Greyhound Racing To Be Shut Down

Flashsmum

http://www.greyhoundracinginquiry.justice.nsw.gov.au/Documents/fact-sheet-greyhound-racing-industry-nsw-special-commission-of-inquiry.pdf

http://www.greyhoundracinginquiry.justice.nsw.gov.au/Documents/q-and-a-transitioning-nsw-greyhound-racing-industry-to-closure.pdf

You can read the above official statements from the NSW Gov if you don't have time to read the inquiry (which only presents recommendations to the NSW Gov that they can act on/ignore)

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if the industry was squeaky clean and perfect, at the end of the day it is still engaging animals with no choice in an activity purely for the monetary gain and entertainment of humans, and for me personally, it doesn't matter how well packaged that is, its fundamentally wrong in this day and age FULL STOP. I hope it is the start of a domino effect to see this industry halted. Yes people will be upset, lose money, lose a lot of other stuff but the sun will still rise and set on a world without exploiting animals for greed and entertainment and that makes me happy.

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Should be on a Billboard, Gruf.

ETA: :offtopic: Glad to see Gruf taking centre stage again :laugh: :laugh:

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling

Looks like breeding greyhounds for racing is going to be illegal in NSW, I wonder how they are going to police that?

Nothing I can find about the ban on the presence of greyhounds except for the article I linked earlier so I guess jury is still out on it for now.

Call me cynical, however I still can't see a future for racing greys in NSW.

--Lhok

Hi Vehs,

Older Greys are always hard to re-home. Like every other breed, Greyhounds have shared traits but if you can imagine a scale of 1 to 10, an individual dog will fall at different parts of that scale for different traits and it will vary from individual to individual. Find one that meets your needs!

If it is possible to have (preferably several) on-lead group walks with your dogs and a Grey you like in a neutral territory, you might find that helps all of the dogs to become comfortable with each other.

Good luck:-)

I just spent an hour chatting to my neighbour who used to race about the issue.

Although he is now out of it, he is gutted, but feels the governing bodies are to blame for turning a blind eye.

When i mentioned the trainer on tv last night ( and his banned wife), he said if their names were on a race list you knew you had no chance against their dogs , it wasn't a level playing field.

I also believe part of the report showed that even after the practices were brought to light last year live baiting still continued.

I don't think the other states will follow.

Although he is now out of it, he is gutted, but feels the governing bodies are to blame for turning a blind eye.

When i mentioned the trainer on tv last night ( and his banned wife), he said if their names were on a race list you knew you had no chance against their dogs , it wasn't a level playing field.

I also believe part of the report showed that even after the practices were brought to light last year live baiting still continued.

Government will not regulate. They have no interest in regulation. If the industry won't then it is not a viable industry.

My local Pound have an arrangement with one of the local greyhound people to take his dogs in to the pound and they will rehome them and that's exactly what they have done very successfully for many years and from memory none have been put to sleep.

Bit off topic, Maree, but I think I know who you mean, and this news will mean we will lose one of the only independently owned pet shops that does not and never has sold live animals. We will also lose our supplier of affordable fresh meat for our dogs as I don't think the owner will continue with his pet business. So what people may ask? Well this will impact on boarding kennels, vets and pet owners in the Queanbeyan/ Canberra region who rely on this supplier.

Furthermore the big trainers with multi million dollar set ups will move interstate while the hobby owners will not be able to afford to.....so the little man gets shafted again. NSW has 8000 participants in greyhound racing and employs 2000 people. That's a lot of jobs. Then what will happen to the tax dollar? NSW gets $300m dollars per year from greyhound racing turnover countrywide - is the Government now going to refuse revenue from interstate racing bodies?

Gah, it's such a mess, when you start thinking about the wider ramifications. I don't think it's been thought through at all.

Government will not regulate. They have no interest in regulation. If the industry won't then it is not a viable industry.

Well they are taking the money off them why dont they regulate or at least take away their self regulation and give some of the money to the RSPCA to regulate as they do every other breeder in NSW ?

No, the abuse will come from the pet owners who have no idea about Greyhounds but adopt one to save it. There will also be an increase in attacks by Greyhounds on cats and small dogs, because people will be adopting dogs that are not suitable for suburban life. I can't see this whole situation ending well at all. And as always, the biggest losers will be the dogs.

