Greyhound Racing To Be Shut Down

Flashsmum

Maddy:

It's easy to brush these issues off when it's not the breed you love. Someone actually said to me yesterday that I could always just have whippets because they're pretty much the same thing as a greyhound (which is hilariously wrong), and then that they'd be okay with seeing the complete extinction of the racing greyhound in Australia if it meant racing would be gone. Obviously this person doesn't own and love greyhounds. Personally, I can't imagine life without a couple of ex racers but it looks like their days in Australia could be numbered.

Yep. Indicative of the level of knowledge that's driving much of the current discussion.

God forbid what is going to happen the dogs placed with inexperienced rescues who think they are just big spindly generic dogs. The idea that Greyhounds are sleepy couch potatoes that require no effort from an owner does the dogs a considerable disservice - especially the young ones.

I know owners who will PTS their dogs rather than have them in the wrong homes. Chained to a kennel and used for pigging or left uncoated and ignored in back yards? I'd PTS too.

I predict a rise in the abuse of greyhounds. It will move from the racing to the pet environment. A tragedy for the breed.

But people on this forum push the adoption of greyhounds on the grounds they are the dog for the lazy person, that they're couch potatoes that only need a 20 minute walk each day.

Not just people on this forum but also the RSPCA likes to suggest the same.

From the NSW RSPCA website

Do Greyhounds make good pets?

Greyhounds make incredible pets. They are friendly and gentle, intelligent and quiet, and have so much love to give. Contrary to what many people think, they are real couch potatoes, and make for great inside dogs, as they love to curl up, sit back and take in everything going on around them. Despite their fit appearance, Greyhounds are not excessively active dogs. As with most dogs, they need a walk or two each day.

Greyhounds also don’t bark much, making them a great option for suburban living.

Find out more about why Greyhounds make great pets by clicking here.

If you’re already convinced, you can look at the Greyhounds RSPCA NSW has available for adoption by clicking here.

--Lhok

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if the industry was squeaky clean and perfect, at the end of the day it is still engaging animals with no choice in an activity purely for the monetary gain and entertainment of humans, and for me personally, it doesn't matter how well packaged that is, its fundamentally wrong in this day and age FULL STOP. I hope it is the start of a domino effect to see this industry halted. Yes people will be upset, lose money, lose a lot of other stuff but the sun will still rise and set on a world without exploiting animals for greed and entertainment and that makes me happy.

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Should be on a Billboard, Gruf.

ETA: :offtopic: Glad to see Gruf taking centre stage again :laugh: :laugh:

Have you ever met a Greyhound?? They LOVE to race! There is nothing cruel about training and racing Greyhounds. The issue is about training methods and reducing over supply. Should we ban pet dogs as well? I mean, they have no choice to be a pet. What about agility dogs? Show dogs?

I wonder if it would be possible to keep it as a dog sport, IE no money in it but for the sheer athleticism and enjoyment of the dogs. Probably not now but the idea is nice!

Maybe those interested in the sport could engage with lure coursing groups to develop some greyhound divisions, alter the courses to suit, seperate classes etc. Those who wish to keep a "working line" of greys can have their performance testing and it doesn't have the gambling industry supporting it so the only reward is a ribbon (or whatever it is that you win in lure coursing). Plenty of other breeds manage to survive and thrive in dog sports that don't have a culture of bloodletting and unsustainable overproduction and waste.

Be proactive about welfare, zero tolerance of cruelty, that is the only way forward. AR are not the ones with power to shut down industries, it's the community, AR just exposes the cruelty to the rest of the community. Stamp out the cruelty. Stamp out the waste. It can only be done from within. Don't wait for the government or anyone else to save your hobby, your sport.

Even if the industry was squeaky clean and perfect, at the end of the day it is still engaging animals with no choice in an activity purely for the monetary gain and entertainment of humans, and for me personally, it doesn't matter how well packaged that is, its fundamentally wrong in this day and age FULL STOP. I hope it is the start of a domino effect to see this industry halted. Yes people will be upset, lose money, lose a lot of other stuff but the sun will still rise and set on a world without exploiting animals for greed and entertainment and that makes me happy.

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Should be on a Billboard, Gruf.

ETA: :offtopic: Glad to see Gruf taking centre stage again :laugh: :laugh:

Have you ever met a Greyhound?? They LOVE to race! There is nothing cruel about training and racing Greyhounds. The issue is about training methods and reducing over supply. Should we ban pet dogs as well? I mean, they have no choice to be a pet. What about agility dogs? Show dogs?

Yes I have met many greyhounds and used to attend greyhound races with my father as a child at the track in Darwin. They love to run. Racing = gambling= abuse = corruption. The issue is the racing, gambling, prize money, use of animals for human entertainment: a potent mix which makes for cruel and unethical standards, training methods and over-breeding.

Yes it is good to see Gruf back. smile.gif

Greyhounds are not allowed off leash in public places (in Victoria) so where will they run? How many people will be willing to pay for and adopt a Greyhound puppy?

