Greyhound Racing To Be Shut Down

Flashsmum

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am the President of the NSW Lure Coursing Association and wrote the post Lhok shared. "Unintended consequences" aren't very comfortable on the receiving end. We are in shock but gearing up to fight this if we have to.

May be a strange question...do you think that those highly competative in your sport could potentially be doing exactly the same as they do in Greyhound racing to improve performance?

About as likely as flyballers doing the same to improve their dogs desire to get the ball .....

In other words, just not going to happen.

One of the first "it " items our litter of puppies get is a plastic bag ,why because it crackles,its light;its fun .

We will fill a sock with plastic bags again because its fun ,plastic bags are used in the show ring because the sound is interesting for ear set in the ring .

But no live baiting here unless you call the shopping items in those bags live bait & yes they love there fish fingers that come out of those bags

thats what puzzles me about those who think a greyhound isn't the same too ? The ones I knew loved running, ok only have three friends who raced theirs they had cats and one her daughter had a guinea pig and a rabbit and the dog didn't given them a look, but throw their play toy and off flat chat after it. my dads cattledogs will chase a ball, all day everyday. One preferred sticks, the bigger the better. One day he dragged home a peach tree a neighbor chopped down and expected us to throw it for him.

My mum had a poodle that couldn't wait for the ball to come out , the quickest way the get her overexcited was to ask her "wheres your ball" she would ransack the place till she found it if you were silly enough to hide it.

there's more to loving to chase things than just instinct and the sight of a moving object or she or the cattle dogs wouldn't be looking for, finding and bringing their toys for you to throw surely?

Edited by asal

Live feed Parliament debate now - being fast tracked Link

So what happened? As I missed it.

--Lhok

Its still on go and follow the link they are still debating it now.

Its gone through - they are arguing some amendments now but looks like its a done deal

Edited by Steve

I am the President of the NSW Lure Coursing Association and wrote the post Lhok shared. "Unintended consequences" aren't very comfortable on the receiving end. We are in shock but gearing up to fight this if we have to.

May be a strange question...do you think that those highly competative in your sport could potentially be doing exactly the same as they do in Greyhound racing to improve performance?

About as likely as flyballers doing the same to improve their dogs desire to get the ball .....

Flyballers get a ball, lure coursing dogs chase a lure - it's quite different isn't it? Live baiting would work for lure coursing and not for fly ball?

Live baiting wouldn't work for lure coursing either. No lure courser has ever suggested it would that I have seen, and I know quite a few. Don't know why people persist in alleging it would.

Live baiting wouldn't work for lure coursing either. No lure courser has ever suggested it would that I have seen, and I know quite a few. Don't know why people persist in alleging it would.

The legislation didn't take into account lure coursing but greyhounds that lure course seem to be caught in it. Doesn't mean there won't be subsequent legislation that covers it.

Flyballers get a ball, lure coursing dogs chase a lure - it's quite different isn't it? Live baiting would work for lure coursing and not for fly ball?

Lure coursing and the potential for live baiting in it has been covered by the very people who do it and they have extended an invitation to those who would like to know more about it to go out there and actually see it in action.

They have explained why it can't happen and they know the people who are active in the community for it.

If you don't like what they have had to say about it take them on their word, go out there and have a look at the activity.

--Lhok

Ignorance.

Ignorance about sighthounds and ignorance about lure coursing.

The dogs KNOW its a plastic bag. Why on earth would you even consider using anything else???

Ignorance.

Ignorance about sighthounds and ignorance about lure coursing.

The dogs KNOW its a plastic bag. Why on earth would you even consider using anything else???

And besides that, why would anyone bother to cheat at lure coursing? There's certainly no financial incentive and if you're doing lure coursing to test your own dog's coursing ability, cheating entirely defeats the purpose.

And besides that, why would anyone bother to cheat at lure coursing? There's certainly no financial incentive and if you're doing lure coursing to test your own dog's coursing ability, cheating entirely defeats the purpose.

It sure does.

I'm actually just asking a question I thought was an interesting one. Just because no lure courser has ever mentioned it doesn't mean anything really...

Lure coursing and the potential for live baiting in it has been covered by the very people who do it and they have extended an invitation to those who would like to know more about it to go out there and actually see it in action.

They have explained why it can't happen and they know the people who are active in the community for it.

If you don't like what they have had to say about it take them on their word, go out there and have a look at the activity.

--Lhok

I was just asking a question actually, not making a statement or accusing anyone of anything.

I've lure coursed before and I can see the potential of live baiting in it, so I wanted to ask. It's certainly not an impossible scenario, no different to Greyhounds, I''m sure that started off pretty quietly too and no one told anyone what they were doing to gain a competitive edge. When there is a potential for something and then someone says it's impossible that takes away their credibility.

Edited by sas

The greyhounds know they are chasing a lure and not a live animal as well. They are highly conditioned, though. If they have learnt to bite the lure for good times after a run, that's what they try to do, even when they can't, and regardless of what the lure consists of. You can even tell where they usually get access to the lure, which seems to matter more than where the lure actually is. There are videos online of dogs racing without a lure. They run for about as long as they reckon they should, then start looking for the lure to make contact with. If people believe that associating the lure with an animal will make the lure more motivating (and clearly some did join those dots), then there's no reason why it could not work for lure coursing, or why no one would ever make that connection again. And that association does not have to be tight. We have seen that with the greyhounds. They are not chasing lures with squealing piglets attached to them only. The training only loosely resembles a race.

However, it is completely a separate issue to whether they would actually do it in a million years. There is no strong enough incentive for it and the culture is undoubtedly very different. Those things matter. So, it seems beside the point to me whether the dogs know what they are chasing or how interested in live animals they are, or whether they are safe with them, or whatever other issues people keep bringing up. The issue is much simpler. It's not about dogs at all. It's about people. Could someone involved in lure coursing feel that live baiting would give them a competitive edge and go ahead and give it a try? Yes. In a bizarre parallel universe where lure coursing people think in those terms and have those priorities. The reasoning is therefore flawed, because it assumes that "possible"="might happen". Lots of horrific things are possible that very rarely if ever happen.

I don't see that there would be any incentive or advantage to live baiting with lure coursing. It is just a bit of fun for the dogs. There is no financial gain. I doubt the prizes/prize money for placing (if they even have prizes for lure coursing :confused: ) are all that great.

--Lhok

I was just asking a question actually, not making a statement or accusing anyone of anything.

I've lure coursed before and I can see the potential of live baiting in it, so I wanted to ask. It's certainly not an impossible scenario, no different to Greyhounds, I''m sure that started off pretty quietly too and no one told anyone what they were doing to gain a competitive edge. When there is a potential for something and then someone says it's impossible that takes away their credibility.

You know you're doing exactly the same as the report writers except yours comes across, with your 'I'm just asking', as artless and suggestive.