Nsw To Ban Greyhound Racing From July 2017

The Spotted Devil

Exactly, the 3 day old was taken while the wife kept me busy and the hubby took the pup while my back was turned, as they drove down the drive my hubby said check that litter I think her husband was up to something, I rang the police while they were still leaving my home, I knew where they lived as they had bought a puppy previusly yet the police refused to do a thing unless I would lie and say I had seen them actually put the puppy in the car.

I have only got two stolen puppies back and neither thanks to the police, they were taken together, one was found running beside a 4 lane highway, how she wasnt killed is a miracle, can only presume whoever they sold her too didnt have a secure backyard, got a phone call from the vet who her finder took her too, and she came safely home.

the second one some months later spotted her photo on a gumtree add her buyer had a new job back in japan was returning to japan and couldn't afford the airfare to take her with her, so advertised her, again the local police were useless, couldn't believe I could recognise a 6 weeks old puppy 3 months after her disappearance. (she had unique markings) so i answered the add myself, unfortunately by the time I arrived she had been sold but once she knew the story gave me the details of the new buyer who I then gave to the police, big pat to the Redfern police force. they arranged pickup of my puppy although things got ugly quickly, although the new buyers had their money back, decided I must not deserve to have her if she could be stolen in the first place and them and a dozen friends and relie's came to the station to demand her back. So while they were demonstrating in the foyer I and my puppy was smuggled out the back entrance in a paddy waggon. scary stuff!

days later the japanese lady spotted an add by the couple she bought my puppy from, a friend made an appointment to see the advertised pet at a service station and asked for their number plate so she could recognise who she was looking for. I notified the police that the theives would be there and the time but nope , didnt want to know, told me I had to notify the police where the service station was, went there and again no one wanted to know, well that is until I gave them the licence plate. BOY! the place emptied and I mean it, 20 shot out of the place , no kidding. turned out there were 6 warrants out for the owner of that car. they were tagged as armed and dangerous and professional house breakers. well they nabbed em, high on ice they said, the both confessed but he retracted and the wife pleaded guilty and received a suspended sentance.

so the message is the only way to be safe is never let anyone know where you live.

or if you let people come because thanks to the stuff on sites Saying you have to, or unethical, and they do come back and help themselves, do your own legwork if you want any hopes but its pretty hard though, they are the only two to come back home

Edited by asal

So how is this in any way relevant to the greyhound owners ?

They too are guilty by association, they did not prevent the unethical's in their ranks so all are going to pay the penalty, thanks to Baird, the greens and the AR's.

what honestly makes anyone think, all dog owners and breeders are not going to be next?

Until no dogs end up in pounds or euthanised its the next logical step.

Edited by asal

Maybe it'll give industry participants an insight into how emotionally damaging it is to have to rescue their dogs; one after another, year in and year out, a never-ending stream of dogs, never enough space, having to turn dogs away knowing they'd die, being emotionally blackmailed by trainers, having to hold dogs as they die because they can't be rehomed but their owners won't take them back. And that's on top of the abuse copped from industry participants- being called a do-gooder, being told that our rescued dogs would have been happier dead (seriously) and all the while, being treated as a free dog disposal service.

Maybe Lifeline could talk to some of the burnt-out and broken rescuers who gave up their lives/money/family just for the love of the dogs, if they want to hear about people contemplating suicide or having breakdowns :mad

Maybe it'll give industry participants an insight into how emotionally damaging it is to have to rescue their dogs; one after another, year in and year out, a never-ending stream of dogs, never enough space, having to turn dogs away knowing they'd die, being emotionally blackmailed by trainers, having to hold dogs as they die because they can't be rehomed but their owners won't take them back. And that's on top of the abuse copped from industry participants- being called a do-gooder, being told that our rescued dogs would have been happier dead (seriously) and all the while, being treated as a free dog disposal service.

Maybe Lifeline could talk to some of the burnt-out and broken rescuers who gave up their lives/money/family just for the love of the dogs, if they want to hear about people contemplating suicide or having breakdowns :mad

very true, far better the emotionally weak who cant cope euthanasia themselves.

bet not one of those who do that, are the ones who drop their dogs off for you to dispose of though, but who cares, they are people and people don't have the right to feelings. always intrigues me how those who love their animals to the exclusion of the human race don't care a fig about the suffering of the others who too fear their own race though a myrid of causes, can only find solace with their animals, as my husband queried probably the majority suffer from either PTSD or acute depression. They are not bad people they are sad people who need compassion just as much as their pets.

