Howie Stolen

twodoggies2001

When will dog owners learn not to tie up their dogs outside shops. Howie was stolen from Preston market yesterday while his owner was inside a shop. He was taken by a group of men and I believe a woman.

I would never leave either of my two tied up outside a shop. It's been proven time and time again just how easy it is to walk off with leashed dog. Howie is not a dog of any value to anybody except his distraught owner. I just hope he wasn't taken to be used as a bait dog.

Please people, learn from this awful experience.

When will dog owners learn not to tie up their dogs outside shops. Howie was stolen from Preston market yesterday while his owner was inside a shop. He was taken by a group of men and I believe a woman.

I would never leave either of my two tied up outside a shop. It's been proven time and time again just how easy it is to walk off with leashed dog. Howie is not a dog of any value to anybody except his distraught owner. I just hope he wasn't taken to be used as a bait dog.

Was in a shopping centre near Bondi recently and tied to a bollard near the supermarket entrance were a pair of glorious great danes. so I gather the practice is not uncommon.

Do you have a link with any more info twodoggies? I live in that area and could keep an eye out for him. I'd never leave a dog anywhere in public out of my sight.

Do you have a link with any more info twodoggies? I live in that area and could keep an eye out for him. I'd never leave a dog anywhere in public out of my sight.

No sorry I don't. I just came across it on 3aw news

I saw 5 young kids tie up 3 Shih Tzu's outside a shop in Jerrabomberra/Queanbeyan area and tracked them inside Woollies and told them to NEVER tie the dogs up outside as some dogs have been stolen, well they took off quick smart and am sure they will NEVER do it again.

• 2 weeks later...

It is great that so many of you dont need to tie your dogs up. However for many many people it is simply not possible to avoid that situation. On a hot day you cant leave dogs in the car, you cant tie them up outside and nor should they be left alone for too long at home.

An OAP who takes her equally old dog for a gentle walk to the local shop each day is supposed to ...what?? Leave her dog at home so it doesn't get exercise or do two walks - one to get milk then home then another one to walk the dog?

Maybe we should be more concerned with the people who are breaking the law by stealing dogs!!! This forum offers a huge amount of wisdom, experience and support but it can also be very quick to victim-bash!

People will recall the story of the dog tied up outside a shop. Someone stole, not the dog, but the lead. Dog went out onto the road and was hit by a car. This isn't victim blaming, it's ensuring your dog is safe from harm.

I saw 5 young kids tie up 3 Shih Tzu's outside a shop in Jerrabomberra/Queanbeyan area and tracked them inside Woollies and told them to NEVER tie the dogs up outside as some dogs have been stolen, well they took off quick smart and am sure they will NEVER do it again.

Good on you. I see dogs tied up outside our local shopping complex all the time. Just so full of dangers to the dogs' welfare & safety. All shapes & sizes... this week I've seen a Shih Tzu cross & on another day, a lovely chocolate Labrador. I'm going shopping this afternoon & sure bet I'll see one.

I don't think it's an excuse to say, 'no other choice'. Separate taking a dog for a walk under your control all the time... & going to do the shopping.

I have seen stories out of England where people have been walking there dogs on lead and are pushed over and they try to take the dog off you. Also in off lead situations where they bring a bitch in season in to the are, dog follows bitch, dog is taken. I don't know how you are supposed to protect yourself and your dog.

People will recall the story of the dog tied up outside a shop. Someone stole, not the dog, but the lead. Dog went out onto the road and was hit by a car. This isn't victim blaming, it's ensuring your dog is safe from harm.

someone did that to my cow,Heffie. used to tether her on the vacant blocks near home, lucky for me she was used to coming home soon as I came home from work. only this time she was waiting at the gate for me. So glad they didn't take my cow.

It is great that so many of you dont need to tie your dogs up. However for many many people it is simply not possible to avoid that situation. On a hot day you cant leave dogs in the car, you cant tie them up outside and nor should they be left alone for too long at home.

An OAP who takes her equally old dog for a gentle walk to the local shop each day is supposed to ...what?? Leave her dog at home so it doesn't get exercise or do two walks - one to get milk then home then another one to walk the dog?

Maybe we should be more concerned with the people who are breaking the law by stealing dogs!!! This forum offers a huge amount of wisdom, experience and support but it can also be very quick to victim-bash!

Surely it is the individuals responsibility to keep their dog safe? If an OAP has a tree fall through her fence, and has no way of fixing it immediately it doesn't make it ok for her to just let the dog out in the yard regardless and blame someone else if it runs away or is stolen. It's up to her to keep the dog secure and safe.

If I left my key in my car while it was running, with the doors open and went into the shops of course a thief would be in the wrong for stealing my car. Pretty sure the majority of people (including an insurance company) would say I was also at fault for leaving the car that way :shrug:

Surely it is the individuals responsibility to keep their dog safe? If an OAP has a tree fall through her fence, and has no way of fixing it immediately it doesn't make it ok for her to just let the dog out in the yard regardless and blame someone else if it runs away or is stolen. It's up to her to keep the dog secure and safe.

If I left my key in my car while it was running, with the doors open and went into the shops of course a thief would be in the wrong for stealing my car. Pretty sure the majority of people (including an insurance company) would say I was also at fault for leaving the car that way :shrug:

Actually, in Victoria it is illegal to leave your car running unattended. I'm pretty sure it's illegal to leave it unattended when unlocked. You most certainly would not be covered by your insurer as it's all about mitigating your loss. And by knowingly leaving an invitation to thieves, you are partially at fault.

Actually, in Victoria it is illegal to leave your car running unattended. I'm pretty sure it's illegal to leave it unattended when unlocked. You most certainly would not be covered by your insurer as it's all about mitigating your loss. And by knowingly leaving an invitation to thieves, you are partially at fault.

I know you wouldn't be covered by insurance, I actually said that. My point is I see leaving a dog unattended on it's lead in a similar way. Of course no one should take your car/dog. But if you leave them right there with their keys/lead you're making it much more likely to happen.

I believe it's my responsibility to keep my dog a bit safer than that.