Eastern European Shepherd

Jack_E

If you tell me a bit more about yoru lifestyle, family and what do you plan to do with the dog I will be able to tell you if a dobermann is suitable for you.

Kids, size of yard, height of fencing, typical day for you and the dog, Inside or out or both? Sports? Competitions?

What do you know about dog training.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you tell me a bit more about yoru lifestyle, family and what do you plan to do with the dog I will be able to tell you if a dobermann is suitable for you.

Kids, size of yard, height of fencing, typical day for you and the dog, Inside or out or both? Sports? Competitions?

He will be living on a three acre property, however predominantly within the acre and a bit that is fenced. The fenced are pretty typical farm fences, only about 1.2 metres high. There will be someone home pretty much all day, and in terms of young kids there is a 5 yo and a 3 yo that although young have quite a lot of dog experience. In terms of dog training I have never ventured far away from simple commands, eg. Sit, lye down, on your mat, crawl, out and a few more. He would spend most of the day outside with our other dog, however would come inside to sit I front of the fire after dinner until we go to bed, and on a cold day he will spend most of the day inside in front of the fire. In terms of walks/training we will strive to give him the amount he needs. As our current dog is an older bulldog, he only needs a walk every now and then, however he needs lots of attention, so that's what he gets. I am still unsure as to what dog sport I like the sound of the most, but I would most likely just be doing it for a bit of fun for me and the dog, rather than in a competitive circle. Thanks for the help. It'll definitely be useful in the process of deciding on a dog breed

For a bulldog , the fences sound ok . For a dog other than a bulldog , they seem very inadequate , unfortunately . that height can be jumped easily, if is farm type fencing, can possibly be squeezed thru or dug under., esp by a young and active-minded dog of the working breeds .

So the dog/s sleep outside? In a secure room/run , or just in the yard ?

The problem with younger dogs and sleeping outside at night is that they hear/smell/see all that goes on , and many tend to want to bark/explore . This is when neighbours start to get a bit edgy , and it can also be a time when dogs get into trouble .

Edited by persephone

For a bulldog , the fences sound ok . For a dog other than a bulldog , they seem very inadequate , unfortunately . that height can be jumped easily, if is farm type fencing, can possibly be squeezed thru or dug under., esp by a young and active-minded dog of the working breeds .

The problem with younger dogs and sleeping outside at night is that they hear/smell/see all that goes on , and many tend to want to bark/explore . This is when neighbours start to get a bit edgy , and it can also be a time when dogs get into trouble .

The neighbours wouldn't be a problem, as they live on the opposite corner of their block, and are friendly and love dogs. The thing that I'd be most worried about would be that the road we are on is a main road, and they could potentially get hit by a car????. The dogs would sleep in a kennel just out in the yard, however if you think that this would be inadequate for many of these breeds I'm sure we could make other arrangements like building a room/run for them. Also, whilst the puppy is really little, it will sleep in the laundry, however this will just be for the first few months

The neighbours wouldn't be a problem, as they live on the opposite corner of their block, and are friendly and love dogs. The thing that I'd be most worried about would be that the road we are on is a main road, and they could potentially get hit by a car????. The dogs would sleep in a kennel just out in the yard, however if you think that this would be inadequate for many of these breeds I'm sure we could make other arrangements like building a room/run for them. Also, whilst the puppy is really little, it will sleep in the laundry, however this will just be for the first few months

Why can't a new dog sleep indoors with you ? have you ever had a dog sleep indoors ? :) it is SO much less stressful for everyone. YOU aren't worried dog will bark/chase/get thru fences ..and the DOG is happy with its pack, and is comfortable .

My house dogs have always slept indoors - either in my room, or in a sleepout or laundry , tho I prefer them in with me - for security . Our working dogs are outside , and yes, they bark and bark at night - but as our nearest neighbour is kilometres away , it's ok that they 'guard' us from owls/foxes etc ;)

Must say I got my first dog, a staffy, as I had a stalker at the time. Couldn't see the sense in him being outside if someone was in the house, so he always slept beside my bed. He was bark not bite, but serious enough bark to deter someone trying to get in one night.

