Rest In Peace My Little Miss Muppet

~Anne~

Thank you everyone.

Kat - yes, the house almost has an echo.

I'm so used to listening for her, making sure she's not under my feet. And in the last few weeks, making sure she was ok. Now I don't have to leave a light on for her to make her way out in the night to go to the toilet. I don't have to take her outside to toilet when we first get up. I'm not tripping on her toys or stepping over her beds. She has three of them!

I came home from work and she didn't smell me and come racing into the bedroom. She was deaf but even for a pug, she had a keen sense of smell. She always knew when I came home. The first one home, out of my husband and I, would find her sitting at the front door, in the dark and the cold, waiting for one of us to walk through. I won't feel guilty anymore that she did this. I've never know how long she sat up the hallway waiting, and I was always worried about her doing it, especially in Winter.

I'm so sorry Anne. Some dogs just steal our hearts and make even the naughty things endearing. I'm sad that you are pugless at present. That in itself is so hard to come to terms with. Olivia was very lucky to have landed with you and had her medical needs attended to. It was meant to be. Take care of yourselves.

The silence is deafening, isn't it. :(

Someone on DOL once posted a story about how dogs don't die, they fall asleep in your heart, and when your heart hurts it's because they've woken up and are madly wagging their tails saying "Remember me? I love you!" I find the imagery of that comforting, and an accurate way to describe the pain. Perhaps you may find it comforting too. Here's the full text:

Dogs never die. They don’t know how to. They get tired, and very old, and their bones hurt. Of course they don’t die. If they did they would not want to always go for a walk, even long after their old bones say: 'No, no, not a good idea. Let's not go for a walk.' Nope, dogs always want to go for a walk. They might get one step before their aging tendons collapse them into a heap on the floor, but that's what dogs are. They walk.

It’s not that they dislike your company. On the contrary, a walk with you is all there is. Their boss, and the cacaphonic symphony of odor that the world is. Cat poop, another dog’s mark, a rotting chicken bone (exultation), and you. That’s what makes their world perfect, and in a perfect world death has no place.

However, dogs get very very sleepy. That’s the thing, you see. They don't teach you that at the fancy university where they explain about quarks, gluons, and Keynesian economics. They know so much they forget that dogs never die. It’s a shame, really. Dogs have so much to offer and people just talk a lot.

When you think your dog has died, it has just fallen asleep in your heart. And by the way, it is wagging its tail madly, you see, and that’s why your chest hurts so much and you cry all the time. Who would not cry with a happy dog wagging its tail in their chest. Ouch! Wap wap wap wap wap, that hurts. But they only wag when they wake up. That’s when they say: 'Thanks Boss! Thanks for a warm place to sleep and always next to your heart, the best place.'

When they first fall asleep, they wake up all the time, and that’s why, of course, you cry all the time. Wap, wap, wap. After a while they sleep more. (Remember, a dog while is not a human while. You take your dog for walk, it’s a day full of adventure in an hour. Then you come home and it's a week, well one of your days, but a week, really, before the dog gets another walk. No WONDER they love walks.)

Anyway, like I was saying, they fall asleep in your heart, and when they wake up, they wag their tail. After a few dog years, they sleep for longer naps, and you would too. They were a GOOD DOG all their life, and you both know it. It gets tiring being a good dog all the time, particularly when you get old and your bones hurt and you fall on your face and don’t want to go outside to pee when it is raining but do anyway, because you are a good dog. So understand, after they have been sleeping in your heart, they will sleep longer and longer.

But don’t get fooled. They are not 'dead.' There’s no such thing, really. They are sleeping in your heart, and they will wake up, usually when you’re not expecting it. It’s just who they are.

I feel sorry for people who don’t have dogs sleeping in their heart. You’ve missed so much. Excuse me, I have to go cry now

Sorry to hear this Anne. Only having one left and her looking older by the day, is a burden on my heart. I can't imagine having an empty house but know it will happen one day. My condolences to you and I hope the silence isn't too deafening for you :cry:.

The thing I miss the most after losing Maddison is the fur. There just isn't any. I know puggies are renowned for their fur, you might find the same thing too.

Thanks SM.

After years of owning pugs, I think it will take a castrophic event or remove the hair. I find hair in the most unexpected places. :)

My brand new car is already christened with hair. I look at it as being a part of my miss muppet and possibly even Monte nad Boof, so I'm happy to leave it.

Now I await until her ashes are returned. I've ordered yet another urn. My living room has become a memorial to them all. ❤️

The silence is deafening, isn't it. :(

Someone on DOL once posted a story about how dogs don't die, they fall asleep in your heart, and when your heart hurts it's because they've woken up and are madly wagging their tails saying "Remember me? I love you!" I find the imagery of that comforting, and an accurate way to describe the pain. Perhaps you may find it comforting too. Here's the full text:

Dogs never die. They don’t know how to. They get tired, and very old, and their bones hurt. Of course they don’t die. If they did they would not want to always go for a walk, even long after their old bones say: 'No, no, not a good idea. Let's not go for a walk.' Nope, dogs always want to go for a walk. They might get one step before their aging tendons collapse them into a heap on the floor, but that's what dogs are. They walk.

It’s not that they dislike your company. On the contrary, a walk with you is all there is. Their boss, and the cacaphonic symphony of odor that the world is. Cat poop, another dog’s mark, a rotting chicken bone (exultation), and you. That’s what makes their world perfect, and in a perfect world death has no place.

However, dogs get very very sleepy. That’s the thing, you see. They don't teach you that at the fancy university where they explain about quarks, gluons, and Keynesian economics. They know so much they forget that dogs never die. It’s a shame, really. Dogs have so much to offer and people just talk a lot.

When you think your dog has died, it has just fallen asleep in your heart. And by the way, it is wagging its tail madly, you see, and that’s why your chest hurts so much and you cry all the time. Who would not cry with a happy dog wagging its tail in their chest. Ouch! Wap wap wap wap wap, that hurts. But they only wag when they wake up. That’s when they say: 'Thanks Boss! Thanks for a warm place to sleep and always next to your heart, the best place.'

When they first fall asleep, they wake up all the time, and that’s why, of course, you cry all the time. Wap, wap, wap. After a while they sleep more. (Remember, a dog while is not a human while. You take your dog for walk, it’s a day full of adventure in an hour. Then you come home and it's a week, well one of your days, but a week, really, before the dog gets another walk. No WONDER they love walks.)

Anyway, like I was saying, they fall asleep in your heart, and when they wake up, they wag their tail. After a few dog years, they sleep for longer naps, and you would too. They were a GOOD DOG all their life, and you both know it. It gets tiring being a good dog all the time, particularly when you get old and your bones hurt and you fall on your face and don’t want to go outside to pee when it is raining but do anyway, because you are a good dog. So understand, after they have been sleeping in your heart, they will sleep longer and longer.

But don’t get fooled. They are not 'dead.' There’s no such thing, really. They are sleeping in your heart, and they will wake up, usually when you’re not expecting it. It’s just who they are.

I feel sorry for people who don’t have dogs sleeping in their heart. You’ve missed so much. Excuse me, I have to go cry now

That's beautiful. Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you LFF.

Yesterday, FB in its glory, threw 2 memories up at me. One from the same date last year when I'd taken a pic of Olivia sitting in the dark, up the hallway, at the front door waiting and staring through the glass. She was waiting for my husband to come home. The other was taken a year or two earlier when she'd scorched her fur on a heater.

I'm gradually becoming accustomed to not tripping over her or finding her at the front door when I come home from work. I've got so many memories of all of them and this group, as well as Facebook, hold many of those memories.

Edited by ~Anne~