A Piece Of My Heart Is Gone 13/7/16

Animal House

Run free over the rainbow bridge Charlie boy, it was a privilege to be owned by you, the most placid, happy dog with funny little piano legs and an appetite bigger than a Lion.

You loved your humans, loved food (and stealing food) and the last 14 years you have been our constant companion.

We adopted you from the local pound as a 2yo Jack Russell x Staffy, who had run away from his previous two homes because he didn't like being left in the backyard alone, he would dig out and go wandering to find some people to be with apparently.....so home you came with us and you never looked back.

My son grew up with you and you would sleep on his bed, tucked in behind his knees, or on the couch under the blanket with him, You were his protector, his confidante and friend for so many years.

When Minty came along a few years later, you tolerated her, but she absolutely adored you, she loved you to bits and would sleep on you, which was okay when she was a puppy, but when she got bigger, she would just lay her self over you like a blanket, squash you, and you just groaned until she moved off your head, or I made her move.

You enjoyed laying in the sun on the grass, finding disgusting stuff to eat on your walks, licking floors and windows in your later years, and simply nothing fazed you. When I mowed the lawn and you were laying on the grass in the sun, I would literally just mow around you, because you saw no reason to move....enjoying the sun was just one of those simple pleasures.

The last 4 years or so you decided my bed was the place to be, (I reckon you realised I had snacks at night when watching tv) so you came and slept in/on my bed with Minty. You regularly stole my snacks right off the bedside table when I got up to go to the kitchen or loo, cheese, biscuits, chocolate, toast, the odd slurp of my cup of tea, you really were delighted with what you'd achieved...when I came back and told you off, you just looked at me and wagged your tail, you were just happy all the time, and always walked with a spring in your step.

It's been so hard watching you fade away from the dog I knew.....old age crept in over the last 8 months or so and took its toll on your body and mind, and having to make that decision to let you go was the hardest, yet the best thing I could do for you.

Yesterday at home, I took you for a little wander out the front, normally you would sniff the ground and wobble along on unsteady legs, but you just stood there with a vacant look before you followed me a few steps, so we had a very short wobbly wander around the grass before bringing you back into the warm under your blanket to wait for the vet.

There was lots of cuddles, whatever you wanted to eat, and you were laying on the couch with your head in my lap, eating a bowl of mince meat & left over pizza while the very lovely local vet (who did Mintys surgery a few weeks ago) & nurse helped you to fall into a deep sleep.

The last thing I could do for you was to help you go peacefully, and you went out doing your two favorite things, being next to your humans and eating.

Minty came and washed your face with some gentle licks to say goodbye. There were tears all round, but that's because you've been the best dog anyone could ask for.

You'll be forever in my heart Charlie, it's been a quiet and rather sombre household since yesterday afternoon, but we will have lots of lovely memories, so you'll never be truly gone.

Miss you already my little man, but I know you're in a better place.

Run free now at the bridge, you can play with those beautiful souls gone before you, you'll have lots of doggy friends to show you the way, find out where the best sunny spot is to lay, the best places to sniff, something disgusting to roll in no doubt, where to get the best treats, and of course, which butt to sniff, and if you're lucky, maybe a big dogs leg to hump.

post-6493-0-16884700-1468477588_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone, he was a cheeky boy in his younger days, that's for sure Corrie.

It's been so different without him, I'm not sure what to do wirh myself. Caring for an older dog with dementia and not much bladder control takes up a fair chunk of time, and now I don't have that to do. So I'm a bit lost at the moment