Lab Puppies In Sa

rubiton

Hi

Have had a look though the breed pages on Dogzonline and there seem to be many breeders with pups available from everywhere but South Australia. I've checked over the last month or so and plenty interstate none in SA. Is this normal as after trying a rescue dog on trial as a companion to our current lab (who was a rescue) we decided we either need to find a submissive female lab or a female lab puppy (the extra work involved with a puppy would be worth it than the stress of unsuccessful rescue placements). Thank you for any suggestions/help.

I know Pin Needham of Glenside vets - his partner breeds Labs - chocolate - there might be a couple of these at Agility at West Beach tonight (if training is on).

Or you could phone the vet office and ask for recommendations.

I would not describe any of his labs as "submissive". Most Labs I've met that are submissive get beaten up or bullied by other dogs at the park and/or they have major structural faults. One is quite shocking - nearly blind, legs don't work properly and is terrified of nearly everything. The owner's kids would not let that puppy be returned - and yet they don't help look after it.

So I guess there are breeders of good quality labs and breeders of completely crappy ones (structurally and temperamentally) so you want to go meet what they've got, do your research and don't take their word for anything without checking yourself.

I think there is another nice breeder / trainer, I've seen at SAODC. Gladys Hann. She uses club for distraction training mostly, as best I can tell - her labs are super friendly and seem well built to me. I always apologise for teaching one of her dogs to grovel-greeting - tho the lab (and my dog the grovel teacher) neither are really submissive. She breeds mostly yellow labs.

https://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/member.asp?name=GHANN

When we were looking for both our labs, we opted for an out of state breeder. When we looking in Adelaide for the first one, we couldn't find anyone with pups at the time. Next time around we opted for the same breeder.

Don't be afraid to go out of state looking for a well bred Lab pup.

Mrs Rusty Bucket you should meet our Maxi - he's a bit metro and will run and hide than stand up for himself at all (the rescue we have tried this week he literally hides behind us at times as the rescue was quite dominant with him) so we need to find a similar female or start with a puppy 'of his own kind'. Thank you for the suggestions so far I will follow up (I tried to look at the breeders page on Dogs SA but possibly it wasnt displaying properly on the computer at work).Maxi photo

Edited by rubiton

Most breeders don't list on Dogs SA website because it costs them more money than they think it's worth.

Some do list on DOL. But a lot are tech phobic and don't have much in the way of a web presence at all including not looking at their email.

The gun dog club probably has some labs coming there and they'd have a good idea of who is breeding what.

http://www.gundogclubofsa.org.au/obedience.htm

Or you can look up dog shows at Dogs SA or the SA lab club...

http://www.salabclub.com.au/

there's quite a few breeders listed there including Gladys.

I would just contact breeders and make an enquiry - many don't advertise as they don't have to.

I also second Suziwong - don't be afraid to look interstate. The trip here is easy on them and the additional cost minimal for the added benefit of a well bred puppy and good breeder support if you can't find someone locally.

ETA: Lots of SA breeders on Dogzonline https://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/breeders/labrador-retriever.asp?page=1&state=SA There are 4 or 5 on there I know of and would happily recommend. Will send you a PM.

Edited by piper