Nsw Pet Registry Now Online

~Anne~

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some niggles.

First I have to have ID to use the online system but I dont need ID to have a dog chipped. I need a breeder ID number or I can use my approved org number. I entered my MDBA breeder number so how do they know that really is my breeder ID number or even if I am an MDBA breeder member?

Then if I don't claim my pet with the phone number which is taken at the time the chip is put in their system it doesn't link it to me. They cant chip a dog in someone's name that isn't there on the day to sign for it so if I send my kids or friends or staff along to have them chipped each time that other person gets their own ID number as if they are the breeder .They cant let anyone turn up and use my breeder ID number unless Im there to sign for it either. I could use a couple of different vets and say Im a couple of different people and no one would know how many I own or breed.

Ill wait until the big launch and vets are given new forms and instructions etc but it looks to me that all we are seeing is a system that will make it easier for pet owners to change their details when they move and even if the breeders chip their puppies [around here most don't] there are some gaping holes and its certainly not going to achieve the stated goals of knowing where the breeders are and how many they breed and tracking where dogs come from unless of course they are mugs like me and play by the rules.

well that is weird, i have finally been able to claim my old boy using his original registration certificate which has all of his correct details. The online version information is a combination of his details and the info of one of my now deceased dogs. Looks like i will be making a trip to council to check it out. :shrug:

Thistle my recommendation to anyone outside NSW who owns a dog with a NSW chip is to transfer the details of that chip to one of the national registries. Central Animal Records is my favourite, they are very responsive and won't change chip details without trying to contact former owners. There are also Australian Animal Registry (not too bad) and National Pet Register (wouldn't recommend them).

Of course, what we all want is a single national registry...

Couldn't agree more!

Few years back, when an adult Tibbie came up to me in Brisbane from NSW, I had no idea that there was a separate NSW chip registry. I thought all microchipping was on a national data base. Filled in form I got from the vet & sent it to the national registry, which I thought was the only one... to change ownership details. Figured all was well. 12 months on I asked a vet nurse at the Brisbane vet clinic to double check data for both our Tibbies' chips. The girl from NSW didn't lead to any data at all. Vet nurse went into detective mode. Hunted around until she found there was a separate NSW registry (she hadn't known about it either) so the ex-NSW girl's chip couldn't be read. So, then the vet nurse steered the way to transfer our Tibbie from the NSW registry to a national one (CAR).

Just as well our Tibbie didn't go missing during those 12 months! Why on earth does NSW have a separate microchip registry when there's considerable movement of dogs across state boundaries?

Edited by mita

• 2 weeks later...

I found my kitten and was able to claim him but even though I am listed as a breeder, when I went to pay his life time registration it came up as $195! I think I need a trip in to the local Council. :laugh:

Now I am going to try and claim the others again.

There has always been phone support - your local council. :)

Just be forgiving of your local council who are also learning how the new system works as well! :laugh:

I think it depends who you get through to on the day... Though both Canterbury and Marrickville stuffed up entries a few times so I just kept emailing until they got it right!

There has always been phone support - your local council. :)

Just be forgiving of your local council who are also learning how the new system works as well! :laugh:

I think it depends who you get through to on the day... Though both Canterbury and Marrickville stuffed up entries a few times so I just kept emailing until they got it right!

Definitely - some are more proactive and helpful than others - but all of us have had limited training and help with the new system and on top of that we don't actually have access to it ourselves (except as pet owners if we are), so it's hard guiding people through it when you aren't using it!

• 2 weeks later...

OK FOLKS how do you get the stupid thing to register?

it says search for your address, it wont let your enter it in the boxes it wants you to type it and it give a drop down of it and similar and tells you to click on the correct one and it (cousin it, im begiing to suspect) is supposed to fill all those lovely locked boxes.

except click on it and zilcha ZIP nothing happens?

what next besides meltdown?

Give them a call tomorrow, asal, and they will be able to help you.

did that, she could'nt figure out why it wouldn't work, still glitches in the system she said.

took my number for an expert to call but still waiting