Nsw Pet Registry Now Online

~Anne~

Give them a call tomorrow, asal, and they will be able to help you.

did that, she could'nt figure out why it wouldn't work, still glitches in the system she said.

took my number for an expert to call but still waiting

Same here and to be honest I dont have the time I've spent so far in trying to make it work . Id rather simply fill out the change of owners forms for my puppies ,send it in to council and let them do the job.

Ill have another look in a little while to see if its any easier but Im not up for spending this much time and energy on simply doing councils job for them until its all sorted.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can still do the paper based system if you prefer. Any changes you make will be added to the new system though eventually because it is designed to replace the existing, not be in addition to it.

Edited by ~Anne~

You can still do the paper based system if you prefer. Any changes you make will be added to the new system though eventually because it is designed to replace the existing, not be in addition to it.

Im aware of that and I was eager to participate. I would assume any changes would be added to the system by council straight away as they expect us to do. Ill keep coming back to see if its easier to work but Im not prepared to spend hours and get nowhere.

I'm not sure why you still have problems, tbh. Most are sorted out very quickly and by the numbers that have created profiles and claimed their pets, it shows the system is working and working well.

The greater majority of issues are simply down to datamatch. Your details have to match what is on the old database. If they're wrong, it won't match you and you have to correct the old one first. If it's an address issue, it's potentially because the geo system isn't matching your address to a recorded address. This may affect some address types.

There were some initial issues and there will always be data matching problems that need to be worked through. Sometimes it's simply a spelling error on the old database or chip number recorded incorrectly and these can and are sorted very quickly. As I explained earlier, my details were all correct but I didn't twig that because it also had (c/o Pug Rescue Sydney) in the name of the old one, I had to have the old database updated first, and have it removed to enable me to claim my pets.

There are a number of things you can do to ensure the data match is correct. I know you think you have done this, but obviously you haven't because you're still not able to claim your pets. You can wait all you like and chances are the issues will not resolve themselves. :)

Edited by ~Anne~

I went into my local Council (Shoalhaven) last week and the person that served me was very helpful. She pulled all my records up on a screen that I could view and we went through them all, fixed the one where I had used my middle name and then I paid for my kitten's rego. When I got home I could then 'claim' my missing cat. So despite my initial problems, once I was more careful with my phone numbers and spacing, all worked out well.

I'm not sure why you still have problems, tbh. Most are sorted out very quickly and by the numbers that have created profiles and claimed their pets, it shows the system is working and working well.

The greater majority of issues are simply down to datamatch. Your details have to match what is on the old database. If they're wrong, it won't match you and you have to correct the old one first. If it's an address issue, it's potentially because the geo system isn't matching your address to a recorded address. This may affect some address types.

There were some initial issues and there will always be data matching problems that need to be worked through. Sometimes it's simply a spelling error on the old database or chip number recorded incorrectly and these can and are sorted very quickly. As I explained earlier, my details were all correct but I didn't twig that because it also had (c/o Pug Rescue Sydney) in the name of the old one, I had to have the old database updated first, and have it removed to enable me to claim my pets.

There are a number of things you can do to ensure the data match is correct. I know you think you have done this, but obviously you haven't because you're still not able to claim your pets. You can wait all you like and chances are the issues will not resolve themselves. :)

All of my dogs are in the system somewhere and every single one is chipped and registered and that is recorded somewhere. I have done what I have been required to do. I dont NEED to do anything to claim them. When I go into my council to pay to register a new dog all of my stuff is in a folder so at their office they are all somehow attached to me so one of these days the council may be able to sort through errors and attach them all online in the new database to me. When I chip a litter of puppies they are also in the system somewhere so if I simply keep doing what I've been doing and sending change of owner details to my council where I simply pop the forms in the post when I go into my local township and somewhere in their system the details are changed, I'm having a hard time seeing whats in it for me to play around trying to 'claim them" work out if there are errors , ring or visit a town during business hours that takes me way out of my way , follow up what errors I need to have corrected come home and claim them to change them over on line into the new owner's name etc. Hopefully when/ if breeder numbers really are attributed to each litter/puppy and they automatically are attached to me on the new database so I don't need to "claim them" before I change the ownership and the microchip forms are changed with data entry able to take into account spelling errors etc by vet nurses and council data entry it wont be so time consuming for people [breeders] who have to muck around with it more than once or twice in their pet dogs lifetime.

The obvious question is - if its this easy not to have a dog attached to me so it can be seen to be attached to me on the new data base how is this anymore than an online abaility for pet owners to change ownership? How disappointing.

