Nsw To Ban Greyhound Racing From July 2017

The Spotted Devil

Either way the tail docking debate was allowed to run and time was given for those for and against to argue their case,dispute claims made etc and The parliamentary system was able to function almost as it should be - no comparison in my opinion.

Could greyhound racing people/owners please post the happy ever after photos of their own dogs, whom they have saved - and who live with them, as claims are being made? I am sure we all would love to get an idea. Thanking you.

Could greyhound racing people/owners please post the happy ever after photos of their own dogs, whom they have saved - and who live with them, as claims are being made? I am sure we all would love to get an idea. Thanking you.

Why should they? Are you saying they are all liars?

Two uncles in the industry. One whose ex racers live IN the house, sleep on big comfy beds, pets first and foremost who have earned their retirement benefits. (Their kennels are pretty extravagant as well and just outside the back door.)

Other uncle, who knows where his ex-racers go. Totally different treatment of dogs, both racing and retired.

I don't have photos.

My great aunt, long since passed, had Greys who lived the life of luxury in her terrace house when they finished racing.

So, I guess you support game hunters too... maybe also live exports... Cock fighting... There are people who are denied an opportunity to work in these industries too. It doesn't make them right, moral or just.

I am far from an animal welfare nutter. I know how government's work. I'm not a lefty, nor am I overly swaying to the right. I understand how legislation is created, debated and passed by peers.

I am 100% supportive of the ban.

This is 2016. Greyhound racing is a deplorable sport. We sacrifice dogs for our sporting pleasure. I read all of the arguments and some of it reminds me of another time. The time when docking was first banned. The world was going to come crashing down I was told. Tail injuries were being recorded. 'You'll see' everyone said. This ban is wrong.

12 years on and life continues and all dogs now wag tails instead of stubs. The sky didn't fall. The purebred world didn't disappear. So too shall this pass. A period of adjustment will be a certainty, just like with docking and then life will continue on.

No I don't support game hunters, cock fighting or anything that is cruel and I consider a sport cruel when the end result is certain injury or death or anything the animal involved in it, given a choice, wouldn't participate. Try walking a greyhound past the entrance to an area where they know they have the opportunity to have a free run without them indicating they want to go in there, it is a very very sick Greyhound that doesn't want to go in and have that run.

Tail docking doesn't even vaguely compare to dogs doing something they were very much bred to and LOVE to do.

Why is Greyhound racing, done as it should be with all on a level playing field and the wastage issue addressed, a deplorable sport?? From my experience the dogs don't agree with you. They would rather have a run than lie on a couch the only time a couch would take precedence is if they are tired after their run. As I have mentioned before a track is about the safest place for them to do this.

Completely different. Greyhound racing is a beautiful sport for canine athletes doing what they love. Nothing to do with people. Cock fighting, bull fighting, dog fighting rings etc are blood sports. Greyhound racing is not a blood sport. You rarely see dogs killed while racing. Horse racing isn't a blood sport either.

Plus people who say lamb tail docking is cruel, really don't have the sheep's welfare in mind. Are we going to ban farmers for docking lamb tails (which isn't cruel imo and I live on a sheep property) or letting sickly lambs die in the paddock? I love animals but God didn't intend for us to put animals above us. Who cares about dead lambs in the paddocks? Nature intended them to die, only the strongest should survive.

I don't believe in live export either, it's cruel.

Perhaps we should ban people from having kids, simply because we see so many abused children in society. So it's rather silly to ban the entire industry (greyhounds are working dogs first and foremost, they need to race to satisfy their competitive instincts) instead of getting rid of some of the scumbags in the industry.

the reality has began apparently.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/mike-baird-greyhound-ban-breeder-told-to-prepare-to-put-down-litter-of-newborn-puppies/news-story/d84f802a12ee3e91b0be8eed907a9372

according to this, any dog born in nsw cannot be relocated to another state for racing?

To all of you anti racers who monitor this page: the blood is now on your hands. You wanted the end of greyhound racing because of 'wastage' but the end of racing means the death of more dogs and the death of a breed. And yet you're still celebrating your 'win'. You're guilty of slaughtering more dogs then any other group of people. RSPCA have already come out and stated any greyhound surrendered to them will be immediately slaughtered no questions asked and no attempt at rehoming. Baird's legislation states that any pup born between now and the ban CANNOT be sold interstate and no dog's registration can be transferred to another State meaning every single dog in NSW is doomed and faces mass genocide at your hands!

the reality has began apparently.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/mike-baird-greyhound-ban-breeder-told-to-prepare-to-put-down-litter-of-newborn-puppies/news-story/d84f802a12ee3e91b0be8eed907a9372

according to this, any dog born in nsw cannot be relocated to another state for racing?

To all of you anti racers who monitor this page: the blood is now on your hands. You wanted the end of greyhound racing because of 'wastage' but the end of racing means the death of more dogs and the death of a breed. And yet you're still celebrating your 'win'. You're guilty of slaughtering more dogs then any other group of people. RSPCA have already come out and stated any greyhound surrendered to them will be immediately slaughtered no questions asked and no attempt at rehoming. Baird's legislation states that any pup born between now and the ban CANNOT be sold interstate and no dog's registration can be transferred to another State meaning every single dog in NSW is doomed and faces mass genocide at your hands!