My current dogs are also beside the bed. At the least they are an audible alarm for intruders if not scary like a staffy can seem. Truth be told my staffy would have licked you to death, but he had a serious bark on him.

Why can't a new dog sleep indoors with you ? have you ever had a dog sleep indoors ? :) it is SO much less stressful for everyone. YOU aren't worried dog will bark/chase/get thru fences ..and the DOG is happy with its pack, and is comfortable .

My house dogs have always slept indoors - either in my room, or in a sleepout or laundry , tho I prefer them in with me - for security . Our working dogs are outside , and yes, they bark and bark at night - but as our nearest neighbour is kilometres away , it's ok that they 'guard' us from owls/foxes etc ;)

I wouldn't be opposed to them sleeping in the laundry, however we try to keep the bedrooms as a dog free place simply so we don't get hair in there. They are allowed in the lounge in the day, but if you think it would make a big difference to the dogs life, we may be able to make a change :)

My German Shepherd doesn't like to sleep inside. He prefers an open crate on the deck. We have brought him in many times with our other dog, who sleeps on our bed, but he always goes back out or waits until we let him out. We have also never had a dog (including our previous 4) jump our regular farm fences with dog wire attached to them.

Once a dog does escape, it becomes very difficult to keep him in. I have areas with rural fencing, a verandah with 1.5 metre pool fencing, and runs with 2 metre mesh fencing - and a border collie who has scaled or jumped every fence. Most of the time, he doesn't bother to do so, being quite happy to watch the livestock through even the rural fencing, but we need to crate or tether him, on the few occasions when we are unable to have him inside or supervise him outside.

I spent one Christmas raising a relative's 2 metre plus fence by another 40 cm because her German Shepherd had learned to scale it.

When we lived in suburbia, we were forced to put cement footings beneath our fence after our Siberian Husky shifted boulders as big as her torso to get under the fence.

Edited by DogsAndTheMob

Once a dog does escape, it becomes very difficult to keep him in. I have areas with rural fencing, a verandah with 1.5 metre pool fencing, and runs with 2 metre mesh fencing - and a border collie who has scaled or jumped every fence. Most of the time, he doesn't bother to do so, being quite happy to watch the livestock through even the rural fencing, but we need to crate or tether him, on the few occasions when we are unable to have him inside or supervise him outside.

I spent one Christmas raising a relative's 2 metre plus fence by another 40 cm because her German Shepherd had learned to scale it.

When we lived in suburbia, we were forced to put cement footings beneath our fence after our Siberian Husky shifted boulders as big as her torso to get under the fence.

I have owned dogs that are curious of what's outside of their homes, however I have never owned one with such a drive to get out. That husky sure sounds like it was an explorer!

I have had Dobermanns, Staffords, working dogs, Whippets and now a large cross on rural acerage. Never ever would I trust rural fencing to contain a dog of any of these breeds- ever. You are setting a dog up for failure.

Especially if you get a drivey working breed.

I have a dog yard that has brick runs attached and 2 metre chain mesh fencing. Some of mine are in that. Otherwise the are tethered or in a large garage when I am not there. Dogs left to amuse themselves do so when their owners are not around.

Remember also roaming dogs in rural areas especially when harassing stock will get shot.

I have had Dobermanns, Staffords, working dogs, Whippets and now a large cross on rural acerage. Never ever would I trust rural fencing to contain a dog of any of these breeds- ever. You are setting a dog up for failure.

I have a dog yard that has brick runs attached and 2 metre chain mesh fencing. Some of mine are in that. Otherwise the are tethered or in a large garage when I am not there. Dogs left to amuse themselves do so when their owners are not around.

Remember also roaming dogs in rural areas especially when harassing stock will get shot.

Excellent advice.

Once a pooch knows it can escape its a battle of the wills (and often wallet) to keep the little beggars in. We've had foxies go under, rotties go over and everything in between.

The day we got Scottie from the pound there was a chi who was climbing the chain mesh like a ladder - I took one look at Hubby and said "geeze - I wonder how he ended up here?"

