Eastern European Shepherd

Jack_E

Hi there, I am very new to these forums and am just wondering what information people have on the eastern-European shepherd, or other similar breeds. I have spent a considerable amount of time researching what dog is best suited to our family, and together we decided that we believed that a shepherd dog is the right choice for us. I particularly like the look of the Eastern European shepherd as they are less prone to hip and elbow dysplasia than many other more common breeds are. If you have any info on where in Australia I could find a breeder of this dog, or any others like it I would greatly appreciate it. The main preferances my family and I have for a dog is that it needs to be intelligent, good with kids, a large breed and not particularly prone to health problems. Any info at all regarding any of this would be very helpful :)

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There's an old thread.

Doler imported one, I gather from that, they aren't readily available here or ANKC registered (so you wouldn't be able to go check them out at a show). Happy to be corrected!

Do you have other breeds on your wish list just in case? smile.gifsmile.gif

There's an old thread.

Doler imported one, I gather from that, they aren't readily available here or ANKC registered (so you wouldn't be able to go check them out at a show). Happy to be corrected!

Do you have other breeds on your wish list just in case? smile.gifsmile.gif

Thanks for the info. I have seen that thread, however I was wondering about any new information. At the moment my overall list is incredibly broad as I want to make sure I 100% choose the right dog breed. Ideally I would get an Eastern European shepherd or a Shiloh shepherd, although I'm open to any suggestions on dogs/breeders so long as the dogs are having an average life expectancy of over 12 years, they are not an extremely unhealthy dog breed and are intelligent. I am part way through making a very basic table within which I have many of the dog breeds I liked the sound of when I fist started looking, but for many of them I have not been able to find enough info/breeders to consider worth pursuing.

Blank.pdf

Hi,

That is a large list :)

Some of those breeds are not available in Australia at the moment. Other breeds listed can be a LOT of dog! The Malinois and Dutch Shepherds I have met have been a LOT of dog! Especially the working line dogs. Very full on.

I don't think Beauceron are available here, or Shiloh Shepherds, and from the other thread on them, I don't think there are many East European Shepherds.

Since you seem to like the Shepherd type breeds, I think a German Shepherd may fit well, they are also on your list. There are a lot of German Shepherd breeders, and a few different types within German Shepherds in terms of appearance and temperament, so you will have to do your research to find the type that you like and that is suitable for what you want. Or you could look at White Swiss Shepherds as well.

Hi,

That is a large list :)

Some of those breeds are not available in Australia at the moment. Other breeds listed can be a LOT of dog! The Malinois and Dutch Shepherds I have met have been a LOT of dog! Especially the working line dogs. Very full on.

I don't think Beauceron are available here, or Shiloh Shepherds, and from the other thread on them, I don't think there are many East European Shepherds.

Since you seem to like the Shepherd type breeds, I think a German Shepherd may fit well, they are also on your list. There are a lot of German Shepherd breeders, and a few different types within German Shepherds in terms of appearance and temperament, so you will have to do your research to find the type that you like and that is suitable for what you want. Or you could look at White Swiss Shepherds as well.

Thanks kavic, yeah it is a big list, but I love all dogs and i am having a very difficult time deciding so I thought I'd keep it broad in order to fully choose the right breed. The reason I went for the Shiloh and the Eastern European over the GSD, is predominantly health issues, as well as the shilohs temperament seems a little bit better suited to us. I am also having a hard time distinguishing between the legitimate breeders and the backyard breeders. With all the different sites I look at the quality, lifespan and health of GSDs seems to vary so much. I also very much so like the idea of a Rottweiler, with the only downside in my books being the lifespan and health issues. And by the way, on the table every dog with //////// in the breeder column means that I have not been able to locate a breeder in Australia.

Dogo Argentino is a banned breed. You've got a lot of variety there too, good luck in your search.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks you for the info, and I have taken that into account, any dog breed with a N/A in the breeders column means that it is a banned breed in Australia

What are you after in terms of temperament? Perhaps that could help narrow down your list? There are some very very different temperaments in that list.

Then you can go out and meet some of these breeds and their breeders in the flesh.

Health was a huge input into the breed I picked, and I didn't go for some breeds I admire because of health issues, but I personally would rather have a dog that suited my lifestyle that may have a few years less life span than a dog that wasn't suitable that had a long lifespan.