Sorry what?

GRNSW's statement does not say that he can't move the dogs interstate - only that he has to apply for approval to do so, or to kill them.

"But it is encouraging pup owners to have them rehomed — not put down — and said it would contact Mr Hudson to outline rehoming options.

“For owners of pups in this position who have no intention of relocating their pups interstate, GRNSW has been strongly encouraging them to seek more information on rehoming opportunities available to their pups,” a spokesman said."

How is the death of an unwanted Greyhound the fault of anyone but the person that puts a bullet in their head or pays a vet to overdose them in barbituate?

We keep being told on the one hand that people in the industry love their dogs and treat them like royalty etc etc and on the other hand we are told that thousands of dogs will die after the ban. Well which one is it? People love their dogs? Or people have no use for their dogs if they can't race them and will kill them?

It's all a moot point anyway - of the dogs born this year a good chunk of them would have been killed anyway if the ban hadn't happened, and most of the rest of them would have been killed in the coming 2-4 years. I'd say these dogs have a much better chance at life now, given the funds that are being injected in to GAP and other rehoming organisations, as well as the outpouring of compassion and awareness of the plight of ex-racing Greyhounds widening the pool of adopters.

Will some dogs die? Absolutely. Most of them would have anyway, and it's awful. Why? Because there's too many bloody Greyhounds being bred every year. That is no-one's fault but the racing industry. At least this will be the last year it happens, rather than the 'wastage' year after year after year.

RSPCA have already come out and stated any greyhound surrendered to them will be immediately slaughtered no questions asked and no attempt at rehoming.

Citation please.

Edited by melzawelza

Well I was watching the news and Coleman himself said he anticipated the majority would be euthanised going on previous kill rates for the previous year.

so whoever the quote from I put, probably heard him too.

if your argument is the kill rate , pet dogs will be next then considering the tens of thousands rspca already euthanasia every year, its a no win situation for the dogs unless Baird brings in NO KIll shelters for all canines

Suspect the lady who said this on facebook time may prove her right.

"I believe that as the New South Wales Government doesn't have a "no kill" policy for all animal shelters state wide they are colossal hypocrites with no moral authority to shut down Greyhound Racing. The fact is that extreme animal rights activists want to end all human animal/ interaction and will go after every category including: eventually, domestic pets. We are living with a totalitarian authoritarian Government which will trample on the rights of all instead of taking punitive action against the tiny minority who do the wrong thing."

this was just put up

" I think there is something in the UN sustainable living documents about how domestic animals are not part of a sustainable future. It might take some searching to find the relevant documents but the future mapped out for humanity in this agenda is high rise city living along public transport corridors and depopulating the countryside. It is all there to be found in the UN's own documents."

keep you posted if they find and post the relevant documents

Edited by asal

Well I was watching the news and Coleman himself said he anticipated the majority would be euthanised going on previous kill rates for the previous year.

That is a very different statement to what you posted above. Stop exaggerating and being ridiculous.

And I'm no fan of the RSPCA. Their kill stats are abhorrent. But he did not say that every single greyhound that comes to them will be slaughtered no questions asked.

Pointing to RSPCA kill stats is classic diversion tactics. Again the industry and its supporters try to just point the finger away from their own failings rather than accept the unacceptable issues from within. This is exactly why shutting down the industry is the only answer.

Now, anyone want to provide any evidence of the move to erode pet ownership in the many countries that banned Greyhound racing long ago? Or is that all just scaremongering and sky is falling reactions from those who think that the level of 'wastage' needed to support people gambling is just fine and dandy? I think I know which it is...

That is a very different statement to what you posted above. Stop exaggerating and being ridiculous.

And I'm no fan of the RSPCA. Their kill stats are abhorrent. But he did not say that every single greyhound that comes to them will be slaughtered no questions asked.

Pointing to RSPCA kill stats is classic diversion tactics. Again the industry and its supporters try to just point the finger away from their own failings rather than accept the unacceptable issues from within. This is exactly why shutting down the industry is the only answer.

Now, anyone want to provide any evidence of the move to erode pet ownership in the many countries that banned Greyhound racing long ago? Or is that all just scaremongering and sky is falling reactions from those who think that the level of 'wastage' needed to support people gambling is just fine and dandy? I think I know which it is...

the quote was from some one else and I stated that when I pasted it.

I also stated what I had actually heard.

From who? If you heard the quote from an RSPCA spokesperson it shouldn't be hard to find?

From who? If you heard the quote from an RSPCA spokesperson it shouldn't be hard to find?

I also heard Steve Coleman say that he felt that most would not be able to find homes and would have to be Euthanised. This was in the original newscast when Baird made the announcement.

My link

Edited by Steve

I also heard Steve Coleman say that he felt that most would not be able to find homes and would have to be Euthanised. This was in the original newscast when Baird made the announcement.

