Using Skype As A Doggy "baby Monitor"

I'm putting this here because I'm not entirely sure where it should sit - I can see it sitting equally between the Training (for anxiety) and health threads(aged care, whelping, etc).

Picked this little tip up off a facebook group I've joined for CCD support and it's so amazingly simple I can't believe I haven't thought of it or seen it before.

Basically you set up a second (or two) skype accounts - one for you/your phone and one for the laptop or device you leave at home. Angle the home device so you can see the dog with the webcam (easy with Scottie being crated) and set skype to "auto-answer" (I didn't know that could be done).

Then you can call the "dogs skype account" when you're out and about to check in on them. I did it tonight while I was at work - I called in when I had a quiet moment about 90 mins after leaving home - he was trashing his crate - but the ring tone must have interrupted him (I assume - he must have heard it) - or maybe his doggy sixth sense kicked in & he realised Mum was watching (mums see everything) Because he stopped being bad :thumbsup: . Then I called back 10 minutes later and he was settled.

So simple - I know people who've spent money on pet cubes, I paid for an app which was hopeless and kept kicking me off the connection and chewing up battery on my tablet and my phone. This was so easy to set up and free!

I think it would be a really easy way to check in and see how a new puppy was getting on, even see what trouble is happening in the yard when you are home, to check a bitch close to whelp or lots of other applications. I knew he was settled and not screaming the house down so I took my time coming home from work and dropped into the supermarket on the way.

Screen shot of the naughty one - yes it kind of looks like he's pooing. He's not - he's digging :)

27552854993_5d12fb64d1_n.jpgScreenshot_2016-07-08-17-31-58 by Superspanger, on Flickr

I do this :)

F'ing genius I tells ya!

Got the method from a friend who uses it to watch their bunnies who got it from another friend etc etc.

So far I've discovered Thistle:

1. Sleeps

2. Sleeps

3. Adjusts head position

4. Sleeps

5. Perimeter patrol of fence

6. Stands in sun for 10 minutes

7. Sleeps

8. Sleeps

9. Sometimes rolls over

10. Sleeps

Also good for teaching dog to be calm when I am arriving home. I don't open the door if she's hovering in front of it or jumping or any of that sort of behaviour.