The AR in particular PETA people leave me in many instances feeling they not only despise their own species they have no compassion for the animals they so want to "set free" when they kill them. even less for the devastation of those who love them.

if you want an example the kill wagons in America, they pick them up and kill them in the vans, including that chihuahua taken from her owners verandah when they couldn't entice her off it after entering her owners land, so the two of them went up the stairs onto the verandah caught her and carried her to their van then killed her, she was not a stray, she was not wandering the streets, she was on her owners verandah and knew she was not to leave it, but they killed her anyway.

I hope I am wrong, but I suspect this will come to Australia sooner rather than later

Edited by asal

I'm sorry you and others have had to go through this Maddy x

I'm sorry you and others have had to go through this Maddy x

As I said, earlier somewhere, my daughter gave up her dream of becoming a vet after the work experience of the heartbreaking number of perfectly healthy dogs being put down, for what she considered utterly frivolous reasons I do understand how upsetting that is. Not feeling empathy for those who through no fault of their own are lumped into the everyone boat is what I feel equally sad for.

Well said (heartbreakingly so).

I really do feel for you Maddy, I have walked your talk also which is why I am an advocate for the industry to continue with strict reforms put in place. In 11 mths time I don't want to feel those feelings of helplessness, sorrow for the many dogs that will die. I just don't want it,it's bad enough as it is. To be honest, I don't understand people that think an avalanche of dogs that will die, because the industry comes to a screeching halt is better than a trickle being able to be rescued, due to the slow death because it may not be sustainable as has happened in America. Call me thick but I just don't get it.

Edited by m-j

I really do feel for you Maddy, I have walked your talk also which is why I am an advocate for the industry to continue with strict reforms put in place. In 11 mths time I don't want to feel those feelings of helplessness, sorrow for the many dogs that will die. I just don't want it,it's bad enough as it is. To be honest, I don't understand people that think an avalanche of dogs that will die, because the industry comes to a screeching halt is better than a trickle being able to be rescued, due to the slow death because it may not be sustainable as has happened in America. Call me thick but I just don't get it.

I absolutely agree that the shut down should have been organised differently- starting with a ban on further breeding, followed by a ban on new registrations or transfers into NSW after a certain point (24 months after banning breeding would be plenty of time to get the last pups through) and then allowing the industry to just age out gradually. A plan like that would be at least five years but by the time it finally stopped, numbers would have been reduced anyway by the breeding ban and proper rehoming systems could have been organised and put in place for the remaining dogs.

I also have serious reservations about how the RSPCA is handling this- I got emailed an application form to help the NSW greys, by an organisation with a pretty dreadful history with regards to rehoming, and if I'm being honest, I was quite offended that I should be subject to "approval" by them. Now, I can understand why this approval process might exist but this particular application form was not at all suitable for weeding out the dodgy rescues from the good ones- it was just a pointless hoop to jump through and, I suspect, a means of weeding out as many rescues as they could. Transferring dogs to community rescue groups is more work than just putting them to sleep and I can't help but think (based on my experiences with the RSPCA down here) that outcomes for the dogs will come a distant second to expediency in disposing of dogs.

bet not one of those who do that, are the ones who drop their dogs off for you to dispose of though, but who cares, they are people and people don't have the right to feelings. always intrigues me how those who love their animals to the exclusion of the human race don't care a fig about the suffering of the others who too fear their own race though a myrid of causes, can only find solace with their animals, as my husband queried probably the majority suffer from either PTSD or acute depression. They are not bad people they are sad people who need compassion just as much as their pets.

ASAL, no offense, but you don't know shit about the sorts of people who drop dogs off at my house or call me about "disposing of" their dogs. You just read my post about the emotional strain that rescuing takes on a person (and believe me, it can be terrible) and then turned that into some absurd waffle about how people who are AR nuts don't think other people have feelings. In reply to me expressing how distressing rescue was/is for me.

