Going To My First Dog Show! Advice?

KLB

I've had a few phone calls with a breeder that sounds reputable. I like what I have heard and read so far. I'm going out to my first show(?) this weekend to meet him and meet a few of his dogs. I'm not really sure what to expect. If everything works out, I'm keen to adopt from him.

Any advice? What should I expect, and what will be expected of me? Thanks!

That's great news! Remember, he won't be the only breeder there. Introduce yourself to others nad have a chat.

Good luck! I look forward to hearing what you think. You'll also probably see many other breeds - I fall in love with more and more breeds everything I go to a show.

I did this in March this year. Wow! Set aside some time, I really enjoyed myself.

I arranged to meet a breeder and organised a time between their shows, I got a phone number and asked what group they were so I could get directions if lost.

I wandered to the stewards area and asked where to go (I was only a few meters away lol). Walked along and looked for the breed of dog, introduced myself to who I thought was the right person (phew I was) and had a chat. I had specific questions I wanted to ask, they got their dogs out so my family and I could look at them. My son got to play with a young dog, which was great to show the energy levels.

Watched a bit of showing, they were kind enough to explain to me what I was seeing (I wasn't after a show quality pup but it's very cool to watch). Thanked them and left. We were at the dog show for about 45mins to an hour but I would of stayed just to watch if my son wasn't so impatient lol.

Its hard to say what to expect without knowing what both parties are expecting & what has already been discussed.

I gather your in Vic so the show will be indoors,it will be noisey,lacking in space & hard to hear & most likely not the easiest environment to do alot of playing etc etc .

Keep in mind they are there to show there dogs first & foremost so be mindful if there getting ready to show to maybe move away ,depending on what letter of the alphabet they are will depend on time between breed & specials.

If its the Junior kennel club show during lunchtime they will have a large break due to the junior handler finals so unless these people plan to watch or are loaning a swap dog that may be a good time so when you get there introduce yourself & ask if now is a good time .

Questions can be hard to talk at shows & i would leave that to a phone call where you can clearly hear & talk about things without taking up the breeders time.if your solely going to meet them & there dogs in a neutral space just leave it at that .

All good advice ... perhaps most important .. gauge stress levels, and stay in the background if/when it seems appropriate. And depending on the breed .. best not to touch dogs unless owner/groomer says it's OK .. and try not to touch the whites/the combed up bits .... etc. etc. according to breed :laugh:

Ask yourself why you want the breed you want, ask yourself what attracts you to this particular breeder. Ask yourself what are your expectations from him and expectation of a dog - if you choose to get one. I presume you have researched your breed - so write down the questions you need to know - ie health, activeness, life style management with your dog - ie grooming and supplies ongoing show costs. Ask about why he loves this breed and why he shows and if he has been in the game for a while - why he continues to show. If he can answer these questions without getting terse or reactive - then you should have a good showie who does this more for the passion for the breed than the ego of the win. Good luck

Ask yourself why you want the breed you want, ask yourself what attracts you to this particular breeder. Ask yourself what are your expectations from him and expectation of a dog - if you choose to get one. I presume you have researched your breed - so write down the questions you need to know - ie health, activeness, life style management with your dog - ie grooming and supplies ongoing show costs. Ask about why he loves this breed and why he shows and if he has been in the game for a while - why he continues to show. If he can answer these questions without getting terse or reactive - then you should have a good showie who does this more for the passion for the breed than the ego of the win. Good luck

Thanks all, this has all been so helpful so far! We've talked twice on the phone, with the first call getting a lot of those fitness, health, breed type questions out of the way. I think everything checks out on both ends so far. I'm kind of sensing that this more of an end step rather than a beginning one, if that makes sense. Still, I've never done something like this so it's good to have an idea of what to expect! I've been wavering back and forth on 2-3 breeds too, so I think this will help in that regard too.