Nosework: Great For Dogs!

Scottsmum

Little Gifts there are two places in Brisbane teaching Nosework as well as a round of seminars & workshops with Fred Helfers from the US to be held in Brisbane in October as well as the second Queensland ORT.

My dog's have both been doing it for years and passed the ORT held in QLD last year :)

Funny we talked about heaters last note in class. Yes they definitely effect the scent. This topic because I asked if it was bad to search in windy conditions. Out of four dogs all r so different. And if I was honest although my dog is a champion to me , we had some awesome sniffers in class.

• 2 weeks later...

First class this afternoon. Homework: desensitise to small cardboard boxes. She'll happily sit in a big one, but you want me sticking my nose in a little one, forget it. It was fun and she was exhausted at the end.

Lol, nosework fail this morning! He was excited to play, but disappointed with what he found in the hides so he spat them out and kept on sniffing! :laugh: They were pieces of a biscuit from the show that he was excited about last night, but ok Mal, I think they're rubbish ingredients-wise too. :laugh: At least all that sniffing helped short-circuit a little anxiety attack.

First class this afternoon. Homework: desensitise to small cardboard boxes. She'll happily sit in a big one, but you want me sticking my nose in a little one, forget it. It was fun and she was exhausted at the end.

Sounds like a good afternoon all in all! Lots of fun and brainwork, and I'm sure you'll get there with the small boxes in time. Malcolm had a big success after a nosework class with finally getting over a fear of rubber toys that I had been desensitising him to for months. Amazing how it builds their confidence.

We had our second class yesterday. On to birch in a tin. Fern did ok. She was as good as the Shepherd. We must look an odd bunch, a big GSD and a teeny Mini Foxie. They were both worn out by the end of the class.

I'm learning patience.

:) Really?

LOL - I just enjoyed the ride. It's so great when you get to the point where they know where it is and you have NFI.

Such a fun sport.

Yep. I have to sit on my hands and let her work it out, lol. We knew where the first couple of hides were.

I got this idea from an American Tibbie owner who bought one of these from a pet store... called 'Dog Memory Test.'

But I found one of those children's inset puzzles from Vinnies. With nice big picture pieces the children have to match with holes.

I hide a bit of Smacko (because it's flat) in one hole & put all the pieces in.

I put it on the floor & tell a Tibbie ,'Find the Smacko!' Annie's never missed finding the right one first go.

I got this idea from an American Tibbie owner who bought one of these from a pet store... called 'Dog Memory Test.'

But I found one of those children's inset puzzles from Vinnies. With nice big picture pieces the children have to match with holes.

I put it on the floor & tell a Tibbie ,'Find the Smacko!' Annie's never missed finding the right one first go.

You can also do the same with a muffin tin and tennis balls - if your dog isnt tennis ball obsessed...

You can also do the same with a muffin tin and tennis balls - if your dog isnt tennis ball obsessed...

Good idea.... & it'd add variety which is a challenge in itself.

• Troy unlocked this topic