But anyway.. yes, these people who give no f**** at all about my emotional health are exactly the sort who I have to deal with. The very first dog I ever took was a phone call on a Saturday saying that if the dog wasn't collected by first thing Monday morning, it'd be going to the vet. The next dog came from the vet, owner had dropped it off, said they didn't care what was done with it and walked away. Another from a vet, same thing, over and over again. The worst was actually a few years ago.. a trainer called me to take a dog because he didn't want to pay the $45 disposal cost at the nearest vet. I agreed to take the dog and said I'd call him back to discuss details when I got home (I was at the vet at the time), when I got home and called him, he informed me that he'd had an offer on the dog and if I wanted to save her, I'd have to better the buyer's offer. I couldn't afford a few thousand dollars he claimed the other person had offered so I had no option but to tell him to call me if the sale fell through. According to FastTrack, that poor dog is now "retired". And these are some of the people I have to deal with- they know they can emotionally manipulate me, that they can lie to me, because at the end of the day, the welfare of the dog's is what matters most to me and I'll put up with the stress/lack of money/lack of time/emotional exhaustion. So yeah, they can cry me a f***ing river at this point. They think the industry shutting down is bad, maybe they should try cleaning up after it for almost a decade.

Edited by Maddy

I absolutely agree that the shut down should have been organised differently- starting with a ban on further breeding, followed by a ban on new registrations or transfers into NSW after a certain point (24 months after banning breeding would be plenty of time to get the last pups through) and then allowing the industry to just age out gradually. A plan like that would be at least five years but by the time it finally stopped, numbers would have been reduced anyway by the breeding ban and proper rehoming systems could have been organised and put in place for the remaining dogs.

I also have serious reservations about how the RSPCA is handling this- I got emailed an application form to help the NSW greys, by an organisation with a pretty dreadful history with regards to rehoming, and if I'm being honest, I was quite offended that I should be subject to "approval" by them. Now, I can understand why this approval process might exist but this particular application form was not at all suitable for weeding out the dodgy rescues from the good ones- it was just a pointless hoop to jump through and, I suspect, a means of weeding out as many rescues as they could. Transferring dogs to community rescue groups is more work than just putting them to sleep and I can't help but think (based on my experiences with the RSPCA down here) that outcomes for the dogs will come a distant second to expediency in disposing of dogs.

ASAL, no offense, but you don't know shit about the sorts of people who drop dogs off at my house or call me about "disposing of" their dogs. You just read my post about the emotional strain that rescuing takes on a person (and believe me, it can be terrible) and then turned that into some absurd waffle about how people who are AR nuts don't think other people have feelings. In reply to me expressing how distressing rescue was/is for me.

But anyway.. yes, these people who give no f**** at all about my emotional health are exactly the sort who I have to deal with. The very first dog I ever took was a phone call on a Saturday saying that if the dog wasn't collected by first thing Monday morning, it'd be going to the vet. The next dog came from the vet, owner had dropped it off, said they didn't care what was done with it and walked away. Another from a vet, same thing, over and over again. The worst was actually a few years ago.. a trainer called me to take a dog because he didn't want to pay the $45 disposal cost at the nearest vet. I agreed to take the dog and said I'd call him back to discuss details when I got home (I was at the vet at the time), when I got home and called him, he informed me that he'd had an offer on the dog and if I wanted to save her, I'd have to better the buyer's offer. I couldn't afford a few thousand dollars he claimed the other person had offered so I had no option but to tell him to call me if the sale fell through. According to FastTrack, that poor dog is now "retired". And these are some of the people I have to deal with- they know they can emotionally manipulate me, that they can lie to me, because at the end of the day, the welfare of the dog's is what matters most to me and I'll put up with the stress/lack of money/lack of time/emotional exhaustion. So yeah, they can cry me a f***ing river at this point. They think the industry shutting down is bad, maybe they should try cleaning up after it for almost a decade.

I've worked as a vet assistant so I know how it feels to put down so many dogs, it is emotionally upsetting and draining. Most were pet dogs that had outgrown their puppy cuteness. In one year of working at the clinic in a country town though, I've only seen 3-4 greyhounds brought in to be pts. I usually walked out of the room if it was a greyhound as I have an affinity for the breed more than any other so it is more devastating to me and yes I felt enraged at the trainer for being such a shit to get rid of his dogs just because they weren't fast enough.

