Nsw To Ban Greyhound Racing From July 2017

The Spotted Devil

Curious timing...evidence of mass grave and cattle prod footage referred to police by GRNSW. I hate this. I can clearly see both sides of the argument - the report is horrendous but of course there are decent people being caught up. I don't know what the solution is. GRNSW seem incapable of overseeing the industry that's for sure.

I wonder what the story is about the greyhounds that Baird was suppose to have a media presentation with? Seems like they didn't want the media to talk to the man at all since they were all moved inside.

There really shouldn't be outrage that the RSPCA will euth quite a high number of them, they have been saying that from the outset of the announcement.

People can't see the forest for the trees.

--Lhok

I wonder what the story is about the greyhounds that Baird was suppose to have a media presentation with? Seems like they didn't want the media to talk to the man at all since they were all moved inside.

There really shouldn't be outrage that the RSPCA will euth quite a high number of them, they have been saying that from the outset of the announcement.

--Lhok

Well Im not outraged but why is it better for the RSPCA to take them and put them down when the breeders are perfectly capable of taking them to their own vets and doing the same thing?

Curious timing...evidence of mass grave and cattle prod footage referred to police by GRNSW. I hate this. I can clearly see both sides of the argument - the report is horrendous but of course there are decent people being caught up. I don't know what the solution is. GRNSW seem incapable of overseeing the industry that's for sure.

12 months and 4 years ago I believe. Why the delay? And what about the person who has had that footage for 4 years?

--Lhok

Well Im not outraged but why is it better for the RSPCA to take them and put them down when the breeders are perfectly capable of taking them to their own vets and doing the same thing?

Exactly. At least they wouldn't be subjected to the RSPCA'S stressors while they (Rspca) decide what to do with them.

--Lhok

That wasn't what I was meaning, the outrage part was because of the comment section of the link. I also think that breeder/trainer/owner should be allowed to made decisions for their own dogs in that regard.

--Lhok

--Lhok

The answer to that would be written in some bureaucratese but the actual answer is probably because the RSPCA said so.

12 months and 4 years ago I believe. Why the delay? And what about the person who has had that footage for 4 years?

Why the delay? Because the campaign against the ban seems to be gaining ground in the media and people's minds are being changed.

--Lhok

Well Im not outraged but why is it better for the R.... to take them and put them down when the breeders are perfectly capable of taking them to their own vets and doing the same thing?

That wasn't what I was meaning, the outrage part was because of the comment section of the link. I also think that breeder/trainer/owner should be allowed to made decisions for their own dogs in that regard.

--Lhok

except for the fact that obviously they are not allowed to make decisions for their own dogs now. look at the outrage of the disclosure of the mass grave of less than 100 dogs in was it five years? It read shot or bludgened, if every one had been shot then there should have been no cause for outrage, well unless its now only the ..... allowed to shoot/euth stock anymore. its euth when they pull the trigger if you arent aware of that.

no mass outraged at the 58,000 or so yearly put down by the r.... even to my awful maths that over 300,000 dogs? dont even look at the cats. although they incinerate them at yagoona, read somewhere many end up in land fill from other branches.

doesn't compute when looked at from that angle all to much but look on the bright side. thousands less dogs born and bred to be loved by the vast majority of their owners and perfect result for peta.

Edited by asal

Why the delay? Because the campaign against the ban seems to be gaining ground in the media and people's minds are being changed.

Yeah I know. I was being sarcastic

--Lhok

Well Im not outraged but why is it better for the R.... to take them and put them down when the breeders are perfectly capable of taking them to their own vets and doing the same thing?

--Lhok

except for the fact that obviously they are not allowed to make decisions for their own dogs now. look at the outrage of the disclosure of the mass grave of less than 100 dogs in was it five years? It read shot or bludgened, if every one had been shot then there should have been no cause for outrage, well unless its now only the ..... allowed to shoot/euth stock anymore. its euth when they pull the trigger if you arent aware of that.

no mass outraged at the 58,000 or so yearly put down by the r.... even to my awful maths that over 300,000 dogs? dont even look at the cats. although they incinerate them at yagoona, read somewhere many end up in land fill from other branches.

doesn't compute when looked at from that angle all to much but look on the bright side. thousands less dogs born and bred to be loved by the vast majority of their owners and perfect result for peta.

I'm sitting on the fence with this debate BUT I can tell you what DOES compute - 15% euth rates nationally (RSPCA published dog figures) vs 58% (Greyhound Australasia estimated dog figures). Yes there are other issues.

People shit all over the RSPCA. They are not the ones causing the problem. Sure maybe they could do a better job mopping up other people's shit, but ultimately it is other people's shit they're left to mop up.

There are so many holes in the report, also how many vets will go out to properties and euthanaise 40-50 dogs, not many I suspect.

Well problem is that a bullet is quicker and cleaner and more humane. Then when they spot the bods its cruelty.

People shit all over the RSPCA. They are not the ones causing the problem. Sure maybe they could do a better job mopping up other people's shit, but ultimately it is other people's shit they're left to mop up.

Yes ,however, in this country it is not an offence to have your own dogs PTS and it wouldn't matter to me whether it was the RSPCA or any other rescue group. Until such time that it IS illegal to have your own dogs put down humanely then why do we need the RSPCA to be getting loads of money and the replacement for choices that any dog owner has the right to make ?

I agree Steve. Personally I thing they got it all wrong with the greyhound thing v RSPCA. I absolutely support the ban myself but why take responsibility away from the owners to take care of their own dogs. The owner should be able to pts their own dogs. That's taking responsibility. I don't agree with overbreeding for greed resulting in such wastage but now the ban is in this will be the last of them. It would be nice if the breeders and owners were dedicated enough to keep many of the dogs as pets otherwise they shoul have the right to humanely destroy them. Sure some of them would have been surrendered to the RSPCA anyway and many of them would end up euthed so I can't judge if it's the owner or RSPCA humanely destroying them. Same difference.

Sorry I'm at work at the moment I'll come back later and add clarity if needed