Good post !

(My BOLDED bit )

I agree with the above, I had one of my German Shepherds littermate staying with us when we lived in QLD. 6 foot paling fences and the rails were on the other side, he jumped it clean. I now live rurally so have dog mesh (the strong type) surrounding the areas the dogs are allowed in. They are only in the big paddock (fenced) when we are there. They both sleep inside too.

Excellent advice.

Once a pooch knows it can escape its a battle of the wills (and often wallet) to keep the little beggars in. We've had foxies go under, rotties go over and everything in between.

The day we got Scottie from the pound there was a chi who was climbing the chain mesh like a ladder - I took one look at Hubby and said "geeze - I wonder how he ended up here?"

This is why my boarding kennel escapologist yards are 2 metre chain mesh pkus have another metre of angled in mesh as I have had dogs climb and hit the corners. The mesh runs are fully covered over the top inside and outside and I have seen dogs climb and jump and hit the top of those.

My own dogs are not climbers however my GD x Ridge when leaping off her back legs as got her head to around 20cm below the top of the 2 metre fence.

She was known to clear 1.8 metre fences when I got her.

I would never expect rural fencing to hold my Dobes or GD x if there were stock running around on the other side and my Dobes were very good with livestock, brought up with them and never allowed to engage in chasing even along fence lines

I'm not worried about livestock as although we have a couple of acres and farm like fencing, we live relatively close to suburbia and the only farm animals are a couple of horses, however I do understand what you mean about how I should never trust a dog alone to stay inside your fencing, especially with farm fencing

I'm not worried about livestock as although we have a couple of acres and farm like fencing, we live relatively close to suburbia and the only farm animals are a couple of horses, however I do understand what you mean about how I should never trust a dog alone to stay inside your fencing, especially with farm fencing

YOU might not be worried - however the horses' owners would be . :( Frightened horses can kill/injure themselves very quickly and painfully . A dog may be play-chasing - but horses are prey animals , and will more than likely flee. IF the horses are used top dogs - they can also fight back- and can kill a dog with one kick.

Living relatively close to suburbia is also a big concern with inadequate fencing - a large dog can cover a couple of kilometres in a very short time .

Yeah, horses are livestock and they will flee a dog and run straight through fencing - which can be the end for them or be the end of their ridden careers. Also I've seen horses kick out and kill dogs easily - in fact I used to own a welsh pony who was only as tall as my shoulder and used to murder chickens and chase and attack dogs.

Treat horses as livestock and invest in a run or decent fencing.

He will be living on a three acre property, however predominantly within the acre and a bit that is fenced. The fenced are pretty typical farm fences, only about 1.2 metres high. There will be someone home pretty much all day, and in terms of young kids there is a 5 yo and a 3 yo that although young have quite a lot of dog experience. In terms of dog training I have never ventured far away from simple commands, eg. Sit, lye down, on your mat, crawl, out and a few more. He would spend most of the day outside with our other dog, however would come inside to sit I front of the fire after dinner until we go to bed, and on a cold day he will spend most of the day inside in front of the fire. In terms of walks/training we will strive to give him the amount he needs. As our current dog is an older bulldog, he only needs a walk every now and then, however he needs lots of attention, so that's what he gets. I am still unsure as to what dog sport I like the sound of the most, but I would most likely just be doing it for a bit of fun for me and the dog, rather than in a competitive circle. Thanks for the help. It'll definitely be useful in the process of deciding on a dog breed

Based on what you have written I wouldn't recommend a dobermann to you. Mainly due to the fencing issue.

Whilst it might be ok when you are home, where would the dog be when you are not at home?

As a breeder (and I breed dogs with a lot of drive) I also wouldn't recommend a dobe with small kids. Its not that they are agresive, but they are very active and need an outlet (training) Play often ends up in kids tears as the dog steals their toys, knocks them to the ground running by etc. Most people cant cope with couple of small kids and adolescent dobermann.

If you were to get a dobe, you would need to build some fencing and perhaps get an adult (opposite sex to your bulldog) that has got a bit of training done already.

Happy to expand if you wish.