However, I'm human enough to be aware that just because some trainers are shitheads, I don't go around hating every trainer on the planet. I'm not that nutty to do that.

I am friends with a rehoming group lady who often speak to me about her despair and disgust at callous trainers who threatened to pts their greyhound if she didn't come pick it up asap by a certain day/time, or those trainers that dumped greys at a council pound tied to a fence etc etc She often has to go to a vet clinic to pick up unwanted greys as the vet knows her and will usually call her when a grey comes in to be pts. I sympathize with her and we often get details of earbrands and report the trainers to GRNSW however unfortunately being a corrupt government run body, GRNSW often cannot act on these reports and tell us they'll look into it but never seem to in most cases.

The financial strain on her has been enormous and she relies on donations to help her small private rehoming group to be able to get the greys desexed and other vet treatments.

She knows not all trainers are like this though and luckily hasn't turned into an anti.

Guess what, because she hasn't been bashing trainers, she quite often gets more donations from nice trainers.

I get so angry with antis because they seem to think they have a right to bash every participant in the industry for no good reason except they prefer to judge everyone to be the same. It's such a generalised assumption, when antis say all greyhound racing owners are scumbags, they're calling me that as well.

At least have the decency to say you hate these trainers that did the deed, not say "I hate everyone of you in the industry"

Those who take in greyhounds from trainers but don't get a name or details of the earbrands and don't report them to GRNSW, are just as guilty as the scumbags because they do nothing but whinge on social media instead of helping to fix up the problems. GRNSW won't know there are greyhounds being dumped unless the rescue people get off their bums and report the details.

Edited by mystify

I've worked as a vet assistant so I know how it feels to put down so many dogs, it is emotionally upsetting and draining. Most were pet dogs that had outgrown their puppy cuteness. In one year of working at the clinic in a country town though, I've only seen 3-4 greyhounds brought in to be pts. I usually walked out of the room if it was a greyhound as I have an affinity for the breed more than any other so it is more devastating to me and yes I felt enraged at the trainer for being such a shit to get rid of his dogs just because they weren't fast enough.

However, I'm human enough to be aware that just because some trainers are shitheads, I don't go around hating every trainer on the planet. I'm not that nutty to do that.

I am friends with a rehoming group lady who often speak to me about her despair and disgust at callous trainers who threatened to pts their greyhound if she didn't come pick it up asap by a certain day/time, or those trainers that dumped greys at a council pound tied to a fence etc etc She often has to go to a vet clinic to pick up unwanted greys as the vet knows her and will usually call her when a grey comes in to be pts. I sympathize with her and we often get details of earbrands and report the trainers to GRNSW however unfortunately being a corrupt government run body, GRNSW often cannot act on these reports and tell us they'll look into it but never seem to.

I get so angry with antis because they seem to think they have a right to bash every participant in the industry for no good reason except they prefer to judge everyone to be the same. It's such a generalised assumption, when antis say all greyhound racing owners are scumbags, they're calling me that as well.

At least have the decency to say you hate these trainers that did the deed, not say "I hate everyone of you in the industry"

Those who take in greyhounds from trainers but don't get a name or details of the earbrands and don't report them to GRNSW, are just as guilty as the scumbags because they do nothing but whinge on social media instead of helping to fix up the problems. GRNSW won't know there are greyhounds being dumped unless the rescue people get off their bums and report the details.

I don't hate every trainer on the planet and I've acknowledged here and in other threads that there are some who actually do care. You basically popped up on Dol when this thread appeared and presumably couldn't be bothered to read older threads on the racing issue to get any sort of idea about me or how I feel about racing before you rushed into idiotic assumptions and imply that I am nutty and have no decency. I'm not an anti, I'm not a nutter and I'm not some AR vegan kook. It's people like you, however, who make me even more sure that banning the sport was probably the right thing to do.

Edited by Maddy

It was rushed through because it is a land grab, from the rumours I've heard the developers already have their hands up for Wentworth Park saying pick me. To add insult to injury they are not from Australia. The Greens well anything for a vote.