What are you after in terms of temperament? Perhaps that could help narrow down your list? There are some very very different temperaments in that list.

Then you can go out and meet some of these breeds and their breeders in the flesh.

Health was a huge input into the breed I picked, and I didn't go for some breeds I admire because of health issues, but I personally would rather have a dog that suited my lifestyle that may have a few years less life span than a dog that wasn't suitable that had a long lifespan.

Thank you for the info, and that is a very good point, however I can't bear the thought of shaving a couple of years of my potential canine friends life :( . Ideally I would like my dog to have a bit of an off switch, by this I mean that I would love him to be playful, protective, loving, affectionate, energetic or many other character traits provided he isn't always barking at every tiny noise at any hour in the night, or biting at my ankles to play 24/7. I currently have an Aussie bulldog, who has a great off switch, however he has had many health problems over his life, is incredibly dumb and is not very good at reading emotions. I don't mind him being like a hummingbird on crack, provided a long walk or some training will make him willing to lie down and sleep in front of the fire.

I don't think you can get Northern Inuits either but you can look at a Tamaskan.

I think a GSD would fit. Maybe have a look at the GSD thread. As long as they come from a ethical breeder with good lines there's no reason to expect issues. Although any breed can have unexpected issues. Sometimes life just happens.

Go to talk to some working line DDR or Czech lines German Shepherd breeders. Quite a few reputable ones in Australia. Chris from Von Forell is very knowledgeable. I have a DDR/Czech GSD and couldn't be happier with him in my family.

Edited by pepe001

Thank you for the info, and that is a very good point, however I can't bear the thought of shaving a couple of years of my potential canine friends life :( . Ideally I would like my dog to have a bit of an off switch, by this I mean that I would love him to be playful, protective, loving, affectionate, energetic or many other character traits provided he isn't always barking at every tiny noise at any hour in the night, or biting at my ankles to play 24/7. I currently have an Aussie bulldog, who has a great off switch, however he has had many health problems over his life, is incredibly dumb and is not very good at reading emotions. I don't mind him being like a hummingbird on crack, provided a long walk or some training will make him willing to lie down and sleep in front of the fire.

As an excel list/matrix maker I get what you're doing there :)

Some comments on it:

I have been told that Bernese mountain dogs are incredibly prone to cancer, if you want to pop that in your health col.

Have you considered other types of Belgian Shepherds? (More than happy to be corrected on this point - but I am sure I have read somewhere some types are more laid back than Mals)

But can I say some things which will probably sound negative?

I) How old is the bulldog? You'll need to factor him into your choices (obviously - and I assume you have).

II) Don't be shocked if someone wont sell you a pup - some of these dogs are a lot of dog - and people may not be willing to sell you a pup.

III) You could get a pup and have some horrible disaster happen at any stage ... It's grim but true. In my opinion - for me I don't think life expectancy is that big a driver - it certainly wouldn't be the thing I'd use to pick between a Mal, GSD or Rotty for example.

Good luck on the hunt. Love the table :)

I don't think you can get Northern Inuits either but you can look at a Tamaskan.

I think a GSD would fit. Maybe have a look at the GSD thread. As long as they come from a ethical breeder with good lines there's no reason to expect issues. Although any breed can have unexpected issues. Sometimes life just happens.

Yeah I've looked into that. The dog that I thought to be a northern Inuit seems to be closer to a mutt 'lykoswolfdogs', so I started looking towards tamaskans, and whilst there are 4 dogs in Australia they are all male and someone will need to in port a bitch. I have joined all the tamaskans groups on Facebook in case of any action taking place.

As an excel list/matrix maker I get what you're doing there :)

Some comments on it:

I have been told that Bernese mountain dogs are incredibly prone to cancer, if you want to pop that in your health col.

Have you considered other types of Belgian Shepherds? (More than happy to be corrected on this point - but I am sure I have read somewhere some types are more laid back than Mals)

But can I say some things which will probably sound negative?

I) How old is the bulldog? You'll need to factor him into your choices (obviously - and I assume you have).

II) Don't be shocked if someone wont sell you a pup - some of these dogs are a lot of dog - and people may not be willing to sell you a pup.

