Nsw To Ban Greyhound Racing From July 2017

The Spotted Devil

In response to widespread illegal and unconscionable activity, including the slaughtering of tens of thousands of dogs, I can today announce that NSW is putting an end to greyhound racing.

More than a year ago, we established a Special Commission of Inquiry into the greyhound industry after very disturbing reports emerged of cruelty to animals and other illegal activities.

We have now received the report of the Commission, conducted by former High Court Judge Michael McHugh, and the findings are damning. A link to the whole report is below, but some of the findings include:

• The mass killing of greyhounds. The report found, “In NSW in the last 12 years… somewhere between 48,891 and 68,448 dogs were killed because they were considered too slow to pay their way or were unsuitable for racing.” In the industry, they call this “wastage”. It’s not wastage: it is the unnecessary slaughtering of tens of thousands of healthy dogs.

• The widespread practice of “live baiting”. This is where live animals, like rabbits, are used as bait to be chased by dogs in training sessions. The report found that, even though this is already illegal and carries heavy penalties, “a trainer, who admitted to engaging in live baiting, testified that about 10-20% of trainers engaged in live baiting.”

• The systemic deception of the public concerning the numbers of deaths and injuries of dogs. It is estimated that 180 greyhounds per year sustain catastrophic injuries during races such as skull fractures or broken backs that result in their immediate death. But the commission found that “Greyhound Racing NSW had adopted a policy of deliberately misreporting the extent of injuries suffered by greyhounds at racetracks.”

• The industry is not capable, in the short or medium term, of reforming. The report found that “it appears unlikely that the issue of the large scale killing of healthy greyhounds by the industry can be addressed successfully in the future.” In fact, the report found that, "such is the culture of the industry and some of its leaders that it is no longer, if it ever was, entitled to the trust of the community."

One of the issues we have had to wrestle with is the positive impact of the greyhound racing industry. There are over 1000 direct jobs in the industry and nearly 6000 registered owners of greyhounds. Dog racing can be an important part of the social fabric of regional towns. And, of course, having a punt on the dogs over a few beers is good fun for many people.

So, as Mr McHugh asked, do such benefits of the dog racing industry outweigh the shortcomings?

Based on this report, the Government believes they do not.

Greyhound racing has been banned in many countries and many states of the US and is legal in only eight countries around the world. NSW will be the first state in Australia to ban it.

Over the coming months, we will consult with the industry to help minimise the pain as best we can for the innocent industry participants as we work towards an orderly industry shutdown. We will develop a strategy to work with the RSPCA to manage the welfare of existing greyhounds. And the transition arrangement for Greyhound Racing NSW assets (like greyhound racing tracks) will ensure they are used for open public space, alternative sports facilities or other community use.

I feel much empathy for innocent trainers and those who will lose their job or hobby as a result of this. And I understand the disappointment of people who enjoy having a punt on the dogs. But we simply cannot and will not stand-by and allow the widespread and systemic mistreatment of animals.

You can read the full report here: http://www.greyhoundracinginquiry.justice.nsw.gov.au/

.... The findings are damning ...

.... The industry is not capable, in the short or medium term, of reforming. The report found that "it appears unlikely that the issue of the large scale killing of healthy greyhounds by the industry can be addressed successfully in the future." In fact, the report found that, "such is the culture of the industry and some of its leaders that it is no longer, if it ever was, entitled to the trust of the community." .....

..... we simply cannot and will not stand-by and allow the widespread and systemic mistreatment of animals.

You can read the full report here: http://www.greyhound...ice.nsw.gov.au/

Wow. Wonder if this will now affect or influence other States. One can only hope.

Way to go Mike Baird. :thumbsup:

I hope the greyhound rescue orgs are looking at tripling their resources. There is going to be an absolute flood of hounds needing to the taken into care. If you've ever considered you might like to adopt of foster a hound, now's the time to start discussions with registered orgs.

Edited by ~Anne~

Definitely happy with this news but trying to wrap my head around the logistics of it all. There are going to be a lot of dogs destroyed or shipped interstate.

Hopefully the government has a good plan in place to support rescues and the community gets out there and adopts as many of these dogs as possible (*looks at how we can squeeze another one in*)

Definitely happy with this news but trying to wrap my head around the logistics of it all. There are going to be a lot of dogs destroyed or shipped interstate.

