Eastern European Shepherd

Jack_E

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have you considered a gun dog? Wei or Vizla might fit the bill, maybe more inclined to have an off button.

I rarely recommend my old breed , but a dally?

I haven't really considered gundogs, they don't appeal to me quite as much, however I'll give them a look in case any of them suit me particularly well. Thanks for the info

Have you considered a gun dog? Wei or Vizla might fit the bill, maybe more inclined to have an off button.

I rarely recommend my old breed , but a dally?

I thought a gun dog might be a good fit - but also wondered if there was a looks thing going on there?

Maybe a (working) labrador would be a good idea? I could see them fitting a few of the boxes.

I feel unethical in choosing a dog because of its looks, but i would be lying if I said I didn't prefer the looks of a lot of the guardian and working dogs. To be honest when I very first started looking about 6 months ago I was solely looking at dogs over 40kg, however I have been increasingly broadening my search as I realise that I'm better off choosing a dog that suits my position over its size. I just love big dogs though because there is more of them to love.

If you are interested in working line shepherd type dogs talk to Steve at K9 Pro. He may be able to help you.

If I decide they are for me I sure will! I don't want to waste his time by asking him lots of questions before I am absolutely set in all least a shortlist of dogs. Thanks for the info

Hello Jack_E. Have you researched the Akita? The Japanese type are impressive.

I haven't looked at the Akita any more than its size and lifespan. I'll be sure to give it a look, thanks.

Both the American and the Japanese Akitas have multiple health issues from various auto immune diseases to ACL repairs. They also have a lifespan of 10-13 years.

If you are going to look further into Akitas beware they can be dog aggressive and they also won't back down if an arguement was to escalate another thing to note they will become pushy around the 18month mark and how your already established dog will handle it.

Also if you are looking for a dog that will be obedient all the time the Akita isn't for you as they run on Akita time.

--Lhok

Edited by Lhok

Hello Jack_E. Have you researched the Akita? The Japanese type are impressive.

I haven't looked at the Akita any more than its size and lifespan. I'll be sure to give it a look, thanks.

Both the American and the Japanese Akitas have multiple health issues from various auto immune diseases to ACL repairs. They also have a lifespan of 10-13 years.

If you are going to look further into Akitas beware they can be dog aggressive and they also won't back down if an arguement was to escalate another thing to note they will become pushy around the 18month mark and how your already established dog will handle it.

Also if you are looking for a dog that will be obedient all the time the Akita isn't for you as they run on Akita time.

--Lhok

I looked them up on dogbreedinfo.com and they said pretty much all that. I like the sound of the Akita, however I the dog aggressive part does put me off. I understand that many of the breeds I like can also be dog aggressive, and that not all Akitas are aggresive, however when both you and a website that I consider to be reputable put that as a big deal I think I'll steer clear of them. Thanks for the info, Jack.

If you are interested in sports or further training, some of the breeds on your list will more suitable than others. The type of sport will also influence this.

For IPO or any of the protection sports, the most suitable would be the breeds traditionally used in those roles so GSD, Malinois, Dutch Shepherd, Dobermann, Rottweiler.

For obedience these breeds would also be excellent.

I feel unethical in choosing a dog because of its looks, but i would be lying if I said I didn't prefer the looks of a lot of the guardian and working dogs. To be honest when I very first started looking about 6 months ago I was solely looking at dogs over 40kg, however I have been increasingly broadening my search as I realise that I'm better off choosing a dog that suits my position over its size. I just love big dogs though because there is more of them to love.

Ah - I had this conversation at home the other day. Sometimes the heart wants what the heart wants. I think so long as you've done your research there's nothing wrong on basing choices (partly) on looks or possibly more specifically type - eg I'd never own certain breeds as they don't appeal to me. I'm unlikely to ever own a long haired dog, I'm too lazy. I'd love a neo mastiff but couldn't live with the drool. Equally, there are some dogs I adore the look of but wouldn't as they'd be too much for me. I'd love another weimaraner in my life (parents had them when I was a kid) but I'd be a terrible weim mum, I love Mals too - I think they're stunning - but too much dog for me.

If you are interested in sports or further training, some of the breeds on your list will more suitable than others. The type of sport will also influence this.

For IPO or any of the protection sports, the most suitable would be the breeds traditionally used in those roles so GSD, Malinois, Dutch Shepherd, Dobermann, Rottweiler.

For obedience these breeds would also be excellent.