While I honestly do understand how you feel I have also been on the other side of the coin from working in the industry. I took a dog to the vet she had been bitten on the leg by her neighbour as she was trying to steal his bone. The vet who didn't know me took xrays and informed me that infection had got into the bone and she couldn't send the dog home with me she needed to stay there. I knew what the owner was like and I knew he wasn't going to pay for the dog to stay at the vet and yes he said put it down, I tried to get the dog but he appeared to think I had an ulterior motive. I made a special trip into town so I could be with the dog as she was being euthed as I'm walking out the car bawling my eyes out the older vet who knew me was walking out with me saying how sorry he was that he had been away when I originally came in and that he was unable to change the young vets mind and how he wished I had been his patient as he would have let me take the dog knowing I would have treated her and not let her suffer in any way, talk about a triple whammy, mistrust from both industries (except the older vet) and the only real loser in the whole scenario a dead dog that didn't need to be. I'd had better days.

I also have known lovely owners who I really liked it takes all kinds to make a world.

ETA

I was actually surprised at what the young vet told me as there was very little swelling and the dog wasn't lethargic at all, but I'm not a vet.

Edited by m-j

It was rushed through because it is a land grab, from the rumours I've heard the developers already have their hands up for Wentworth Park saying pick me. To add insult to injury they are not from Australia. The Greens well anything for a vote.

While I honestly do understand how you feel I have also been on the other side of the coin from working in the industry. I took a dog to the vet she had been bitten on the leg by her neighbour as she was trying to steal his bone. The vet who didn't know me took xrays and informed me that infection had got into the bone and she couldn't send the dog home with me she needed to stay there. I knew what the owner was like and I knew he wasn't going to pay for the dog to stay at the vet and yes he said put it down, I tried to get the dog but he appeared to think I had an ulterior motive. I made a special trip into town so I could be with the dog as she was being euthed as I'm walking out the car bawling my eyes out the older vet who knew me was walking out with me saying how sorry he was that he had been away when I originally came in and that he was unable to change the young vets mind and how he wished I had been his patient as he would have let me take the dog knowing I would have treated her and not let her suffer in any way, talk about a triple whammy, mistrust from both industries (except the older vet) and the only real loser in the whole scenario a dead dog that didn't need to be. I'd had better days.

I also have known lovely owners who I really liked it takes all kinds to make a world.

ETA

I was actually surprised at what the young vet told me as there was very little swelling and the dog wasn't lethargic at all, but I'm not a vet.

My old boy had osteomyelitis in one of his toes (he tore the nail slightly at the base, bacteria got into the base of the nail, spread up into the bone) and he showed no signs of any discomfort, either. The only reason I noticed was he had some lick staining on one particular toe. Initial course of broad spectrum ABs did nothing. Second course of much stronger ABs seemed to start working but then stopped. We made the choice to amputate that section of toe before the infection got any further.

We were very lucky in that not only was the infection just in the toe, but in the very last bone of the toe, which meant we had time to try other things and when it did have to come off, it was a quick, cheap and easy surgery that he recovered from really well. Osteomyelitis in a leg bone could be a whole other issue though and could require complete removal of that leg so I can understand the younger vet's reasoning. If the owner was a tightarse, the prospect of a heap of money spent to end up with a three-legged dog.. I doubt they would've been keen on that. Also, if the owner refuses to sign over the dog, the young vet was (unfortunately) right to refuse to give the dog to you. She would have been breaking the law to do so. It's sad that the dog ended up dead just because the owner was too selfish/stupid to just let her go to someone else but then, I've heard of perfectly healthy greys being destroyed because the owner doesn't want someone else to make money off a dog that they failed with. I think it's maybe less about the actual money and a bit more about the pride. Which when you think about it, is even more disgustingly selfish.

ETA

My old boy had osteomyelitis in one of his toes (he tore the nail slightly at the base, bacteria got into the base of the nail, spread up into the bone) and he showed no signs of any discomfort, either. The only reason I noticed was he had some lick staining on one particular toe. Initial course of broad spectrum ABs did nothing. Second course of much stronger ABs seemed to start working but then stopped. We made the choice to amputate that section of toe before the infection got any further.

