Nsw To Ban Greyhound Racing From July 2017

The Spotted Devil

I presume from the wording of the press release, that the breeding of "show" greyhounds will also be banned - particularly as the specifically mention "presence".

No idea how they could tell the difference between a racing and show dog.

Racehorses will be banned long after pedigree dogs are. Lots of money in racing and enough clout to push the government back.

A lot of failed horses which are sound, sane and not wanting to kill someone does find a home. There are so many racehorse re-homing groups on facebook these days, and so many horses on them. Most of the show horses, pc horses, eventers and jumpers are ex-racehorses.

Edited by Jed

Not just the ACT looks like "the breeding, racing and presence of Greyhounds in NSW" is to be banned.

13567264_10207512508995766_6444090261962984645_n.jpg?oh=259913159b1ad5cd6292d451f376a753&oe=57FFBB36

Sad day indeed.

--Lhok

Who'd have thought greyhounds would be the ACT Government's first act of BSL.

They haven't legislated against the breed. They have condemned the activity.

See this graphic, this is legislation against the breed.

I know I am probably not going to be liked for saying this, but I kind of hope that the states do ban greyhound racing in a step by step approach so NSW first then QLD etc

I don't really want to see a mass cull of greyhounds.

--Lhok

Unfortunately I believe that is what will happen. When they closed one small country track, Wangaratta, there were many dogs euthanized I did hear around 600 not sure how accurate that figure is though, hopefully it was grossly exaggerated.

Greys are hard to rehome I hope the measures the government have got in place to handle the unwanted greys will go on for at least a couple of years as I believe it will be a very long term project.

Not just the ACT looks like "the breeding, racing and presence of Greyhounds in NSW" is to be banned.

13567264_10207512508995766_6444090261962984645_n.jpg?oh=259913159b1ad5cd6292d451f376a753&oe=57FFBB36

Sad day indeed.

--Lhok

Who'd have thought greyhounds would be the ACT Government's first act of BSL.

They haven't legislated against the breed. They have condemned the activity.

See this graphic, this is legislation against the breed.

That is NSW

http://www.news.com.au/national/breaking-news/no-future-for-greyhound-racing-in-act/news-story/a6b1057bd68796409de60a09d093f645

Extract:

"It is untenable for the ACT government to continue allowing, and financially supporting the practice of greyhound racing."

I presume from the wording of the press release, that the breeding of "show" greyhounds will also be banned - particularly as the specifically mention "presence".

No idea how they could tell the difference between a racing and show dog.

Racehorses will be banned long after pedigree dogs are. Lots of money in racing and enough clout to push the government back.

A lot of failed horses which are sound, sane and not wanting to kill someone does find a home. There are so many racehorse re-homing groups on facebook these days, and so many horses on them. Most of the show horses, pc horses, eventers and jumpers are ex-racehorses.

The pleasure industry does not have the capacity to absorb the excess from racing, and its capacity is decreasing as purpose bred horses are more in demand. Easy to find someone in the pleasure industry to take a free horse but few have the ability or resources to actually home them long term.

If an industry cannot self regulate it will be shut down. It's as simple as that. Government is no longer interested in regulation of industry.

Lots of people want and take racehorses and know what they are doing.

And racehorses are much cheaper than warmbloods etc. And do the job just as well - if you are planning on going to the games maybe not, but for everything else - a tb will do, you need to see how many are competing.

I believe all sound and sane horses which are not savage are homed.

And racehorses are much cheaper than warmbloods etc. And do the job just as well - if you are planning on going to the games maybe not, but for everything else - a tb will do, you need to see how many are competing.

The pleasure market has changed a lot in the last 10-20 years. Warmbloods are much cheaper than they used to be. I sold a nice quiet sound and rideable WB mare a couple years ago for $2k. Dressage is getting more competitive even at the lower levels and Warmbloods do find the work a lot easier, I know as I've ridden both and there is a reason that the trend is heading that way.

Just because they are sound and sane doesn't mean they are suitable for all pleasure horse riders, they are still racehorses and most require retraining after racing which brings their cost up to that comparable with the lower priced purpose bred horses. Sure they can often find homes easily enough if they are good looking and quiet but they don't often stay in those homes as they simply aren't suitable for the large majority of riders these days. The market has changed, fewer people have the time and resources to retrain a thoroughbred and it's not financially viable anymore as even good retrainers are having trouble getting decent money for the work they have put into retraining TBs. The pleasure market simply cannot absorb the many thousands of horses bred for racing which get funnelled into it year after year. I've got a TB sitting in my paddock that the previous owner couldn't find a home for even though she is "sound and sane".

One of the bits I don't get: the apologists for the industry talk about how much the dogs are really loved by their owners, they are part of the family, and how only a small minority do all this dreadful stuff.

So if racing stops tomorrow, or in twelve months time, why so many greys suddenly need to be rehomed or euthanased? Since so many of them are loved and part of the family, why wouldn't the owners keep them - which would only leave the bad "small minority" who would not keep them on as pets.

Edited by PossumCorner

Agreed PossumCorner. I was looking at the commends on a Facebook post (SMH or something), and a greyhound racer was blaming the government for the fact that he'd be euthanizing his 9 greys as his "loved" dogs were now worthless. I wish I could say it was a comment troll. I just...

