Dog Bites Dog That Puts Paw Under Fence

if one has a small dog , ANY fence gaps should be small dog proof .

Did anyone actually SEE the bite happen , or did lady find out later ? if no eye witness account , small dog could have injured paw in another way ?

Can't help with the legalities , sorry .

Neighbours dog has placed its paws inside your dog's yard space, trespassing if you like so I would consider them at fault and starting the problem. Is it a shared fence line or was the neighbour not supervising her own dog's behaviour while out of its yard? The other issue is whether the fence was fit for purpose. Does it contain your dogs? Then yes it is. Have they ever dug out under that gap? If yes then perhaps the fence is not fully fit for the purpose of containing your dog and keeping others out. I would think there could be some blame on both sides so I would not be paying entire vet bill but would be finding out more about how it happened. If their dog started it they have to accept some of the blame, especially if they were in public with it and not supervising what it was doing.

Fence is a boundary one on corner with a planted garden on verge. 1m high brick under colourbond fence. All per regulations. Could keep in a fence jumper.

I wasn't home when accident happened.

Dog jumps up on brick wall and barks at Ivy.

Ranger is not taking it further but neighbour wants his vet bill paid.

for.

These dogs are so annoying and bark constantly if left outside. Neighbour is a trouble maker.

Eta .. we took it upon ourselves to cover up gap to keep their dogs out. Ranger was fine with the gap.

Edited by Ivory & Beau

If it smells fishy then it probably is. Play the waiting game for now and see what comes of it. If the neighbour knew their dog barked at your dog and did nothing about the gap on their side either then that indicates to me they didn't see any need to protect their dog from your dog. Now there has been an incident you have responded by covering the gap on your side. If they haven't what does that tell you about their concern for their dogs? It sounds like an accident instigated by their dogs. You have rectified your part in the accident. You may choose to contribute financially but I certainly wouldn't give more than half. Hopefully one of the legal peeps will come on here and set your mind at ease. As far as attributing blame goes though it certainly can't all be sent in your direction because the fence gap (which you both have a share of) didn't start the problem - the behaviour of the smaller dog did.

I'm not paying a cent to the wanker. He's a bully.

Other neighbours have seen him with his dogs off lead running along our fence, stirring Ivy up.

Their dog is fine, I saw him jogging with his rats the other day.

Ivy was behind a secure fence!

Even in his report to this he admitted his dog put its paw UNDER the fence.

Did you just want to vent?

The question at the end makes it seem you want advice.

I do want advice but I'm not being understood correctly.

I've had two dogs pts in two weeks and this issue with Ivy.

Just over it right now.

Ill try again tomorrow.

Am I at fault?

No, not liable - ranger said as much and neighbour admitted his dog put paw on your side of the fence.

However - it's not what I'd want my dog to be doing - so I'd be blocking up the gap and bringing my dog inside if she barks at the fence or the neighbour's dog (or possum or cat). Ok if the cat or possum wakes me up while in my yard - I might do something different.

The neighbour is at fault but I would not want my dog to be biting other dogs paws or fence fighting so I would prevent this.

Did you just want to vent?

The question at the end makes it seem you want advice.

I do want advice but I'm not being understood correctly.

I've had two dogs pts in two weeks and this issue with Ivy.

Just over it right now.

Ill try again tomorrow.

:( you sound as if you're having a very rough time .

BREATHE .

Not sure what we've misunderstood - ?

Long story short.

Neighbours small toy size dog puts paw under our external fence (3inch gap).

Ivy snaps at intruding and yapping dog. Apparently biting dogs paw.

Neighbour reports a dog attack and sends me vet bill.

Am I at fault?

Hard to say - but possibly not.

You've said the ranger was happy with the set up - so again - I'd say you're probably not at fault.

Am I at fault?

No, not liable - ranger said as much and neighbour admitted his dog put paw on your side of the fence.

However - it's not what I'd want my dog to be doing - so I'd be blocking up the gap and bringing my dog inside if she barks at the fence or the neighbour's dog (or possum or cat). Ok if the cat or possum wakes me up while in my yard - I might do something different.

The neighbour is at fault but I would not want my dog to be biting other dogs paws or fence fighting so I would prevent this.

The gap was one section and it was over 1m off the ground but anyway there is now no gap at all. It's an 8ft high colorbond fence with limestone columns.

She's never ever in 8 years done anything like this before and I wasn't there. She protects her yard and I feel safe with her and Badger warning with barks.

I applied for a Release of Information for the rangers report and it arrived yesterday. So I just wanted to ensure that Ivy being on her own property etc.

Thanks everyone.

p.s - Our younger rescue Labrador become sick very quickly. Turns out she had pyo and we opted to pts due to the uncertain surgery costs. Worst decision I have had to make, then yesterday I had to have our 15 year old Labrador pts as his quality of life was nil. And I have had the Ivy issue hanging over my head. I couldn't imagine Ivy ever biting another dog :(