We were very lucky in that not only was the infection just in the toe, but in the very last bone of the toe, which meant we had time to try other things and when it did have to come off, it was a quick, cheap and easy surgery that he recovered from really well. Osteomyelitis in a leg bone could be a whole other issue though and could require complete removal of that leg so I can understand the younger vet's reasoning. If the owner was a tightarse, the prospect of a heap of money spent to end up with a three-legged dog.. I doubt they would've been keen on that. Also, if the owner refuses to sign over the dog, the young vet was (unfortunately) right to refuse to give the dog to you. She would have been breaking the law to do so. It's sad that the dog ended up dead just because the owner was too selfish/stupid to just let her go to someone else but then, I've heard of perfectly healthy greys being destroyed because the owner doesn't want someone else to make money off a dog that they failed with. I think it's maybe less about the actual money and a bit more about the pride. Which when you think about it, is even more disgustingly selfish.

She refused to send the dog home with me prior to contacting the owner. She told me that they could treat it better at the clinic. I also didn't see the x-rays She didn't even give me a chance as you were given. The older, more experienced, just as caring vet who knew me was prepared to though I did find it odd.

The way things are now the owner couldn't have told me to euth the dog. I worked in a rearing kennel the dogs weren't racing As he came from Tassie (he couldn't see his dogs) and had about 6 dogs with us he probably thought that I was going to take it to race because Id noticed it was fast or something like that who knows.

I am friends with a rehoming group lady who often speak to me about her despair and disgust at callous trainers who threatened to pts their greyhound if she didn't come pick it up asap by a certain day/time, or those trainers that dumped greys at a council pound tied to a fence etc etc She often has to go to a vet clinic to pick up unwanted greys as the vet knows her and will usually call her when a grey comes in to be pts. I sympathize with her and we often get details of earbrands and report the trainers to GRNSW however unfortunately being a corrupt government run body, GRNSW often cannot act on these reports and tell us they'll look into it but never seem to.

I don't hate every trainer on the planet and I've acknowledged here and in other threads that there are some who actually do care. You basically popped up on Dol when this thread appeared and presumably couldn't be bothered to read older threads on the racing issue to get any sort of idea about me or how I feel about racing before you rushed into idiotic assumptions and imply that I am nutty and have no decency. I'm not an anti, I'm not a nutter and I'm not some AR vegan kook. It's people like you, however, who make me even more sure that banning the sport was probably the right thing to do.

I wondered why you got angry and then I just re read my post and looked at this sentence "At least have the decency to say you hate these trainers that did the deed, not say "I hate everyone of you in the industry" " and I realised you must have took it to mean you personally, when I was speaking generally about all antis that say they hate all trainers. I've never seen you post that you hate all trainers, so it wasn't even targeted at you.

So I apologise for this misunderstanding.

Edited by mystify

and what I was trying to say was the people who will lose it and kill themselves will not be the kind of people who do that to you. they will be the ones who really do care and are as distressed as you but don't have the strength to think things through to a solution but are overwhelmed to the degree they cant see past the pain. These are the ones baird doesnt care about. the ones who dump them on you will just do exactly that, dump and walk away.

ETA

She refused to send the dog home with me prior to contacting the owner. She told me that they could treat it better at the clinic. I also didn't see the x-rays She didn't even give me a chance as you were given. The older, more experienced, just as caring vet who knew me was prepared to though I did find it odd.

The way things are now the owner couldn't have told me to euth the dog. I worked in a rearing kennel the dogs weren't racing As he came from Tassie (he couldn't see his dogs) and had about 6 dogs with us he probably thought that I was going to take it to race because Id noticed it was fast or something like that who knows.

I wonder if that was because they suspected the dog would not be returned for treatment or that medication regime would not be complied with. Although as I understand it, their legal obligations don't actually extend to preventing the withholding of veterinary care. The law might be different up there but down here, if a vet suspects you won't return with an animal who requires care, the only thing they can really do (legally) is report it to the RSPCA for follow-up (which many won't do because it can discourage people from bringing their animals in to the vet to start with).

That aside, the cheap, short-term treatment would most likely just be ABs and some anti-inflammatories and those can be given just fine at home. I think I would've been wanting to know exactly what treatment they were starting and why they felt the dog was better off staying at the clinic- considering a home environment might be better for a number of reasons. If you have legal responsibility for an animal (which, as defined by the AWA, you would, as a trainer or rearer), they can't just refuse to give the dog back to you. Unless the bill hadn't been paid yet- that makes it a whole different story. I've seen dogs (pet dogs, not greyhounds) withheld from their owners at clinics because the owner turned up to collect the dog with no money to pay the bill.