My link

thanks Steve for the link. I have read so much over the last few weeks I couldn't find a link to save myself

My link

thanks Steve for the link. I have read so much over the last few weeks I couldn't find a link to save myself

Yeah Im a bit the same and I don't think the side that is advocating for the ban to be thrown out are the only ones who may be able to be accused of exaggeration. If we are going to go in boots and all and demand links and the like that can work both ways.

There is a hell of a lot that has been tabled that people who are smarter than me have been able to question because there is no real evidence to back up much of what is on the table.

Could you please post the names of the countries that have banned grey racing?

The USA for one has banned it in almost all States for some time.

As for your quote - again, that is NOT what Asal said, which is that all Greyhounds will be automatically slaughtered without even being given a chance. I want a source for that quote (there isn't one, beecause it was never said).

So, I guess you support game hunters too... maybe also live exports... Cock fighting... There are people who are denied an opportunity to work in these industries too. It doesn't make them right, moral or just.

I am far from an animal welfare nutter. I know how government's work. I'm not a lefty, nor am I overly swaying to the right. I understand how legislation is created, debated and passed by peers.

I am 100% supportive of the ban.

This is 2016. Greyhound racing is a deplorable sport. We sacrifice dogs for our sporting pleasure. I read all of the arguments and some of it reminds me of another time. The time when docking was first banned. The world was going to come crashing down I was told. Tail injuries were being recorded. 'You'll see' everyone said. This ban is wrong.

12 years on and life continues and all dogs now wag tails instead of stubs. The sky didn't fall. The purebred world didn't disappear. So too shall this pass. A period of adjustment will be a certainty, just like with docking and then life will continue on.

No I don't support game hunters, cock fighting or anything that is cruel and I consider a sport cruel when the end result is certain injury or death or anything the animal involved in it, given a choice, wouldn't participate. Try walking a greyhound past the entrance to an area where they know they have the opportunity to have a free run without them indicating they want to go in there, it is a very very sick Greyhound that doesn't want to go in and have that run.

Tail docking doesn't even vaguely compare to dogs doing something they were very much bred to and LOVE to do.

Why is Greyhound racing, done as it should be with all on a level playing field and the wastage issue addressed, a deplorable sport?? From my experience the dogs don't agree with you. They would rather have a run than lie on a couch the only time a couch would take precedence is if they are tired after their run. As I have mentioned before a track is about the safest place for them to do this.

Why is it a deplorable sport? Really? Do you really believe that a sport that uses a living thing, that cannot speak up, and one that revolves around money and gambling is going to ever be clean, wholesome and healthy?

While it may be that a lot of years passed since the last, I personally have euthanised more greyhounds than I can count. Don't tell me there is any justification at all for this activity or ask why I call it deplorable.

My first iv injection was killing a greyhound. Killing a healthy dog on my first day with a greyhound vet. Killing it because it was surplus. I killed many, many more. We marked their heads with texta as they came through the door, with a big red E. That was so we didn't get them mixed up with the others that were there for spare rib removal (that damn rib slowed them down on corners), tonsillectomies (we can't afford to have an infected tonsil slow them down either), injuries from the track and from jumping at at the wire in their cages.

We had so many come in to be pts that we didn't even blink an eye as they handed them over. At the end of each evening it was our role as nurses to do all the killing. We always had two of us. One to catch the dog as it dropped. The kennel floor was concrete and the thud was awful so we always made sure we caught them. We then slid their bodies into black body bags and placed them in the freezer. A freezer of young healthy dogs, killed for no reason.

Do the dogs love to run? I'm bloody sure they do! I watch the dogs in the leash free areas where I live, the beach and parks, and the joy in their faces is indescribable and they're not even greyhounds!

Are all greyhound owners monsters? Not on your life. I've seen them being treated as very much loved pets and members of families - usually to joking chides from others about the reason why they're not winning at the track, and I've watched greyhound owners sobbing when they lost one unexpectedly.

But nothing I ever saw, witnessed and took part in will ever make me blind to the realities of this industry. The needless death and abuse of dogs, for a sport, for human fun. And the needless torture of animals used as live bait.

Edited by ~Anne~

The USA for one has banned it in almost all States for some time.

As for your quote - again, that is NOT what Asal said, which is that all Greyhounds will be automatically slaughtered without even being given a chance. I want a source for that quote (there isn't one, because it was never said).

Some states in the USA doesn't count as a country so if we dont know what countries have banned it how do you expect us to answer your question? The USA is over run by PETA freaks who push for all manner of nutty things and just because the USA do anything regarding animals,trade wages, or people, presidents or wars is not reference for us following suit. USA pushes for desexing all animals and Norway makes it illegal. An assumption that things are the same worldwide are on par with an assumption that most involved here are the bad guys.

If the facts point to a ban being justified then why the gag on parliamentary debate and natural justice being delivered. This isn't just about the greys its about how a group of fanatics have been able to press their opinion and will upon a group they dont agree with without due process.