Yes. When live baiting came out it really kicked off a lot of interest in saving them.

What worries me; there is the line is that if the dog has no tattoo, you can't prove it's a grey and therefore it doesn't need a muzzle. It makes a more appealing rehoming prospect.

(edit; wtf is going on with my formatting!)

Edited by Powerlegs

No, the abuse will come from the pet owners who have no idea about Greyhounds but adopt one to save it. There will also be an increase in attacks by Greyhounds on cats and small dogs, because people will be adopting dogs that are not suitable for suburban life. I can't see this whole situation ending well at all. And as always, the biggest losers will be the dogs.

Yes. When live baiting came out it really kicked off a lot of interest in saving them.

What worries me; there is the line is that if the dog has no tattoo, you can't prove it's a grey and therefore it doesn't need a muzzle. It makes a more appealing rehoming prospect.

I doubt you'll be able to buy one anyway once the businesses that provided greyhound racing supplies go to the wall.

I doubt you'll be able to buy one anyway once the businesses that provided greyhound racing supplies go to the wall.

Of course you will even if it's off eBay and from overseas.

Even if the industry was squeaky clean and perfect, at the end of the day it is still engaging animals with no choice in an activity purely for the monetary gain and entertainment of humans, and for me personally, it doesn't matter how well packaged that is, its fundamentally wrong in this day and age FULL STOP. I hope it is the start of a domino effect to see this industry halted. Yes people will be upset, lose money, lose a lot of other stuff but the sun will still rise and set on a world without exploiting animals for greed and entertainment and that makes me happy.

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Have you ever met a Greyhound?? They LOVE to race! There is nothing cruel about training and racing Greyhounds. The issue is about training methods and reducing over supply. Should we ban pet dogs as well? I mean, they have no choice to be a pet. What about agility dogs? Show dogs?

Well done Mike Baird. Suggest people jump on line, thank him and urge him to stand firm. The industry pressure to reverse the decision will be significant.

Obviously you are not from NSW, westiemum!

The man is a right wing dictator who has his eyes set on Canberra and most likely leadership, in time, of the Federal Liberal Party.

There are 65 greyhound tracks in the country, 33 in NSW. In our regional towns and cities, and particularly in Sydney, the greyhound tracks sit on valuable land that developers have been trying to get their hands on for decades. This is nothing more than a land grab and what makes it more obvious is that other states are not following suit. The exception is the ACT which has followed NSW. Coincidence that they have been trying to move the greyhound club off the land at Symonston for sometime and that they have also expressed a desire to resume the land at Thoroughbred Park?

No trifecta its obvious I'm not from NSW and its unlike you to be so rude. This is a national forum and where you are from should not dictate your opinion.

The use of the land will be dictated by the owners as it should be - some is owned by the Crown (e.g. Wentworth Park), others are in private hands such as the track at Richmond. And thats as it should be. If Crown land is required for housing (public or private) or is retained for public space I have no problem with it. In fact it could be argued that the Greyhound industry has tied up enough public land for long enough - decades - that its now time for it to be returned to general public benefit and use.

The other states are not following suit for now. The minister here today has said 'zero tolerance', report cruelty and and if he has any evidence of cruelty and abhorrent practices he will follow suit. The major difference between NSW and the other states is that NSW was the only one to have the guts and integrity to form a legally constituted Commission of Enquiry headed by a former High Court judge which could compel witnesses to testify. I have no doubt some other states would be doing the same if they had approached their enquiries with the same rigour.

The other states without exception ran superficial white-wash inquiries which would suggest that its only a matter of time before this industry blows up in the other states as well. Anyone who thinks these practices are isolated to NSW is not grounded in reality. There is already adhoc evidence that entry to some tracks in SA is by 'live possum'. And I'm sure they are not for childrens' petting farms.

Edited by westiemum

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Have you ever met a Greyhound?? They LOVE to race! There is nothing cruel about training and racing Greyhounds. The issue is about training methods and reducing over supply. Should we ban pet dogs as well? I mean, they have no choice to be a pet. What about agility dogs? Show dogs?

Yes I have met many greyhounds and used to attend greyhound races with my father as a child at the track in Darwin. They love to run. Racing = gambling= abuse = corruption. The issue is the racing, gambling, prize money, use of animals for human entertainment: a potent mix which makes for cruel and unethical standards, training methods and over-breeding.