ETA

I wonder if that was because they suspected the dog would not be returned for treatment or that medication regime would not be complied with. Although as I understand it, their legal obligations don't actually extend to preventing the withholding of veterinary care. The law might be different up there but down here, if a vet suspects you won't return with an animal who requires care, the only thing they can really do (legally) is report it to the RSPCA for follow-up (which many won't do because it can discourage people from bringing their animals in to the vet to start with).

That aside, the cheap, short-term treatment would most likely just be ABs and some anti-inflammatories and those can be given just fine at home. I think I would've been wanting to know exactly what treatment they were starting and why they felt the dog was better off staying at the clinic- considering a home environment might be better for a number of reasons. If you have legal responsibility for an animal (which, as defined by the AWA, you would, as a trainer or rearer), they can't just refuse to give the dog back to you. Unless the bill hadn't been paid yet- that makes it a whole different story. I've seen dogs (pet dogs, not greyhounds) withheld from their owners at clinics because the owner turned up to collect the dog with no money to pay the bill.

This is what I believe except not they, just her. I had been going to that vet clinic for nearly 20yrs I had never seen her before, the older vet many times. The older vet did tell me he tried to get her to change her mind but he couldn't override her decision as I wasn't his patient. They have given me dogs before without the bill being paid, she euthed the dog without the bill being paid and she did look surprised I had turned up just to say goodbye I didn't need to be there. During the initial visit I did ask questions but I'm not a vet, so in reality who am I to say she is wrong and I had duty of care to the dog and the owner to do what I was told by the expert as to what was best for the dog, plus I had to get back to the kennels as I hadn't finished what I needed to do there. I didn't talk to the older vet until after the dog was euthed. If any of the other vets there, who all knew me, had treated the dog, I would have been able to take her home.

Just a very sad circumstance and while I don't really know I'm guessing she did pre judge me as a scumbag greyhound person to say that she wouldn't release the dog despite other vets saying it would be ok kind of points to that. I never saw her after that.

This is what I believe except not they, just her. I had been going to that vet clinic for nearly 20yrs I had never seen her before, the older vet many times. The older vet did tell me he tried to get her to change her mind but he couldn't override her decision as I wasn't his patient. They have given me dogs before without the bill being paid, she euthed the dog without the bill being paid and she did look surprised I had turned up just to say goodbye I didn't need to be there. During the initial visit I did ask questions but I'm not a vet, so in reality who am I to say she is wrong and I had duty of care to the dog and the owner to do what I was told by the expert as to what was best for the dog, plus I had to get back to the kennels as I hadn't finished what I needed to do there. I didn't talk to the older vet until after the dog was euthed. If any of the other vets there, who all knew me, had treated the dog, I would have been able to take her home.

Just a very sad circumstance and while I don't really know I'm guessing she did pre judge me as a scumbag greyhound person to say that she wouldn't release the dog despite other vets saying it would be ok kind of points to that. I never saw her after that.

This sort of reminds me of something that happened to a friend of mine-

The friend had a couple of pedigree pekes and wanted to breed a litter to keep entirely for herself. The breeder of the pekes said the match was fine but to do the usual vet checks first. Friend went to a vet in a lower socioeconomic area and the vet assumed she was planning on backyard breeding pekes for profit and was being very pushy about her desexing them, instead.

Now, in the vet's defense, most of the breeding he sees is irresponsible and profit-motivated. Same vet used to do euthanasia for the local RSPCA so he knows all too well what happens to a lot of backyard bred pups. Same vet also happens to be my vet and I know he would've only said what he honestly thought was best (given he didn't know the friend or her reasons for wanting to breed). And although I did explain all this to the friend, she was still pretty miffed to be treated like puppy farming scum. Unfortunately though, when you're the exception to the rule.. that's how it is.

Having to put down young, healthy dogs with minor, fixable injuries isn't going to create an especially positive opinion of the people involved, even if some of them are being forced to do it against their own better judgement.