Caring For Pets Of Elderly When They're Unwell.

This notice is in the Senior Newspaper. About an organisation in Port Macquarie that helps the elderly when they're hospitalised etc. Serves the Lower Hunter Region & Central Coast of NSW. Such help could be useful for rescues to know about ...

A new op shop is supporting companion animals in a poor situation.

The Companion Care Foundation, which provides help for companion animals when their owners are unwell, has now opened a shop in Main Road, Boolaroo, a suburb in Lake Macquarie near Newcastle.

Selling a range of donated goods as well as pet accessories, the store will raise funds to support the foundation in caring for pets when their owners cannot.

The shopfront will also serve as an office and permanent headquarters for the foundation. “We have been able to assist many isolated people, whose main concern has been their companion animal,” said managing director Neroli Sneddon.

“Before our service was available, some people would even refuse hospital care or medical treatment because they had no one to care for their pet.”

Volunteer sales assistants are needed for weekdays and Saturday mornings. Training is available and mature volunteers are welcome.

Phone 0416-962-273 or email [email protected]

They have a website (check the Gallery photos of pets helped) & a Facbook page:

http://www.careforpets.org.au

Edited by mita

Great idea Mita, the need would be enormous and i know from experience many pets end up with noone to care for them.

I have a friend who runs something similar in Sydney, i'll notify her about this.

I also spoke to the RSPCA recently about their POOPs program as i do get quite a few calls on this topic.

It's getting the word out there that is challenging.

It's great isn't it! I like how they're flexible in how to best help the elderly person's pet. Might be visit to the home or short or long-term foster. And sometimes it can lead to rehoming. Sad thing is how they said it's known for an elderly person to refuse hospital treatment because they can't leave the pet alone. One of the sponsors is the Cancer Council.

You're right about how to spread word when many elderly people might not be on the Net, so here's hoping whoever's treating them... like doctors, nurses, clinics etc knows about the service & can refer them. I'm checking if there's anything in Brisbane.

Edited by mita

This is so lovely, we just lost my grandma and while she was calling the ambulance at 2am unable to breathe she was stocking her cats bowl and making sure she had enough to eat until Mum could get down there.

We found kitty a lovely home with one of my Grandma's cousins in the end and it made her a lot more comfortable to know Kitty was sorted out and happy.

This is so lovely, we just lost my grandma and while she was calling the ambulance at 2am unable to breathe she was stocking her cats bowl and making sure she had enough to eat until Mum could get down there.

We found kitty a lovely home with one of my Grandma's cousins in the end and it made her a lot more comfortable to know Kitty was sorted out and happy.

What a lovely Grandma! I'm so sorry for your loss.