is expected to negotiate on more expensive things. Granted, a puppy is not a 'thing' but I haven't done this before so I had no idea what expectations there are. I have done so much research on breeds and making sure my home is ready but the actual adoption process is a little stressful and foreign.

Agree. Definitely don't haggle!

Re getting two puppies. Obviously some breeds are different to others but on top of attachment or aggression issues, it's a LOT of work...toilet training, general obedience, building a relationship, teaching them to settle, keeping them entertained and out of mischief! Admittedly I have relatively demanding breeds but the thought of two youngsters is overwhelming - I just couldn't do them both justice. A pup I bred is coming to stay with me for a month at Christmas. He and his sister will be about 20 months old - that I can handle :laugh: My advice would be to get one and then another in 18 months time. Good luck!

^ I've heard such mixed opinions about getting two dogs at once or one at a time. I have had friends get one dog, wait 18-24 months and get another, and the first dog sulks or doesn't bond well with the younger dog. Then I've heard others say that their younger one benefitted from having a 'big brother/sister' around.

^ I've heard such mixed opinions about getting two dogs at once or one at a time. I have had friends get one dog, wait 18-24 months and get another, and the first dog sulks or doesn't bond well with the younger dog. Then I've heard others say that their younger one benefitted from having a 'big brother/sister' around.

I hear you! It does come down to your choice of dog (age, breed, genetics, breeder), your ability to manage your dogs and your expectations. For example, I currently have 3 dogs - 9 yo Dalmatian, 5 yo field-bred ESS and her 15 month old daughter (all entire). So first dog - great temperament, well socialized and well trained...I knew he much preferred female puppies and so my next dog was a soft-natured girl. I still took them out separately, trained them separately and they had time out from each other so the older dog didn't get fed up and the dogs were individually bonded to me first. It wasn't his job to babysit! And now I have another girl I have to be careful that she and her Mama don't get too attached or too narky - puppies can be super annoying and seasons add another complexity. I can take one or two or three dogs out and they are cool with that - they happily co-exist as a group or will do their thing as individuals. They play together but would rather train with me as a first option.

I always tell people - don't get a second dog to keep your first dog company. If you don't have time for one you sure as heck don't have time for two. And dogs generally prefer the company of their humans, not other dogs (there is science behind that although it's not true for all). I love training and competing so that's my motivation for having multiple dogs.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

I hear you! It does come down to your choice of dog (age, breed, genetics, breeder), your ability to manage your dogs and your expectations. For example, I currently have 3 dogs - 9 yo Dalmatian, 5 yo field-bred ESS and her 15 month old daughter (all entire). So first dog - great temperament, well socialized and well trained...I knew he much preferred female puppies and so my next dog was a soft-natured girl. I still took them out separately, trained them separately and they had time out from each other so the older dog didn't get fed up and the dogs were individually bonded to me first. It wasn't his job to babysit! And now I have another girl I have to be careful that she and her Mama don't get too attached or too narky - puppies can be super annoying and seasons add another complexity. I can take one or two or three dogs out and they are cool with that - they happily co-exist as a group or will do their thing as individuals. They play together but would rather train with me as a first option.

I always tell people - don't get a second dog to keep your first dog company. If you don't have time for one you sure as heck don't have time for two. And dogs generally prefer the company of their humans, not other dogs (there is science behind that although it's not true for all). I love training and competing so that's my motivation for having multiple dogs.

Yes and I feel like a lot of it comes down to personal circumstances too. I'm in a good position right now to handle two puppies. Two years from now, I don't know if I'll be up for a new puppy or not, so the timing aspect is good.

Yes and I feel like a lot of it comes down to personal circumstances too. I'm in a good position right now to handle two puppies. Two years from now, I don't know if I'll be up for a new puppy or not, so the timing aspect is good.

So more than anything I would say find a great breeder, one who DOES give you the third degree so to speak and take their advice. I could have sold my litter multiple times but talked a number of people OUT of buying them - because I want the best for everyone.

Edited by The Spotted Devil