I have considered this, how do you feel about the cane corso in dog sports? I have heard mixed opinions as they are a mastiff many people say they are Thick headed, whereas others say they are highly intelligent. Also, of the breeds on my list, what dogs do you think are best suited to agility training? Not necessarily competition but just as a fun outlet? Thanks, Jack

Ah - I had this conversation at home the other day. Sometimes the heart wants what the heart wants. I think so long as you've done your research there's nothing wrong on basing choices (partly) on looks or possibly more specifically type - eg I'd never own certain breeds as they don't appeal to me. I'm unlikely to ever own a long haired dog, I'm too lazy. I'd love a neo mastiff but couldn't live with the drool. Equally, there are some dogs I adore the look of but wouldn't as they'd be too much for me. I'd love another weimaraner in my life (parents had them when I was a kid) but I'd be a terrible weim mum, I love Mals too - I think they're stunning - but too much dog for me.

I think this is a situation that is effecting me. I love Mastiffs, however the slobber and the intelligence aren't really all that I'm after, whereas the mals, I love the thought of them lots, but honestly I think I wouldn't be able to cope with one. I'm glad that you understand what I'm saying and I really appreciate all the advice.

I have only met a couple of Cane Corsos, so I don't know them very well. I'm not sure how well suited they are for sports.

I compete in agility with Kelpies :) For agility, the smaller, lighter dogs on your list would be more suitable, so Malinois and Dutchies would be the ones I would choose out of your list. They would still be some of the biggest dogs in agility (if you do competitions).

Edited by Kavik

I seriously would not choose any of the mastiff breeds if you are intending to do dog sports - their joints are under strain already from sheer size (I'm sad to say) and running and jumping etc. can have major consequences when done often.

I would also avoid all of the Spitz derivatives as they need a very different training style.

One last hint - how important is the off switch to you? Most of the breeds you have short listed don't have an off switch until they are seniors. However, if you are dedicated enough with a working line breed, you can train in a temporary off switch.

I seriously would not choose any of the mastiff breeds if you are intending to do dog sports - their joints are under strain already from sheer size (I'm sad to say) and running and jumping etc. can have major consequences when done often.

I would also avoid all of the Spitz derivatives as they need a very different training style.

One last hint - how important is the off switch to you? Most of the breeds you have short listed don't have an off switch until they are seniors. However, if you are dedicated enough with a working line breed, you can train in a temporary off switch.

I guess a lot of the things I want are conflicting. Good with dogs and children is a must, and an off switch is ideal, but I understand I won't necessarily get one. In terms of big breeds(larger the better) what breeds would you say have the best chance of effectively competing in dog sports with ought hurting themselves. Although I agree with you in terms of almost all mastiffs, I have heard a lot about the cane corso being a very reliable protection dog and trainable dog, however if this is wrong I am happy to be corrected.

I have only met a couple of Cane Corsos, so I don't know them very well. I'm not sure how well suited they are for sports.

I compete in agility with Kelpies :) For agility, the smaller, lighter dogs on your list would be more suitable, so Malinois and Dutchies would be the ones I would choose out of your list. They would still be some of the biggest dogs in agility (if you do competitions).

If I was to do agility it would solely be for building my dogs confidence and trainer-dog bond, however if I was to compete or do trials I think I would be more inclined towards obedience/protection training. Still open to other ideas if you think this is a bad move though.

I don't think you can get Northern Inuits either but you can look at a Tamaskan.

I think a GSD would fit. Maybe have a look at the GSD thread. As long as they come from a ethical breeder with good lines there's no reason to expect issues. Although any breed can have unexpected issues. Sometimes life just happens.

Yeah I've looked into that. The dog that I thought to be a northern Inuit seems to be closer to a mutt 'lykoswolfdogs', so I started looking towards tamaskans, and whilst there are 4 dogs in Australia they are all male and someone will need to in port a bitch. I have joined all the tamaskans groups on Facebook in case of any action taking place.

There will be :) I think you should jump on the Australian Tamaskan page and maybe the Booma Tamaskan page if you are interested.

fyi, there is apparently a breeding pair of ni being imported to Australia at some point next yr (I think) though there will still be a wait for them to be old enough to be bred, as well as needing to past health tests.

I believe I talked to you the other day about tamaskan. in regards to puppy placement, they will be placed with people who have gotten to know me (and vise versa).

avoid the so called lykos dog.

Intelligentdog, good for obedience, large size, looks similar to what you are after. With good training an off switch would be manageable, Rottweiler?

Edited by LisaCC