Rival To Petrescue

Who else has received an invite for "early onboarding" to the new rehoming platform being launched?

It would appear that over that last month or so a group has been very busy and their initial motivation seems to be made quite clear from this paragraph:

"Yes, when you list a pets on this site the donations and support goes to your org or your nominated charity. You get the names and contact details of your supporters. It's your hard work, you deserve the rewards.

This is about saving lives. And the best way to save lives is to make sure rescuers have donations and support. Not the listing service."

If you haven't had an invite, please don't ask me for the website - I don't wish to steal their thunder and the launch will be reasonably soon.

I am just wanting to stimulate discussion on PetRescue having a direct rival. Personally I would be happy to list on both sites, but will pull out of any one that tries to maintain my rescue as an exclusive.

Thoughts?

EFS

Edited by RuralPug

I think it's a negative for rescue pets in the overall. Having one, central, Australia-wide listing service that is extremely well known within the general public due to really effective promotion and branding and long standing goes a long way to getting pets adopted. Fractioning off listings in to two separate services and locations doesn't seem to me to be an effective way to get pets seen.

Of course people can list with both, but that's just twice the time suck for already resource-thin organisations and I don't really know what the point would be.

Edited by melzawelza

I think competition and choice is good.

Melzawalza - I'm not sure of the validity of the statement that PetRescue is well known to the public. Before I became just another person, and not a rescuer, I would have thought the same but my conversations with people about rescue dogs, in the last few years, have made me see otherwise. I don't think rescue is understood, nor do I think PetRescue is a platform that is well known. Although it surely is the most well known single source, because it is the only single source. The new one has a hell of a lot of catching up to do to get itself out there in the marketplace. .

I'd like to see what the awareness percentage actually is. If I were a millionaire I'd actually undertake a huge amount of study, research and surveys to define multiple aspects of the rescue industry. One day I might just win the lottery. :laugh:

Edited by ~Anne~

I think competition and choice is good.

Melzawalza - I'm not sure of the validity of the statement that PetRescue is well known to the public. Before I became just another person, and not a rescuer, I would have thought the same but my conversations with people about rescue dogs, in the last few years, have made me see otherwise. I don't think rescue is understood, nor do I think PetRescue is a platform that is well known. Although it surely is the most well known single source, because it is the only single source. The new one has a hell of a lot of catching up to do to get itself out there in the marketplace.

Interesting! I hear it a lot in the workplace and just dealing with 'the general public' in a pet related role. Many, many people saying they searched Petrescue once deciding they wanted a rescue pet. Not rescue people by any stretch, just ordinary people looking for a new pet. But everyone's experience is different. I'd love to see the study and research you mention! Win the lottery already! :laugh:

Edited by melzawelza

LOL it will be interesting to see if the average pet adopter via either listing site is any the more aware of the actual rescue they adopted from. I have heard people complaining that Joe Blow thinks that he adopted from PetRescue but I'm not sure that it is any different to asking where someone bought an item, and they reply "Ebay" or "Gumtree"!

"Adopt rescue dog" - Petrescue first two links followed by RSPCA

"Adopt a dog'- RS first, Petrescue next two

"Adopt rescue cat" Petrescue first two links followed by RS

"Adopt a cat" - Petrescue is 4th, after RS and CatRescue901

"Rescue dog" first two are Petrescue

"Rescue cat" - first two are Petrescue

LOL it will be interesting to see if the average pet adopter via either listing site is any the more aware of the actual rescue they adopted from. I have heard people complaining that Joe Blow thinks that he adopted from PetRescue but I'm not sure that it is any different to asking where someone bought an item, and they reply "Ebay" or "Gumtree"!

Yes, hear it everyday - i adopted my dog from Petrescue. "Which rescue" I say. "Petrescue" they say ..... "That isn't a rescue" I say. "Isn't it?" comes the answer.

Every $10 donation you make today will give a rescue group a free listing on the PetRescue website for one of their senior or special needs pets - the only place where over 20,000 pet adopters come to search for their new best friend every single day!

This is in an email I got and can presume everyone else got it as well. I thought we all got free listings???

Maree

CPR

• 1 month later...

Sorry Maddy I wish I could remember where I put the emails! It was something along the lines of selecting a number of groups to be launched in Beta (as a test run?) but I didn't actually realise we might be one if we got the registration thingos. Just assumed that everyone got one and they'd go from there. Maybe it's not that way after all :shrug:

Nope, no idea of what the name even is. You would think, given how important (and difficult) it is to get traffic to a website and get a name out there, that they'd be making something public. I know Dol isn't the be-all and end-all of rescue but I've heard nothing about it on any of the bigger rescue FB groups, either. PetRescue didn't get to where they are by doing anything quietly- we might not agree with the direction PR is going these days but if there was one thing they did well, it was getting the PR name out there.

Just got an email from Pet Rescue asking me to please get back to someone enquiring about one of my dogs, why don't they tell people to ring the rescue if they haven't heard back from them, I make my own decisions and that is not Pet Rescue's role to contact a rescue asking them to get back to people. :swear:

Nope, no idea of what the name even is. You would think, given how important (and difficult) it is to get traffic to a website and get a name out there, that they'd be making something public. I know Dol isn't the be-all and end-all of rescue but I've heard nothing about it on any of the bigger rescue FB groups, either. PetRescue didn't get to where they are by doing anything quietly- we might not agree with the direction PR is going these days but if there was one thing they did well, it was getting the PR name out there.

Oooh, so you didn't register? :o I'm so sorry, I put the link somewhere in one of my posts but didn't realise it's not in this thread.

http://rescuedpets.com.au/

Just got an email from Pet Rescue asking me to please get back to someone enquiring about one of my dogs, why don't they tell people to ring the rescue if they haven't heard back from them, I make my own decisions and that is not Pet Rescue's role to contact a rescue asking them to get back to people. :swear:

Yep! We get complaints to PR that we said no to an applicant. Or that we haven't replied, which is always done and I can prove it with emails.

They're probably enforcing the new membership conditions rule that we agreed to just by being members.

• "Respond to enquiries generated from the PetRescue website within 72 hours."

Thinking along the path I've been predicting & following throughout these changes;

Although we've always gotten emails from PR anyway but now it's possible your membership can be used as leverage if they choose.

You will just slowly begin to miss out on their things like paid advertising on FB or featured dogs in favour of groups with in-house responses and high turnover or simply just by being large - AKA a regular stream of listings for new intakes generating in more inquiries, building PR a larger income stream.

With the new comms system you will need to stick to your membership agreement and reply in 72hrs because their boosting income plans depends on it.

Quote Shel- "This new 'Matchmaker' system will keep a history of successful enquiries on the PetRescue site and fully traceable for solicitation purposes. "

Edited by Powerlegs