Should I Desex My Cocker Spaniel

Dee484

Hi,

I have a beautiful 7 month old male cocker spaniel.

It appears that it is expected nowadays to have your dog desexed.

I grew up with cocker spaniels and desexing was never mentioned, nowadays I feel judged at the thought of not desexing!

I've read some online advice offering pros and cons but I'm still unsure. Any advice? Is it cruel not to desex if I have no plans to breed?

Many thanks,

Dee

Absolutely not cruel to desex if you don't feel you can manage an entire dog or not to desex if you do not feel comfortable doing so.

BUT there is science to say at very least delaying until adulthood is important if you do decide to go down that route.

There are many wiser people here than me with better advice but just wanted to chirp in and say someone will always judge you either way, you gotta do what's best for you guys. :)

Edited by Steph M

Agreed with the above it is absolutely not cruel to keep your dog entire. Yes some people may judge you, but tell them to mind their own business, why are they looking that closely through your dogs fur anyway?

It is your choice, if you can manage an intact dog appropriately go ahead.

No reason to desex him if you don't want to. Your dog, your rules within reason. You just need to be aware of the responsibilities that go with that decision. IMO it has become an expected thing that dogs will be desexed, usually with the reason that unwanted litters will be prevented.

Absolutely no need to Desex him if you are happy to manage an entire dog.

From a personal perspective having been a groomer for over 30 yrs.........I wish more spaniel owners were made aware of how the coat changes once desexed. The vast majority of spaniels end up like woolly bears full of junk speyneuter coat that makes grooming more difficult and in my personal opinion, ruins the look of the entire (as opposed to desexed) coat.

"In male dogs, castration reduces the likelihood of prostate disease, testicular cancer and aggression towards other dogs."

Source? Desexing also increases the risk of other types of cancer.

Not to mention there is research (some of which is currently in the research about dogs thread) that disputes that aggression statement.

There are positives and negatives for everything. This owner can make up her own mind and not have to worry about being judged for doing so.

Edited by LisaCC

Actually as far as aggression goes i wonder if its because in my experience entire dogs tend to get attacked by neutured ones .So whilst they may not be aggressive watch for this.

I think its a personal thing based on breed , coat plays a part for you, i cant be doing with all the hassle that goes with entire dogs so choose not to have any.

Actually as far as aggression goes i wonder if its because in my experience entire dogs tend to get attacked by neutured ones .So whilst they may not be aggressive watch for this.

I think its a personal thing based on breed , coat plays a part for you, i cant be doing with all the hassle that goes with entire dogs so choose not to have any.

I think entire dogs believe desexed dogs are like a third sex and not quite right...........comes from years of observation........I always maintained if desexing worked we could empty the jails LOL It is not a miracle cure for aggression, a lot of a dog's temperament is influenced in utero by hormones and what we do with them greatly influences the rest