Nsw Pet Registry Now Online

~Anne~

I have two dogs in a new home that travel between NSW and Qld. What's the most reliable (national?) database for this pair?

99% of our dogs are NSW/ACT, maybe I should put everyone on a national database as well?

I'm not even in a border town and I don't travel with Malcolm, but seeing posts about dogs who went missing or were stolen and wound up in other states, and even hearing from my own vet about people bringing home lost dogs found on holidays, I didn't want to risk it.

I did some research on DOL and Central Animal Records came up as a good option. I also liked that I could change my details online.

I'd still keep them on the NSW database even if it's not a legal requirement (I feel like it might be?) as I can imagine some NSW people not bothering to check other registries if they couldn't read the chip.

Edited to add that I've seen recommendations not to add dogs to all/too many registries as you may forget to update them all.

Edited by Papillon Kisses

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have two dogs in a new home that travel between NSW and Qld. What's the most reliable (national?) database for this pair?

99% of our dogs are NSW/ACT, maybe I should put everyone on a national database as well?

I'm not even in a border town and I don't travel with Malcolm, but seeing posts about dogs who went missing or were stolen and wound up in other states, and even hearing from my own vet about people bringing home lost dogs found on holidays, I didn't want to risk it.

I did some research on DOL and Central Animal Records came up as a good option. I also liked that I could change my details online.

I'd still keep them on the NSW database even if it's not a legal requirement (I feel like it might be?) as I can imagine some NSW people not bothering to check other registries if they couldn't read the chip.

Edited to add that I've seen recommendations not to add dogs to all/too many registries as you may forget to update them all.

If you live in NSW it is illegal for them not to be on the NSW companion animals data base whether they are on another one or not

I've survived the horrible recaptcha security, and the silly security questions, and put in my driver licence. So far so good.

However I don't seem to be able to claim any of my dogs.

Does the phone number have to be in a particular format?

I'm reading straight off printout from the Certificate of Registration from NSW CAR that was sent by council.

It's a bit of a worry. I'll persevere but I wonder how many others will.

I've survived the horrible recaptcha security, and the silly security questions, and put in my driver licence. So far so good.

I'm reading straight off printout from the Certificate of Registration from NSW CAR that was sent by council.

Same problem they keep telling me that my dogs dont exist.

Ive got a litter of puppies papers here that went home last week and I was hoping I could just notify change of ownership

Ive received notice from council that they are in the system but the Pet registry says no such animal.

Yes. This one is my favourite as well, I recommend it wherever I can. :)

Ive got a litter of puppies papers here that went home last week and I was hoping I could just notify change of ownership

Ive received notice from council that they are in the system but the Pet registry says no such animal.

I just signed up and worked out that YES. Phone format DOES MATTER.

One of my dogs, the phone number is xxxxxxxxxx

The other two after being "not found" have been input as xxxx xxx xxx

Still can't find my cat though after trying all number combinations possible. She was registered in 2003 though.

Edit: if you still have your pet's council registry certificate like I do, it's easy to check what format your phone number is in from that.

Edited by RiverStar-Aura

Still can't find my cat though after trying all number combinations possible. She was registered in 2003 though.

Edit: if you still have your pet's council registry certificate like I do, it's easy to check what format your phone number is in from that.

Ive got the forms in my hand so being careful how they are being put in - still nothing

Ive got the forms in my hand so being careful how they are being put in - still nothing

I had problems too. It turns out that my name on the form said Anne xxxxx (c/o Pug Rescue Sydney). Once I had the old data updated and they removed the reference to pug rescue Sydney it worked.

I signed up last night and had a few dramas. I did post in this thread about it but can't see it now!

Out of 7 microchips I was able to claim 1!

There seems to be some switchover problems related to data recognition. As Riverstar said, spaces in phone numbers are important, and as in my example, there was additional info in the old registry that was attached to my name so it couldn't match what I was in putting.

Wait, could mine be because I changed my name? Does it go by name and chip number?

I have a feeling it must also go by name, which would explain why I can't find my cat. She's technically registered in my mum's name even though we live in the same house so even though it asks only for microchip and phone numbers, it must cross reference all other info too.

I'm going to go sign mum up and see if I can find the cat that way.

Wait, could mine be because I changed my name? Does it go by name and chip number?

Yes. You need to update your existing records with council to show your updated name.

I had the correct chip number, correct telephone spaces but my dogs chip details were recorded as my name and then in brackets c/o pug rescue Sydney so it couldn't match me to that record.

My paperwork is all over the place with addresses, but number is the same.

I might have to go manually update everyone then go back and see if I can find them

Contact council. They'll have to update the old register.

I have a feeling it must also go by name, which would explain why I can't find my cat. She's technically registered in my mum's name even though we live in the same house so even though it asks only for microchip and phone numbers, it must cross reference all other info too.

I'm going to go sign mum up and see if I can find the cat that way.

Correct. If she's registered in your mum's name, you'll need to get mum to add her profile and then transfer the cat to you.

Edited by ~Anne~