There's an astonishing amount of 'Oh, people will kill their dogs but at least future greyhounds won't suffer' and 'Oh, they'll kill them anyway' going on. For people who apparently love dogs, this dismissal of thousands of dogs is disturbing let alone greyhounds becoming as rare as hen's teeth.

Do you have a solution? There are too many dogs. There were too many dogs before the ban was announced. That's a big part of the reason why the ban was announced, ostensibly. Most of them would have been killed, as has occurred every year. Now there are even more dogs' lives at stake as racers, breeders, and youngsters are also out of a job. Unless the government is committed to housing these dogs for perhaps years until every last one the owners can't or don't want to keep can be behaviourally assessed, rehabilitated if necessary/possible, and rehomed if they will make suitable pets, then healthy, sound animals will be euthanised. Is that a reason to perpetuate this cycle indefinitely? The numbers don't add up if we are considering the good of the dogs as a population. A gradual reduction in dog numbers over the next few years while the racing industry wound down and rescue caught up would probably have been a better way to go about it if it has to be done, and might preserve the most number of dogs overall. However, we don't get to dictate to the government how they should do this. It was obviously a political decision, and it is in Baird's best interests to make a splash. A gradual closure is not a splash. I live in hope that welfare organisations and GRNSW can negotiate a slower transition, but not holding my breath.

Maddy:

It's easy to brush these issues off when it's not the breed you love. Someone actually said to me yesterday that I could always just have whippets because they're pretty much the same thing as a greyhound (which is hilariously wrong), and then that they'd be okay with seeing the complete extinction of the racing greyhound in Australia if it meant racing would be gone. Obviously this person doesn't own and love greyhounds. Personally, I can't imagine life without a couple of ex racers but it looks like their days in Australia could be numbered.

Yep. Indicative of the level of knowledge that's driving much of the current discussion.

God forbid what is going to happen the dogs placed with inexperienced rescues who think they are just big spindly generic dogs. The idea that Greyhounds are sleepy couch potatoes that require no effort from an owner does the dogs a considerable disservice - especially the young ones.

I know owners who will PTS their dogs rather than have them in the wrong homes. Chained to a kennel and used for pigging or left uncoated and ignored in back yards? I'd PTS too.

I predict a rise in the abuse of greyhounds. It will move from the racing to the pet environment. A tragedy for the breed.

But people on this forum push the adoption of greyhounds on the grounds they are the dog for the lazy person, that they're couch potatoes that only need a 20 minute walk each day.

And this is certainly true for most older, retired Greyhounds. It is NOT true for any Greyhound under 2 years of age.

:( lots of dead dogs .......

Agreed Perse crying.gif But it may also mean less future suffering by generations of greyhounds...

There won't BE any future generations of greyhounds.

There's an astonishing amount of 'Oh, people will kill their dogs but at least future greyhounds won't suffer' and 'Oh, they'll kill them anyway' going on. For people who apparently love dogs, this dismissal of thousands of dogs is disturbing let alone greyhounds becoming as rare as hen's teeth.

No one is dismissing it, but lets not pretend it's any more deaths than are already seen year in and year out because thousands of dogs are bred with few getting to the track, and far fewer finding suitable homes after racing.

As for the breed becoming "rare as hens teeth" that is no ones fault but the breeders and breed fanciers. If all the breed has going for it is its racing ability how on earth do they manage to be decent pets? Better tell the husky breeders they should be taking their dogs to the alpine races every year to justify their existence.

Maddy:

Of course they do. Despite the fact that most of them have never met a fit young greyhound in their lives.

They are Sighthounds. They live to run. They are large dogs capable of almost unbelievable bursts of speed and they need exercise and stimulation like any other dog. They have fine coats and little body fat. They need rugging and shelter. And if they are coming off the track, they have never EVER been alone in their lives.

They way some people talk about them you'd think they were pot plants. They have needs like any other dog.

Agreed Perse crying.gif But it may also mean less future suffering by generations of greyhounds...

No one is dismissing it, but lets not pretend it's any more deaths than are already seen year in and year out because thousands of dogs are bred with few getting to the track, and far fewer finding suitable homes after racing.

As for the breed becoming "rare as hens teeth" that is no ones fault but the breeders and breed fanciers. If all the breed has going for it is its racing ability how on earth do they manage to be decent pets? Better tell the husky breeders they should be taking their dogs to the alpine races every year to justify their existence.

Their popularity is due to their laid back nature. A greyhound puppy is just as much work (if not more) than any other large puppy.

Maybe those interested in the sport could engage with lure coursing groups to develop some greyhound divisions, alter the courses to suit, seperate classes etc. Those who wish to keep a "working line" of greys can have their performance testing and it doesn't have the gambling industry supporting it so the only reward is a ribbon (or whatever it is that you win in lure coursing). Plenty of other breeds manage to survive and thrive in dog sports that don't have a culture of bloodletting and unsustainable overproduction and waste.

Be proactive about welfare, zero tolerance of cruelty, that is the only way forward. AR are not the ones with power to shut down industries, it's the community, AR just exposes the cruelty to the rest of the community. Stamp out the cruelty. Stamp out the waste. It can only be done from within. Don't wait for the government or anyone else to save your hobby, your sport.

