Greyhound Racing To Be Shut Down

Flashsmum

I've lure coursed before and I can see the potential of live baiting in it, so I wanted to ask. It's certainly not an impossible scenario, no different to Greyhounds, I''m sure that started off pretty quietly too and no one told anyone what they were doing to gain a competitive edge. When there is a potential for something and then someone says it's impossible that takes away their credibility.

How would anything other than a bag fit under a tie down or not flip a pulley?

How would using animals encourage a dog to chase what it knows to be a plastic bag? The dog is looking at the plastic bag when it starts. The bag is right in front of it.

Sorry but I fail to see the potential also.

What's more important is that I fail to see the incentive. It's not a race and there is no betting.

My most prey driven dog will not chase plastic. They either do or they don't. End of story.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've lure coursed before and I can see the potential of live baiting in it, so I wanted to ask. It's certainly not an impossible scenario, no different to Greyhounds, I''m sure that started off pretty quietly too and no one told anyone what they were doing to gain a competitive edge. When there is a potential for something and then someone says it's impossible that takes away their credibility.

How would anything other than a bag fit under a tie down or not flip a pulley?

How would using animals encourage a dog to chase what it knows to be a plastic bag? The dog is looking at the plastic bag when it starts. The bag is right in front of it.

Sorry but I fail to see the potential also.

What's more important is that I fail to see the incentive. It's not a race and there is no betting.

My most prey driven dog will not chase plastic. They either do or they don't. End of story.

This.

I had a foster dog who was crazy keen on toys- throw a soft toy for her and she'd chase it and do the death shake until the toy bled delicious stuffing. Same dog tested really nicely with cats and went off to live with one. On the other hand, I've had really drivey dogs who had no interest in soft toys. Drive was through the roof but they had zero interest in chasing something that obviously wasn't alive. That interest in chasing a lure was so lacking that drive or not, they ended up with me. Non-chaser on the lure definitely doesn't mean lack of prey drive and if the dog isn't interested in chasing some fake fur, no amount of possums is going to change that.

Non-chaser on the lure definitely doesn't mean lack of prey drive and if the dog isn't interested in chasing some fake fur, no amount of possums is going to change that.

Yep. That.

My Greyhound has been lure coursing once but she was just chasing the other dogs (straight lure). She has also been to a slipping track a few times and will race my sister's dog even though there is no lure. She has never raced and lives with multiple small fluffy animals.

Live baiting wouldn't work for lure coursing either. No lure courser has ever suggested it would that I have seen, and I know quite a few. Don't know why people persist in alleging it would.

I'm actually just asking a question I thought was an interesting one. Just because no lure courser has ever mentioned it doesn't mean anything really...

it must be nice to be able to idly speculate on this without having any worries about potentially losing something you have put years of effort into with ever harming an animal. These sorts of comments are dangerous right now.

The baiting stuff is worse than a lie, if it had not been for the baiting scandal the vast majority of LC participants would have had no idea what baiting even was in the first place. It has been put out there by people who have no experience with LC to create a wedge that will eventually come after other dog sports, and just about any other dog that isn't a generic couch dog. Great Dane owners would want to be careful about that, because I can see size winding up as one of the idiotic criteria we end up having used against us (big dogs being unhealthy, and all that).

Live baiting wouldn't work for lure coursing either. No lure courser has ever suggested it would that I have seen, and I know quite a few. Don't know why people persist in alleging it would.

I'm actually just asking a question I thought was an interesting one. Just because no lure courser has ever mentioned it doesn't mean anything really...

it must be nice to be able to idly speculate on this without having any worries about potentially losing something you have put years of effort into with ever harming an animal. These sorts of comments are dangerous right now.

The baiting stuff is worse than a lie, if it had not been for the baiting scandal the vast majority of LC participants would have had no idea what baiting even was in the first place. It has been put out there by people who have no experience with LC to create a wedge that will eventually come after other dog sports, and just about any other dog that isn't a generic couch dog. Great Dane owners would want to be careful about that, because I can see size winding up as one of the idiotic criteria we end up having used against us (big dogs being unhealthy, and all that).

LC only found itself in the Greyhound enquiry report because some bright spark decided to indulge in that sort of speculation.

Even a cursory attempt at research would have revealed that he sport of lure coursing was CREATED to obviate the need for live game. What part of that is difficult to for people to grasp??

We don't use fur or fake fur. We use plastic bags. Dogs chase bags for the same reason they chase tennis balls.

People may find it difficult to believe that a dog will go screaming berserk to chase a plastic bag. That's where getting out from behind the computer screen and attending an event is illustrative.

I'm told that the science was that live baiting wasn't particularly effective in getting greyhounds to chase a mechanical lure. It was the sort of "dog training" that stemmed from the same timeframe that brought you rubbing dogs noses in their faeces to "toilet train" them.

Dog training has moved on. I feel for the greyhound trainers who have been dragged down by the troglodytes in the industry.

What's next? No check chains? No crates? Watch this space people because it now appears that idle speculation and even the potential for abuse will see babies tossed out with bathwater as the AR brigade move onto their next target. They have already proven that a good misinformation campaign and rubbery statistics will get them over the line.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

LC only found itself in the Greyhound enquiry report because some bright spark decided to indulge in that sort of speculation.

Even a cursory attempt at research would have revealed that he sport of lure coursing was CREATED to obviate the need for live game. What part of that is difficult to for people to grasp??

We don't use fur or fake fur. We use plastic bags. Dogs chase bags for the same reason they chase tennis balls.

People may find it difficult to believe that a dog will go screaming berserk to chase a plastic bag. That's where getting out from behind the computer screen and attending an event is illustrative.

I'm told that the science was that live baiting wasn't particularly effective in getting greyhounds to chase a mechanical lure. It was the sort of "dog training" that stemmed from the same timeframe that brought you rubbing dogs noses in their faeces to "toilet train" them.

Dog training has moved on. I feel for the greyhound trainers who have been dragged down by the troglodytes in the industry.

What's next? No check chains? No crates? Watch this space people because it now appears that idle speculation and even the potential for abuse will see babies tossed out with bathwater as the AR brigade move onto their next target. They have already proven that a good misinformation campaign and rubbery statistics will get them over the line.

They have good reason to be confidant, its been pretty successful so far.

was reading a website explaining how to spot a puppy farm.

one of the criteria was the breeder had more than one litter to rise or another due soon.

Even women living in the same house tend to synchronise, a doctor told me, same applies to dogs, horses u name it. Old time, obviously utterly stupid breeders (I gather) liked some of their bitches to have them at the same time or near, a big litter could be split to a bitch with only a small litter and less stress all round. both on the bitches and the breeder. if three litters near similar ages if one mum came down with milk fever she could be rested and her puppies fed by another, I know I raised a litter for a friend as hers had milk fever and mine only had 2 puppies, we helped each other at such times, but now a puppy cannot leave its breeder before its 8 weeks, so fostering someone else's puppy or puppies can get you facing the ethics committee these days, (it happened a few years ago, two friends were at a show and the one raising a fostered pup said to the other friend, can I buy that puppy? dont worry about getting it vaccinated, it can go to the vet with my puppies" some sharp ear's soul twigged the puppy referred to was obviously under 8 weeks and reported the sale of an under 8 week puppy and the fat hit the fan, it had been fostered at 3 days old) but common sense has little credibility anymore.

Edited by asal