Hopefully the government has a good plan in place to support rescues and the community gets out there and adopts as many of these dogs as possible (*looks at how we can squeeze another one in*)

Mike Baird in the ABC News article:

He said the move would include a welfare plan for existing greyhounds, including opportunities for re-homing, an adjustment package for industry participants, a transition arrangement for existing Greyhound Racing NSW assets, including race tracks to ensure they are used as open public space.

I have to say I am astonished the government is doing this (against undoubted industry pressure), but I am very happy they've stepped up and taken the inquiry's report seriously. I wonder what is going to happen up here in Qld?

I know I am probably not going to be liked for saying this, but I kind of hope that the states do ban greyhound racing in a step by step approach so NSW first then QLD etc

I don't really want to see a mass cull of greyhounds.

--Lhok

Banning racing might make some impact but they are still able to breed them, train them export them interstate and internationally ,keep them and travel interstate to race them and kill them when ever and as how many they want.

All they needed to do to make a bigger impact was to take away the exemptions greyhound breeders get in some states so they are not self policing and are accountable as all the rest of us are.

The reason given is they are not capable of ensuring these things dont happen within the industry so make them accountable as all other breeders are in NSW.

I know I am probably not going to be liked for saying this, but I kind of hope that the states do ban greyhound racing in a step by step approach so NSW first then QLD etc

--Lhok

This is exactly my feeling. I believe it is already very hard to find them homes, will only get harder.

What do you think this means for pet or show breeders? Will you guys have a hard time getting breeding dogs or will there be much impact on you guys if it goes nation-wide?

--Lhok

This is exactly my feeling. I believe it is already very hard to find them homes, will only get harder.

What do you think this means for pet or show breeders? Will you guys have a hard time getting breeding dogs or will there be much impact on you guys if it goes nation-wide?

Its going to be impossible to find enough homes, and then there are going to be dogs that, unfortunately, due to intense prey drive, are really unsuitable for rehoming as well - but may make it into inexperienced homes and damage the reputation of the breed as a whole.

I am seriously torn on the issue - I am glad it is banned but the logistics are a nightmare and I don't doubt that they haven't been thought through properly. But I also have no faith that any regulations put in place would have been adequately funded and resourced in order to make any difference what so ever.

Typical hypocrisy from dictator Baird. Do you really think he is interested in the perceived welfare aspects? The NSW Government just wants to get its hands on the tracks so that they can develop the land. Wentworth Park is the jewel in the crown but there are other tracks in regional centres they have been trying to get their hands on for years.

This will rip the heart out of many country towns.

Culling. :(

I'm also worried they will be exported like the ones who were sold to china.

The culling goes on already, the statistics are already horrific. The export will be watched much more than previously. Nothing can become "worse" in the longer term than it already is.

Rehoming will increase surely. We are loaded bases now, Frodo and Rheneas are very old doggies and couldn't cope with new dogs. But when they pass we would consider two greys, I think many people will feel the same. On re-homing, I wasn't 100 percent decided on greyhounds for the same reason people don't buy from pet shops, it supports the puppy farmers. With the industry phasing down, it shifts that point of view.

I take my dogs to a well known greyhound vet which is always teaming with trainers. I cant stand the scumbags.

I am sick of standing in the pound while they haul multiple dogs in as its cheaper than paying a vet to kill them.

The last time i was there four 9 month old siblings came in, when asked their names he said they didn't have any.

They will not regulate their own industry, they cannot be trusted and i am glad its been banned.

Yes dogs will die, ones that would have died sooner rather than later anyway, except the cycle is broken.

they need to ban it in all states to stop dogs being moved.

Yes I've already been discussing in another thread how a grey would get on with Andy my westie when Sarah joins Mac at the bridge. And I think this has firmed my resolve - and to have my guys meet harley's grey on Saturday if we can.

While I know there are so many needy rescues all the time, I think this is going to be a re-homing crisis so it would be good if any potential adopters would consider a grey first.

Typical hypocrisy from dictator Baird. Do you really think he is interested in the perceived welfare aspects? The NSW Government just wants to get its hands on the tracks so that they can develop the land. Wentworth Park is the jewel in the crown but there are other tracks in regional centres they have been trying to get their hands on for years.

This will rip the heart out of many country towns.

I agree, I don't think he's done this for the dogs.