Tips On Getting In To Showinh

Hetty

I'm keen on showing my French Bulldog. I've looked at the confirmation information for Frenchies and I think he's pretty good. He has a few small faults. He is on the mains register and he came from a good breeder. I've never shown a dog before though and I'm not sure where to start.

Are there any guides or anything I can read? I'm going to check out some shows (I've only been to one) to get more of a feel for it.

Also, he's only 5 months. Do I need to wait until he's an adult?

I know I'm a total noob so sorry if I've asked anything stupid! (And oops with the title, I'll blame my iPad!)

Edited by Hetty

Also, head to the ANKC Regulations and read section 5 (I think) for conformation rules.

What state are you in? I've only been showing since January and am completely addicted. I started by going with a friend who was also just starting out and her breeder mentored her through the start and is a really good friend now.

Puppies can start conformation classes from 12 weeks of age. If your Frenchie is still 5 months old he can enter Baby Sweepstakes (3-6 month all breed judging) and also Class 1 (Baby Puppy Class).

Once he hits 6 months you'll need to enter him in Puppy Sweepies (6-12 months) and Class 2 (Minor Puppy Dog 6-9 months).

Definitely speak with your breeder. If they're a showie hopefully they can help you out!

Thank you :) I will talk to his breeder. She said I could show him if I wanted to, at the time I'd given it no thought so I didn't discuss it with her. I'm planning on going to a show on Friday or Saturday, maybe I'll bump into her. Otherwise I'll give her a call. I joined the Facebook group but they haven't accepted me yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You need to join the state canine body you live in.

Many states have show handling classes.

5 months is not old but the sooner you can train your puppy for show ring manners the better .

If your breeder is willing to help ask them first .they MAY offer to handle your pup at some shows to get the into the groove whilst you learn

Thank you. I didn't know I had to join, thought that was just for breeders,

No it isn't you must be a financial member of your state body to compete,you can show Aussie .

You will be given a membership number and will receive your journal to enter shows ,the dog depending on the arrangements with your breeder the dog will be transferred into your name or joint names.

The breeder could handle the dog at present but for you to enter the ring you must be a member .Your breeder will be able to give you all the info

Is your puppy on Mains register or Limited register.

If it is the latter you cannot show him unless Karen is willing to put him on the Main register.

Limited register is there for dogs that cannot be bred from or shown.

He's on the mains register. We went to a show yesterday and I talked to the breeder (I was hoping I'd bump into her) and she's helping me out :) I've got to send his papers off to transfer him into my name and I have to join Dogs NSW. He needs a lot of training as well so doing that in the mean time and I'll take him to more shows to get him familiar with it all.

Edited by Hetty

He's on the mains register. We went to a show yesterday and I talked to the breeder (I was hoping I'd bump into her) and she's helping me out :) I've got to send his papers off to transfer him into my name and I have to join Dogs NSW. He needs a lot of training as well so doing that in the mean time and I'll take him to more shows to get him familiar with it all.

That's great news and odds are we possibly crossed paths without even knowing. I was at North of the Harbour with my dogs too!! If you ever need help and your breeder isn't available gimme a yell to see if I'm at the same show. Our group of friends consists of terriers, English springer spaniels and a Finnish Lappie so we're an odd bunch!! :laugh: