Nsw To Ban Greyhound Racing From July 2017

The Spotted Devil

Politicians don't do anything unless there's something in it for them, nothing new there. But losing some land in order to stop this pathetic excuse for sport is a small price to pay.

Typical hypocrisy from dictator Baird. Do you really think he is interested in the perceived welfare aspects? The NSW Government just wants to get its hands on the tracks so that they can develop the land. Wentworth Park is the jewel in the crown but there are other tracks in regional centres they have been trying to get their hands on for years.

This will rip the heart out of many country towns.

I agree, I don't think he's done this for the dogs.

And to say that tracks will be resumed and used as open space for public amenity - is that a core or non core promise?

Typical hypocrisy from dictator Baird. Do you really think he is interested in the perceived welfare aspects? The NSW Government just wants to get its hands on the tracks so that they can develop the land. Wentworth Park is the jewel in the crown but there are other tracks in regional centres they have been trying to get their hands on for years.

This will rip the heart out of many country towns.

A really interesting perspective I had not considered (the development thing). Makes sense...

You can legislate to stop someone racing dogs ,you can try and stop them breeding for the racing industry though there is a question that will be raised about restriction of trade for the breeder and the consumer .Massive compensation payouts for those who have had approvals to do these things on their properties including devaluation of their properties and loss of livelihood etc.

But unless you ban people breeding greyhounds as they have done for pitbulls then breeding them is still a legal activity, selling them, is still a legal activity and I doubt very very much that the right to have your own dogs put to sleep is ever going to be interfered with.

There seems to be an assumption that this will see all the dogs surrendered but it may see more being killed so only the breeder and the vet knows what they are doing and more being sold interstate and overseas to protect bloodlines etc.

Personally I think that allowing any group to be exempt from the things every other breeder is and enabling them to be self policing is asking for trouble and thats why the MDBA will not apply for the exemptions Vicdogs members have in Victoria.

If they can simply call a ban on racing dogs and breeding dogs for the racing industy how long before there are bans on breeding dogs for the show ring or on various breeds of dogs? Being self governing and accepting such exemptions makes them sitting ducks.

On the back of this and on various shares of the news people have been calling for the banning of breeding animals, racing horses and eating meat.

So there are certainly people who think that this is a major win for the animal rights groups and their agenda.

--Lhok

What do you think this means for pet or show breeders? Will you guys have a hard time getting breeding dogs or will there be much impact on you guys if it goes nation-wide?

Only difference it might make for me is more people will be wanting to buy a puppy. They would all be vetted for suitability as I've always done. My show bred greys have had no racing bloodlines since 1930 or so. A lot of imported semen is used in Australia (show greys)

On the back of this and on various shares of the news people have been calling for the banning of breeding animals, racing horses and eating meat.

So there are certainly people who think that this is a major win for the animal rights groups and their agenda.

--Lhok

Shutting down greyhound racing yet allowing the live export of sheep and cattle to continue - yep, they are appeasing the animal rights groups.

Edited by trifecta

--Lhok

Shutting down greyhound racing yet allowing the live export of sheep and cattle to continue - yep, they are appeasing the animal rights groups.

I never said they were appeasing animal rights if anything I believe it is because they want the land of Wentworth track (one newspaper stated that the kings school has previously put in a tender for the land to build a sports arena). I'm not sure why you think I said that. I clearly say that there are some people who think that this is a win for major animal rights groups and because they have banned greyhound racing to continue on pushing on the back of this for an end to the stated above.

On another note I'll ask again does anyone know how this will affect lure coursing with greyhounds?

--Lhok

Edited by Lhok

--Lhok

I never said they were appeasing animal rights if anything I believe it is because they want the land of Wentworth track (one newspaper stated that the kings school has previously put in a tender for the land to build a sports arena). I'm not sure why you think I said that. I clearly say that there are some people who think that this is a win for major animal rights groups and because they have banned greyhound racing to continue on pushing on the back of this for an end to the stated above.

On another note I'll ask again does anyone know how this will affect lure coursing with greyhounds?

--Lhok

I didn't think you said that Lhok! Sorry I was in a hurry and should have said this will go some way to appease animal rights groups and take the heat off the live export industry. I know it is different governments being State versus Federal but they are both Liberal and the ACT is a poor excuse for a Labor Government.

Interestingly, South Australia is not going to ban greyhound racing.

The Kings wanting Wentworth? They're miles apart. Kings is in North Parramatta. Wentworth Park is in Glebe.

I'd say it's the media playing with the truth.

As for Baird doing it as a development grab - I mean really?!

Edited by ~Anne~

Oops - wrong Kings. :laugh:

You said Kings school, the article is referring to the basketball team - Sydney Kings.

ahahahahahahaha like I said I don't know Sydney at all, and only could read the first bit so in my brain Kings is the school.

--Lhok