Nosework: Great For Dogs!

Scottsmum

This could go in lots of threads, so I thought I'd start a new one :D

It's no secret that I am a super-dooper over the top fan of Nosework. This is just one of the reasons why.

http://scentsabilitiesnw.com/blog/nosework-a-ray-of-hope-for.html

Just a small part of the blog:

At the end of the six weeks, Gabby had progressed through three weeks of material quite successfully! We never had the expectation that she would be complete with the materials in six weeks and the fact that she progressed so quickly with the materials was amazing!! She was hunting for her raised boxes and correctly identifying the box with the Birch odor. More importantly, she was exhibiting excitement and JOY.

At the same time, Colleen started to notice changes in Gabby in between her practice sessions. She was again starting to seek out attention and cuddle time with her family. She had more interest in her toys and her overall symptoms started to decrease.

N.B. Title updated - cause it's true ;)

Edited by Scottsmum

One of Em's pups, Murphy, just passed his Odour Recognition Test - first event held in Vic! He is flying through it of course but it is great for worried dogs. If anyone is interested I can put you in touch with Noseworks folk in Victoria.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

One of Em's pups, Murphy, just passed his Odour Recognition Test - first event held in Vic! He is flying through it of course but it is great for worried dogs. If anyone is interested I can put you in touch with Noseworks folk in Victoria.

Go Murph!

***I*** Stuffed up Scottie's ORT :/

Go Murph!

***I*** Stuffed up Scottie's ORT :/

We've ALL been there one or a thousand times :o Murphy's owner nearly blew it - he's like a bull in a china shop and she nearly didn't trust him.

I do moseworks in Wollongong. My Kelpie can't do the agility she lovesdue to HD. I created a dog that loves to work so this is a game she can play. Plus her nervous round rowdy dogs isn't an issue. Great game.

I am really looking forward to when I am in level 4 and T and I can start doing tracking. We could start now, but this is one of the lessons I want to do from scratch with the instructors to make sure we do it right.

It is really hard to hold out for it :laugh: hopefully her ability to find the treat right under her nose will improve :laugh: :laugh:

Edited by Thistle the dog

I am really looking forward to when I am in level 4 and T and I can start doing tracking. We could start now, but this is one of the lessons I want to do from scratch with the instructors to make sure we do it right.

It is really hard to hold out for it :laugh: hopefully her ability to find the treat right under her nose will improve :laugh: :laugh:

Although both are scent related, noseworks is different from tracking and does not have any obedience requirements. :)

Although both are scent related, noseworks is different from tracking and does not have any obedience requirements. :)

Had not realised! How so?

(would still hold off to avoid confusion, but curious!)

In short, nosework is very much a scent detection sport - it was developed to mimic professional detection dog tasks. The dog learns to find a specific scent(s) that may be hidden in boxes, rooms, vehicles, outdoor environments etc, whereas in tracking a scent trail is laid down by a person for the dog to scent and follow the trail to an article at the end.

Both are great scent sports in their own rights and it is fascinating to see a dog work using its natural instinct and ability! Scent sports are one where the dog truly takes center stage with minimal interference from the handler.

Edited by silentchild

Nosework is based on detection dog training and the dog finds hidden target odours in different environments, which could be indoors or outdoors.

In tracking, a scent trail is laid out which the dog has to follow to get to the end.

Snap silentchild. :laugh:

Edited by Papillon Kisses

You guys are speedy! I think lvl 4 does both and I had not realised they were different. I have seen another yellow space dog learning to find hidden tea bags and T's kelpie friend learning to follow human prints!

I was more eager over the tea bag finding (and other items) because I figured it be like 101 box game? Where dog learns to interact with environment and it makes more confident?

I am a bit embarrassed to have mixed terms! So nosework is what I am looking forward to for Thistle! Start out at dog school then look into the local places :)

I am going to go watch something similar soon but I must clarify now with the ppl if it is nosework or tracking since not realised difference... Still go and watch and learn tho :) I want to try and learn bits of everything!

Eta. I do not know where. I am following other dog owners and just watching.

Perhaps they have some sort of generic scent detection class that is neither noseworks or tracking, because imposing eligibility criteria and banning dogs is not Noseworks at all. One of the main premises (?) of Nosework is that it is open to ALL dogs whether young, old, reactive, mobility impaired, psychologically impaired, etc. For a lot of reactive dogs, mine included, it's the only regular dog training class they can do — and these are the dogs who stand to benefit the most from doing Nosework. :(

It makes me sad that dogs who would benefit from Noseworks are being needlessly prohibited from it.

Edited by Papillon Kisses

Ahaha, I have misrepresented! We are not banned or prohibited, it is simply that the teacher who is most experienced in it teaches lvl 4 but I am in lvl 3 with teachers who are better experienced in other things like RallyO. Each class gives you a taste/start up knowledge of some kind for you to try. Absolutely nothing stopping me from starting now :) except me wanting to do it under head teacher's tutelage :laugh:

I've checked my emails - it is definitely tracking I am going to go *watch* in a few weeks. My mistake :s

So for the (now known different) nose works I would ask the trainer if he has any local suggestions - but I really do want to hold off until I am in his class.

I fear I'm giving a negative impression. I really want to do something from scratch with this trainer which is why I am holding off dabbling elsewhere ????

How he explains things always makes sense and clicks in my head so well, so starting from step 1 with me as "blank slate" is something I want to try.

I've put enough foot in it, I'm hiding now ???????? I am not explaining my plans well ????

• Troy unlocked this topic