Yes it is good to see Gruf back. smile.gif

Edited by westiemum

Well done Mike Baird. Suggest people jump on line, thank him and urge him to stand firm. The industry pressure to reverse the decision will be significant.

The man is a right wing dictator who has his eyes set on Canberra and most likely leadership, in time, of the Federal Liberal Party.

There are 65 greyhound tracks in the country, 33 in NSW. In our regional towns and cities, and particularly in Sydney, the greyhound tracks sit on valuable land that developers have been trying to get their hands on for decades. This is nothing more than a land grab and what makes it more obvious is that other states are not following suit. The exception is the ACT which has followed NSW. Coincidence that they have been trying to move the greyhound club off the land at Symonston for sometime and that they have also expressed a desire to resume the land at Thoroughbred Park?

No trifecta its obvious I'm not from NSW and its unlike you to be so rude. This is a national forum and where you are from should not dictate your opinion.

The use of the land will be dictated by the owners as it should be - some is owned by the Crown (e.g. Wentworth Park), others are in private hands such as the track at Richmond. And thats as it should be. If Crown land is required for housing (public or private) or is retained for public space I have no problem with it. In fact it could be argued that the Greyhound industry has tied up enough public land for long enough - decades - that its now time for it to be returned to general public benefit and use.

The other states are not following suit for now. The minister here today has said 'zero tolerance', report cruelty and and if he has any evidence of cruelty and abhorrent practices he will follow suit. The major difference between NSW and the other states is that NSW was the only one to have the guts and integrity to form a legally constituted Commission of Enquiry headed by a former High Court judge which could compel witnesses to testify.

The other states without exception ran superficial white-wash inquiries which would suggest that its only a matter of time before this industry blows up in the other states as well. Anyone who thinks these practices are isolated to NSW is not grounded in reality. There is already adhoc evidence that entry to some tracks in SA is by 'live possum'. And I'm sure they are not for childrens' petting farms.

I find this very hard to believe, the last place they would live bait is on an official racetrack. The footage on the Four Corners report was at a private track.

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

I wonder if it would be possible to keep it as a dog sport, IE no money in it but for the sheer athleticism and enjoyment of the dogs. Probably not now but the idea is nice!

The other states are not following suit for now. The minister here today has said 'zero tolerance', report cruelty and and if he has any evidence of cruelty and abhorrent practices he will follow suit. The major difference between NSW and the other states is that NSW was the only one to have the guts and integrity to form a legally constituted Commission of Enquiry headed by a former High Court judge which could compel witnesses to testify.

I find this very hard to believe, the last place they would live bait is on an official racetrack. The footage on the Four Corners report was at a private track.

Thanks mj but I didn't say it was an official track - and agree it was most likely at private tracks of which there are a number in SA.

:( lots of dead dogs .......

Agreed Perse crying.gif But it may also mean less future suffering by generations of greyhounds...

There won't BE any future generations of greyhounds.

There's an astonishing amount of 'Oh, people will kill their dogs but at least future greyhounds won't suffer' and 'Oh, they'll kill them anyway' going on. For people who apparently love dogs, this dismissal of thousands of dogs is disturbing let alone greyhounds becoming as rare as hen's teeth.

Maddy:

It's easy to brush these issues off when it's not the breed you love. Someone actually said to me yesterday that I could always just have whippets because they're pretty much the same thing as a greyhound (which is hilariously wrong), and then that they'd be okay with seeing the complete extinction of the racing greyhound in Australia if it meant racing would be gone. Obviously this person doesn't own and love greyhounds. Personally, I can't imagine life without a couple of ex racers but it looks like their days in Australia could be numbered.

Yep. Indicative of the level of knowledge that's driving much of the current discussion.

God forbid what is going to happen the dogs placed with inexperienced rescues who think they are just big spindly generic dogs. The idea that Greyhounds are sleepy couch potatoes that require no effort from an owner does the dogs a considerable disservice - especially the young ones.

I know owners who will PTS their dogs rather than have them in the wrong homes. Chained to a kennel and used for pigging or left uncoated and ignored in back yards? I'd PTS too.

I predict a rise in the abuse of greyhounds. It will move from the racing to the pet environment. A tragedy for the breed.

But people on this forum push the adoption of greyhounds on the grounds they are the dog for the lazy person, that they're couch potatoes that only need a 20 minute walk each day.