Lure coursing and oval track racing are not the same. Altering courses to suit? Hardly compatible with the sport. They don't need separate classes. They compete as registered sighthounds or in the other breed and associate class.

Greyhounds can already compete in the sport. But it requires the ability to turn hard at speed - something racing greys haven't been bred for for decades and no current racing grey has experience in. It will require a change of conformation - and that won't happen overnight. Given the number of dogs likely to end up coursing, I doubt it will happen at all.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Do you have a solution? There are too many dogs. There were too many dogs before the ban was announced. That's a big part of the reason why the ban was announced, ostensibly. Most of them would have been killed, as has occurred every year. Now there are even more dogs' lives at stake as racers, breeders, and youngsters are also out of a job. Unless the government is committed to housing these dogs for perhaps years until every last one the owners can't or don't want to keep can be behaviourally assessed, rehabilitated if necessary/possible, and rehomed if they will make suitable pets, then healthy, sound animals will be euthanised. Is that a reason to perpetuate this cycle indefinitely? The numbers don't add up if we are considering the good of the dogs as a population. A gradual reduction in dog numbers over the next few years while the racing industry wound down and rescue caught up would probably have been a better way to go about it if it has to be done, and might preserve the most number of dogs overall. However, we don't get to dictate to the government how they should do this. It was obviously a political decision, and it is in Baird's best interests to make a splash. A gradual closure is not a splash. I live in hope that welfare organisations and GRNSW can negotiate a slower transition, but not holding my breath.

Corvus. If we keep agreeing, where will this end??

Nice to see some thinking in the sea of ignorance and emotion surrounding this issue

A solution to people's posts like these is my advice not to be so hypocritical. Since it is actually gradual (next year) my suggestion would be that greyhound people leave the state ahead of the final closedown. A solution to politics, no.

The bolded is precisely the dismissal of dog deaths I was referring to. Interesting that you also dismiss the gradual death of a breed. So much for being a dog lover. Why is it okay to save whales and dolphins but breed extinction is just given a shrug?

Evidently it's just more acceptable to continue to breed large amounts of dogs and kill large amounts of dogs because heaven forbid the dog world drag itself into the 21st century and get in line with community expectations. Yes there was an opportunity to improve things, but that time has passed, expecting to be able to change things at a leisurely pace so that no ones feelings get hurt is unrealistic. The clock is ticking for every other animal pursuit. Dick around and make excuses as much as you like, doesn't change the reality.

The bolded is precisely the dismissal of dog deaths I was referring to. Interesting that you also dismiss the gradual death of a breed. So much for being a dog lover. Why is it okay to save whales and dolphins but breed extinction is just given a shrug?

Why do you think the breed will become extinct? Does it have nothing else going for it but it's ability to go round in circles very fast. Again I will put forward the example of huskies but you can use any breed you like, they used to pull sleds, now most of them don't, they aren't extinct so it seems a little odd that you are lamenting an eventuality that there is no real evidence to suggest will occur.

You didnt seem to express much anguish about the deaths of greyhounds while the industry was churning along? Just because I believe that continually breeding thousands of dogs to sustain an industry that wouldn't sort it's crap out doesn't mean I am not sad for the fate of the animals who will be dumped. It's called choosing the lesser of two evils. Doesn't mean anyone enjoys it or dismisses it, it is a realty to state that many dogs suffered and died as a direct result of the overbreeding and practices the industry supported, it is not hypocrisy to put the reality in perspective when it comes to weighing up the current situation.

Evidently it's just more acceptable to continue to breed large amounts of dogs and kill large amounts of dogs because heaven forbid the dog world drag itself into the 21st century and get in line with community expectations. Yes there was an opportunity to improve things, but that time has passed, expecting to be able to change things at a leisurely pace so that no ones feelings get hurt is unrealistic. The clock is ticking for every other animal pursuit. Dick around and make excuses as much as you like, doesn't change the reality.

Between FORTY-EIGHT-THOUSAND+SIXTY-EIGHT THOUSAND in the last 12 years

The numbers are shameful.

I can't get them out of my head.

And Wentworth Park has been going since 1932?

And Greyhound Racing has been less popular over the last 12 years than the period between say, 1932-2004?

Wow, what are the total numbers then?

Oh wait, I'll just go and check GRNSW records for that. Or NOT, because they don't exist.

So faced with 2 bad choices, I'll take the ban.

And I'll wait for the mayhem and carnage to be unleashed on our suburbs by Greys on muzzles or green collared Greys that have passed their temp tests.

If APBT did not go extinct after the banning of dog fighting (and are in fact still a very popular pet and working dog), then the Greyhound is not going to go extinct at the banning of racing.

Mentioning dog fighting is another thing that worries me, who is to say this isn't just going to continue underground as well and remain totally unable to police?

Dog fighting may be banned, but it isn't gone....

There is no motivation for criminal gangs to find the large space to run greyhound race meets without the gambling industry to support it. Can't run it any old place they need a nice clean grass track or they will break their legs. Some people might feel the need to race their dogs every now and again but it is unlikely to become a huge underground movement, just not feasible.