Seminar Insurance

I'm organising a small 2 day seminar and have hit an issue with insurance - the ground I'm planning to hire looks like it's insurance won't cover the event, however if you camp there for the night you pay an extra fee to cover insurance. :confused:

My limited experience with other seminars is that the facility covers all insurance as part of the hire fee, provided you're not doing anything that voids it.

Is this the case with hiring a facility to run an event?

At a brief glance event insurance looks to be overkill on numbers, I need something that will cover around 30 people maximum - not 1000.

Is there any kind of cover via VCA - I don't want to run it at our club as it will add 2 hours travel time each day, but maybe running it elsewhere is a possibility?

If anyone can give me any insight it would be much appreciated :)

I have organised a few and ended up deciding that through a club was easiest due to insurance. And also in terms of limiting liability for cost (mind you all have sold out and more than covered cost). You do need a good relationship with the club and clear outline of what you get, what you provide etc, what they get, what they provide. So the arrangement we had was it meant that the clubs instructors could have auditing places so the club got additional benefit in that way.

I'm organising a small 2 day seminar and have hit an issue with insurance - the ground I'm planning to hire looks like it's insurance won't cover the event, however if you camp there for the night you pay an extra fee to cover insurance. :confused:

My limited experience with other seminars is that the facility covers all insurance as part of the hire fee, provided you're not doing anything that voids it.

At a brief glance event insurance looks to be overkill on numbers, I need something that will cover around 30 people maximum - not 1000.

Is there any kind of cover via VCA - I don't want to run it at our club as it will add 2 hours travel time each day, but maybe running it elsewhere is a possibility?

I suspect the easy way to do this will be to run it through a Dogs Vic affiliate. Most of those insurance policies cover events regardless of whether they are held on club grounds or not.

The devil will be in the detail of the Affiliate's policy.

I suspect the easy way to do this will be to run it through a Dogs Vic affiliate. Most of those insurance policies cover events regardless of whether they are held on club grounds or not.

The devil will be in the detail of the Affiliate's policy.

It might be, and it might not be... I think for insurance purposes everything would need to go through the club, and I've already started paying for expenses. There is also the politics side of most clubs which may make it easier just to take the $400 hit and find my own insurance, or relocate it to a facility thats been offered to me but voids the whole idea of bringing someone to rural Vic.

Edited by Jess.

I guess the politics are definitely something to consider, but down here, Dogs Tas insurance will cover us if we go off site (for a demo or something) we just have to declare it an "active day", and pay the regular training day fee (I think it's$5 per day). So if the club concerned is OK with putting it under their cover, that would be the easiest way to go.

(Is talking to the relevant Dogs Vic Committee (OTEC, Agiliy Committee etc) an option .. they may be able to swing Dogs Vic cover.

The other thing would be to try to find an insurance broker and ask what the options are.

I have organised a few and ended up deciding that through a club was easiest due to insurance. And also in terms of limiting liability for cost (mind you all have sold out and more than covered cost). You do need a good relationship with the club and clear outline of what you get, what you provide etc, what they get, what they provide. So the arrangement we had was it meant that the clubs instructors could have auditing places so the club got additional benefit in that way.

Much better if run under the umbrella of a DV affiliate, could be at Bulla or KCC Park if you can get a booking, but can be run anywhere by an affiliate...........councils will want to see the club's insurance certificate which all DV affiliates get each year

• 4 weeks later...