Random Dog Spotting

Katdogs

I just met two Leonbergers!

They're having a day-trip to Sydney and have been splashing in the harbour (and a fountain or two) and just had a nice lunch at The Rocks.

What beautiful dogs. Good looking, well behaved, and with nice owners who understood why I'd want to stop and chat and have a bit of a pat.

• Like 1

I have a Tibetan Mastiff at the end of my street, Boston the other end, and met a Westie for the first time a couple of days ago, owned by a fellow pommy ( scouser to be precise!) , what a tough little dog they are, gave my BT a piece of his mind :laugh:

We have a couple of Iggies who go for walks down our street. The owner was so excited that I knew what they were, LOL.

I met a flat coated retriever once - I asked quite timidly if it was one - you should have seen the beaming smile on the owners face when he said "Yes - I'm amazed you picked that"

The lady in Riverwood a while back with her Tentie was right chuffed that I knew what breed her cute little dog was... lol!

Made a huge mistake with the person at the station that had a Lagotto though... we don't usually see those here... usually the crosses that look similar... errr!

T.

Edited by tdierikx

We have a couple of Iggies who go for walks down our street. The owner was so excited that I knew what they were, LOL.

I met a flat coated retriever once - I asked quite timidly if it was one - you should have seen the beaming smile on the owners face when he said "Yes - I'm amazed you picked that"

The one on my couch would have tried to leave with you! Hahaha. Anyone stops to even make eye contact and he takes that as consent to love on you.

I can usually pick a breed a mile off. I surprised the guy with an English Toy Terrier a week or so back.

One of my less stellar moments was when I asked a lady with a couple of 12 week old generic SWF looking pups who walked into my salon for a quote, what are they crossed with....... They were Havanese,,oopsie. They really did look like every other 'Maltese cross' pet shop puppy that I see so often on my grooming table.

I just met two Leonbergers!

They're having a day-trip to Sydney and have been splashing in the harbour (and a fountain or two) and just had a nice lunch at The Rocks.

What beautiful dogs. Good looking, well behaved, and with nice owners who understood why I'd want to stop and chat and have a bit of a pat.

Ooh, you're so lucky! I'd have squealed like an idiot. :p

I drove past someone with an Afghan today; if there had been somewhere to pull over I'd have stopped to tell them how much I admired their dog. :D Our local dog park is frequented by a pair of Puli- still young and growing their dreads. I was astounded when I asked what they were, never seen them without the cords and certainly not in public!

I saw a Black and Tan Coonhound on the beach in Wollongong recently. While walking with a pile of Vallhunds, my Lapphund, and my Podengo, that is. It bayed!

Baby Afghan at the park a couple of months ago. So adorable! She wanted to play chase with my baby Podengo.

The beach in Cronulla often has some rare sights. There's a flattie that goes there sometimes. I'm pretty sure I saw a Curly-coated Retriever, once. Gordon Setters, PBGV (We totally eyed off each other's short, rare breeds), Leonberger, Samoyeds, Berner, and I've seen some non-ANKC breeds, as well. Mini American Shepherd and Alaskan Klee Kai. There was a Tibetan Mastiff in my classes recently. She liked me, which is to say she would lean on me casually and not look offended if I spoke to her. There are now about another 3 Lapphunds in my area that I know of. Someone once jammed on their brakes while driving past us on a busy road, wound down their window, and shouted "Is that a Finnish Lapphund??" They parked and came over for a chat. I ran into a Bergamasco several years ago, which was a memorable experience. Beautiful dog. Tactile wonderland! And we also came across a Tibetan terrier a few years ago.

LOL I saw a lady with a lovely unclipped Griffon (rough) and complimented her, only to be told by her that it was a Pug x LC Chihuahua- she was certain of that because that's what she was told by the RSPCA (gippsland somewhere) when she adopted it! Unusual to have someone with a purebred argue that it is a cross!!

I suggested she get an opinion from Griffon breeders online, it definitely was a Griff!

I have been known to be wrong - one day I was admiring a gentleman's dog in a pet store and asked him if she was a Rottweiler cross? Um, no - she was a titled purebred Tibetan Mastiff LOL embarrass.gif

I often see two beautiful Chows at the beach near by. And the other week at training I saw a St. Bernard puppy that had eyelashes, ears and feet to die for. Also a Giant Scnauzer and a Lagotto at another beach.

I had to stop and pat a very young Weimaraner pup the other day at a cafe.

That owner was also amazed that i knew the breed of her dog :laugh:

She asked if i had one, and i just said "No, I'm just a bit of a dog nerd!"

ETA: we have a nice weim and dally pair, a couple of greys, and a xoloitz....however you spell that!

That walk around my area. Its nice to see something different :)

And the local pet shop put up a picture of an ibizian hound who visited the other day- wish i had met him!

Edited by denali