Trainer/behaviourist Recommendation In Sydney

I’m wondering if anyone can help me out with some recommendations for trainers or behaviourists around the Sydney area that use the same or similar methods of training as K9pro? I’m willing to travel for a good one. I’ve enquired with them but unfortunately their waitlist is so long and I would really like to get started on working with my pup as soon as possible so we don’t keep enforcing bad habits.

My 2 year old is very reactive when it comes to other dogs. Not in an aggressive or fearful way but in an overexcited ‘I want to play with everyone and must check out everyone’ way. So far I can get her attention and it’s not a big deal when the dog is across the road, but it gets crazy when the other dog is about 3-4 meters away. I’d love to be able to go out and walk normally without always having to check around every corner!

I have read and heard so many wonderful things about K9pro but they have such a long wait list and with family coming to visit in the next couple of months, the timing just does not seem to work out. I do know they train a number of dog trainers and dog clubs as well, so I am hoping someone here can point me to the right direction of a trainer or behaviourist that train with the same methods?

Thanks in advance :)

I do know they train a number of dog trainers and dog clubs as well, so I am hoping someone here can point me to the right direction of a trainer or behaviourist that train with the same methods?

Maybe you could ask K9pro to recommend someone if they can't fit you in.

Meanwhile you might want to search "Look at That" (LAT) training and "Behavioural Adjustment Training" (BAT). LAT comes from a book called "Control Unleashed" by Leslie McDevitt.

There's another concept called "click to calm" that might help.

If I can - I avoid letting my dog get "overexcited" and rude and I reward good behaviour especially when its in a situation where she'd normally be rude. If she does get overwhelmed - I do not reward any good behaviour that comes after with anything more than pats and praise - otherwise - she will act naughty then calm to get treats ("back chaining").

I do know they train a number of dog trainers and dog clubs as well, so I am hoping someone here can point me to the right direction of a trainer or behaviourist that train with the same methods?

Maybe you could ask K9pro to recommend someone if they can't fit you in.

Meanwhile you might want to search "Look at That" (LAT) training and "Behavioural Adjustment Training" (BAT). LAT comes from a book called "Control Unleashed" by Leslie McDevitt.

There's another concept called "click to calm" that might help.

If I can - I avoid letting my dog get "overexcited" and rude and I reward good behaviour especially when its in a situation where she'd normally be rude. If she does get overwhelmed - I do not reward any good behaviour that comes after with anything more than pats and praise - otherwise - she will act naughty then calm to get treats ("back chaining").

Thank you, I will search LAT and BAT training and try it out. And thanks for explaining 'back chaining' too, I see that mentioned quite a bit on here but did not know what it meant :)

And thanks for explaining 'back chaining' too

Usually it means something good ie if you want a long sequence of tricks - you start with training the last trick, then the second to last followed by the last, then third to last followed by the second to last followed by the last trick and so on until you have your sequence.

I run classes for "volatile" dogs in southern Sydney. Not sure how my methods compare to K9 Pro's, but I do love working with reactive dogs. I kind of like the frustrated greeters, even though sometimes they can be tricky. I've had the odd one that was a bit dramatic. I teach LAT and my classes are kind of like a mixture of BAT and Control Unleashed things and lots of setups and practicing in controlled scenarios. Creature Teacher

I run classes for "volatile" dogs in southern Sydney. Not sure how my methods compare to K9 Pro's, but I do love working with reactive dogs. I kind of like the frustrated greeters, even though sometimes they can be tricky. I've had the odd one that was a bit dramatic. I teach LAT and my classes are kind of like a mixture of BAT and Control Unleashed things and lots of setups and practicing in controlled scenarios. Creature Teacher

Two thumbs up for Corvus!! I have been happy with all the dogs she has seen after she has worked with them.

Explanation: I am a vet who dislikes going through the how to and mechanics of putting behaviour modification into practice and that is where Corvus excels. I don't get any benefit from her seeing clients, other than I end up with an easier time doing my work with them after they have been to see her!!

Bec from K9 Pro here! We are booked out now until October for standard consults though sometimes I can squeeze in an urgent earlier if we can move things around. Just shoot me an email if you want more info on this option [email protected] - we do everything we can to accomodate urgent consults where possible. Steve and I will both be away running instructors workshops in QLD from tomorrow, but I will be back in the office on Tuesday running consults and answering emails etc.

• 2 weeks later...