Someone pointed out that he wouldn't kill his children if Little Athletics were banned, but the point seemed to have been lost on him.

Edited by Papillon Kisses

And the scumbags keep lying, and wonder why no one trusts them.

Andy Lord ,trainer interviewed last night, has 240 dogs, but you know he doesn't euthanase or send to Asia any of his dogs that are not fast enough, what does he do with them then?

Oh yes, your wife, who has been banned for giving dogs cocaine and steroids does it for you. :mad

Typical hypocrisy from dictator Baird. Do you really think he is interested in the perceived welfare aspects? The NSW Government just wants to get its hands on the tracks so that they can develop the land. Wentworth Park is the jewel in the crown but there are other tracks in regional centres they have been trying to get their hands on for years.

This will rip the heart out of many country towns.

I agree, I don't think he's done this for the dogs.

He seemed quite shaken up over the report on The Project last night. He seemed genuinely upset about the dogs and the live baiting. The interview is probably on the FB page.

They probably haven't even thought about people breeding Greys for another reason ie showing. The KC needs to get on to that.

Anyone reading the report? It's long and detailed but worth a look.

I have started but it is heavy going.

I'm not convinced yet (and I really hope that it is wrong) that the legislation is going to ban the breed altogether, I think it was a poorly worded/phrased article.

Anyone reading the report? It's long and detailed but worth a look.

I have started but it is heavy going.

I'm not convinced yet (and I really hope that it is wrong) that the legislation is going to ban the breed altogether, I think it was a poorly worded/phrased article.

Agree. The breed (as I read it) is not banned just no breeding for the purpose of racing and no racing in a betting environment. I imagine some clarity will be needed around lure coursing but I imagine the government has never heard of it along with half the dog sports.

The pleasure market has changed a lot in the last 10-20 years. Warmbloods are much cheaper than they used to be. I sold a nice quiet sound and rideable WB mare a couple years ago for $2k. Dressage is getting more competitive even at the lower levels and Warmbloods do find the work a lot easier, I know as I've ridden both and there is a reason that the trend is heading that way.

Just because they are sound and sane doesn't mean they are suitable for all pleasure horse riders, they are still racehorses and most require retraining after racing which brings their cost up to that comparable with the lower priced purpose bred horses. Sure they can often find homes easily enough if they are good looking and quiet but they don't often stay in those homes as they simply aren't suitable for the large majority of riders these days. The market has changed, fewer people have the time and resources to retrain a thoroughbred and it's not financially viable anymore as even good retrainers are having trouble getting decent money for the work they have put into retraining TBs. The pleasure market simply cannot absorb the many thousands of horses bred for racing which get funnelled into it year after year. I've got a TB sitting in my paddock that the previous owner couldn't find a home for even though she is "sound and sane".

You need to get our more and see what is competing, and decent warmbloods are not very cheap.

I am not talking about 10 - 20 years ago, I am talking about NOW.

I have no idea why the TB couldn't find a home - ugly? Hard to fatten? Something wrong with her, or lack of decent advertising.

Anyhow this thread is about greyhounds, not racehorses.

Edited by Jed

.... Agree. The breed (as I read it) is not banned just no breeding for the purpose of racing and no racing in a betting environment. I imagine some clarity will be needed around lure coursing but I imagine the government has never heard of it along with half the dog sports.

Yes I think when the wording is looked at pure breds for dog shows and pets will be fine. Lure coursing has to be a focus issue: all of us who have been involved at any level with lure coursing for our pet dogs know that it is "okay". But explain that to people who think that greyhound racing is dogs chasing a lure, end of story. Hard to argue with them as the difference is, well, a grey area. (Hope that flyball will not become part of the arguments).

You need to get our more and see what is competing, and decent warmbloods are not very cheap.

I am not talking about 10 - 20 years ago, I am talking about NOW.

I have no idea why the TB couldn't find a home - ugly? Hard to fatten? Something wrong with her, or lack of decent advertising.

Anyhow this thread is about greyhounds, not racehorses.

I get out quite a lot since I have several Warmbloods I show and compete, I know exactly what is selling, which lines, how much they sell for, who is riding what and why. I have been following this trend for a long time and it has take a sharp turn in recent years as Warmbloods have become more affordable.

There is nothing wrong with the mare, I think she is lovely but she's not a show horse, and if you think it's ok that plain horses can't get decent homes because people think they are "ugly" so it's fine if they get dogged when they finish racing then you are part of the problem.

Sorry w&h I am not sure where you are competing, but not everyone wants a wb. You need a seat and legs like a german master for most of them, ott have been around and seen all kinds of things and are preferred by a lot of people. Very few wbs are in the hack ring. There are, additionally, plenty of homes for tb in polocrosse and pony club where the horse does not need to have top conformation.

But believe what you want.

It is quite difficult to get an ott at present.

The question of suitability of homes applies to all horses - and owners and trainers have some sense at least - and yes, some do go to unsuitable hones, and some do end up at the doggers, as do some draught horses, pony clubbers, brood mares, station horses, blah blah. Very few nice tb @ Laidley (as ever).