As I said, you can continue to travel to the council and visit them personally. For most of us, we will do away with the need to visit council personally and do it all from the comfort of our lounge rooms. Moving house? Not a problem log in and update your pets details. Lose your mobile nad get a new one with a new number? Not a problem, login and update it. Buy a new puppy and need to register it? Do it online while watching Masterchef.

Edited by ~Anne~

As I said, you can continue to travel to the council and visit them personally. For most of us, we will do away with the need to visit council personally and do it all from the comfort of our lounge rooms. Moving house? Not a problem log in and update your pets details. Lose your mobile nad get a new one with a new number? Not a problem, login and update it. Buy a new puppy and need to register it? Do it online while watching Masterchef.

Meanwhile the poor person employed by council becomes, so is made, redundant. Another job gone, another person on the scrap heap, and the back up tech job outsourced to India.

Meanwhile the poor person employed by council becomes, so is made, redundant. Another job gone, another person on the scrap heap, and the back up tech job outsourced to India.

OR, the overworked Companion Animals Officer that has no time to be proactive finally has enough time to be proactive!

Give them a call tomorrow, asal, and they will be able to help you.

did that, she could'nt figure out why it wouldn't work, still glitches in the system she said.

took my number for an expert to call but still waiting

Same here and to be honest I dont have the time I've spent so far in trying to make it work . Id rather simply fill out the change of owners forms for my puppies ,send it in to council and let them do the job.

Ill have another look in a little while to see if its any easier but Im not up for spending this much time and energy on simply doing councils job for them until its all sorted.

I feel like you do and I've given up.

You do realise that no one single person is employed to do data entry, don't you? Seriously, tell me what council employs someone just to enter details into a database? And wtf has outsourcing jobs to India got to do with anything? :laugh:

The new system will actually free up time spent doing mindless administrative tasks and enable Councils to direct resources to areas of need in the areas companion animal management.

Edited by ~Anne~

OR, the overworked Companion Animals Officer that has no time to be proactive finally has enough time to be proactive!

Exactly!

Exactly!

no the office staff at the reception desk do it, certainly at our council. so the companion animals officer isnt involved in that boring stuff fortunately

Exactly, overworked, because there are not enough staff to do the tasks at hand.

You do realise that no one single person is employed to do data entry, don't you? :laugh:

Of course I do, Anne, but Council is no different to other areas of the public sector, starved for cash and cut back to the bare bones. You are probably a fan of small government, I prefer to see people in employment.

However, this is completely off topic, and I had no problem registering and claiming my dogs after looking up my copies of the transfer forms. :)

A smart programmer could have made the data matching a lot easier for end users.

Exactly, my neighbors son is a programmer and he is meticulous, his programs were bought by the likes of Manchester united, Chelsea and just about every soccer club in england and europe including many in australia n the olympic centre at homebush bay, but so many are simply not properly done, still no call as promised so I think ill bide my time and leave it till they have ironed out the glitches. never forge the mess that Equestrian Australia bought, didnt even call for tenders, gave it to a board members spouse and the result of think if memory served over half a million for a complete lemon that had to be replaced and thats a lot of money lost from a org thats entirely member funded.

Edited by asal

Exactly, overworked, because there are not enough staff to do the tasks at hand.

You do realise that no one single person is employed to do data entry, don't you? :laugh:

Of course I do, Anne, but Council is no different to other areas of the public sector, starved for cash and cut back to the bare bones. You are probably a fan of small government, I prefer to see people in employment.

However, this is completely off topic, and I had no problem registering and claiming my dogs after looking up my copies of the transfer forms. :)

tried that too. no go

Exactly!

no the office staff at the reception desk do it, certainly at our council. so the companion animals officer isnt involved in that boring stuff fortunately

I am a Companion Animals Officer. While we do have admin staff who enter the bulk of the paperwork (among many other things - this is in no way going to mean they don't have work to do and will lose their jobs), a large proportion of my time is still spent chasing up paperwork (because people can't be bothered to do something they can't do online), helping people complete paperwork, entering paperwork, posting paperwork etc etc etc

Once the teething period is over and the vast bulk of it is being done online I'm going to have more time to do the kind of proactive things that I don't have time to do right now.

Do you think the new system will let me change the microchip from the original owner/pound to me? Even though I live in Victoria?

T and I will be going up to NSW on a short roadtrip if they want us to do it in person. I'd just feel a lot more relaxed if both registries had her real owner and contact details - me. :(

I'm never getting a NSW chipped dog again, too much of a bother :(

Edited by Thistle the dog