III) You could get a pup and have some horrible disaster happen at any stage ... It's grim but true. In my opinion - for me I don't think life expectancy is that big a driver - it certainly wouldn't be the thing I'd use to pick between a Mal, GSD or Rotty for example.

Good luck on the hunt. Love the table :)

Very good tips. I really appreciate it. I'll definitely put that on my list. Early on my search I looked at the other Belgian breeds however, I didn't pursue them very far. My bulldog is currently 6, and he is one of the main reasons I want an intelligent dog. Whilst I love him to pieces, I would like my dog to not only be a family member, but I am also thinking that I would like to get into some form of dog sport/training. Other than breeders being worried I haven't worried about my bulldog as he takes animals introduced to him under his wing and protected them until they can be more independent.

Very good tips. I really appreciate it. I'll definitely put that on my list. Early on my search I looked at the other Belgian breeds however, I didn't pursue them very far. My bulldog is currently 6, and he is one of the main reasons I want an intelligent dog. Whilst I love him to pieces, I would like my dog to not only be a family member, but I am also thinking that I would like to get into some form of dog sport/training. Other than breeders being worried I haven't worried about my bulldog as he takes animals introduced to him under his wing and protected them until they can be more independent.

Ah yeh - but if he's six now - lets say you take 6 -12 months (min) to find a pup that leaves a 7 year old - well a 7-9 year old medium sized dog to deal with a young, strong puppy. I'll say it again - please don't think I'm saying you've not considered this, or wont, just remember it *may* be a very uneven match. I'm not personally experienced with many of the breeds on the list but there are some better matches for your existing dog on that list than others.

You should also think about what kinds of dog sports you might be interested in. It might help you narrow the list down :) (and you can get along to events and see what kinds of dogs are participating in those sports)

I also didn't actually mean to say / sound like breeders might be worried if that you "haven't worried about (the) bulldog". Again, you've got a really broad range there and some breeds are easier to handle and even obtain, than others. I think I was trying to say just be prepared for people to potentially knock you back on certain breeds possibly - eg the Tamaskan - *I assume* would have a long waiting list if/when a bitch came into the country and pups would probably go to close friends/acquaintances / homes with experience with that type of dog first - but this is just my opinion - I could be talking complete rubbish :)

Edited by Scottsmum

Ah yeh - but if he's six now - lets say you take 6 -12 months (min) to find a pup that leaves a 7 year old - well a 7-9 year old medium sized dog to deal with a young, strong puppy. I'll say it again - please don't think I'm saying you've not considered this, or wont, just remember it *may* be a very uneven match. I'm not personally experienced with many of the breeds on the list but there are some better matches for your existing dog on that list than others.

You should also think about what kinds of dog sports you might be interested in. It might help you narrow the list down :) (and you can get along to events and see what kinds of dogs are participating in those sports)

I also didn't actually mean to say / sound like breeders might be worried if that you "haven't worried about (the) bulldog". Again, you've got a really broad range there and some breeds are easier to handle and even obtain, than others. I think I was trying to say just be prepared for people to potentially knock you back on certain breeds possibly - eg the Tamaskan - *I assume* would have a long waiting list if/when a bitch came into the country and pups would probably go to close friends/acquaintances / homes with experience with that type of dog first - but this is just my opinion - I could be talking complete rubbish :)

I really appreciate all the insights. Please don't hold anything back in order not to offend me. I understand what your saying with the age gap and I agree that it could be a bit of a problem. I believe I need to sink some more time into researching the specific dog sports, as like you said that may help me narrow it down. Ideally I would like something that is more to do with how the dog is trained rather than looks. Eg. Shutzhund, however I am still looking into this side of things. I understood that the male and Dutchies would be a lot of work, but I thought that may have led to more intelligence and drive to please, however all the opinions of people on this forum are guiding me more so away from them. If there is any breeds not in the list that seem to fit my situation better I am all ears

Hello Jack_E. Have you researched the Akita? The Japanese type are impressive.

I haven't looked at the Akita any more than its size and lifespan. I'll be sure to give it a look, thanks.

Have you considered a gun dog? Wei or Vizla might fit the bill, maybe more inclined to have an off button.

I rarely recommend my old breed , but a dally?

I thought a gun dog might be a good fit - but also wondered if there was a looks thing going on there?

Maybe a (working) labrador would be a good idea? I could see them fitting a few of the boxes.