Wild Dog Control

persephone

Recently , The Boss attended a local Wild Dog Control workshop , run by Ben Allen , who is featured in one of the following articles.

It's all interesting stuff .. bt very sad that domestic dogs have so interbred with Dingoes that most wild dogs are just ugly mixed creatures :(

PELORUS ISLAND plan

excerpt:

The four wild dogs, which will be released on Pelorus Island, will not have a chance to become pests themselves, as they have been implanted with a time-activated poison, Hinchinbrook Shire Council said.

700 sheep lost to wild dogs at Merriwa.

excerpt:

Wild dog control is becoming a major issue for many farmers across Australia. Chris Kemp shares his thoughts after losing 700 sheep on his farm at Merriwa over the past few months.

Chris and his family have been running sheep for the past 100 years and have never seen it close to this bad before.

The farm is situated eight kilometres from the Goulburn River National Park and he believes this is the major source of the problem.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Recently , The Boss attended a local Wild Dog Control workshop , run by Ben Allen , who is featured in one of the following articles.

It's all interesting stuff .. bt very sad that domestic dogs have so interbred with Dingoes that most wild dogs are just ugly mixed creatures :(

What I think is worse (than the bolded bit above) is that Dingoes are getting a worse and worse wrap because of this monster-hybrid wild dog and their gene pool is also diminishing. It's getting harder and harder to find a pure dingo (genetically speaking) and, I believe, they'll soon be extinct - replaced with this super mutt.

I wish more was being done for the Dingo - from this point of view and from a PR point of view :cry::( At this rate not many will mourn their loss and that is a tragedy.

What I think is worse (than the bolded bit above) is that Dingoes are getting a worse and worse wrap because of this monster-hybrid wild dog and their gene pool is also diminishing. It's getting harder and harder to find a pure dingo (genetically speaking) and, I believe, they'll soon be extinct - replaced with this super mutt.

I wish more was being done for the Dingo - from this point of view and from a PR point of view :cry::( At this rate not many will mourn their loss and that is a tragedy.

yes. It is very sad.

In a previous life I was involved, in melbourne , with the "Dingo Foundation' - working with purebred Alpine dingoes who were gorgeous creatures, and DEFINITELY not domestic dogs . I am so pleased I have the memory of seeing them .

Ok?

subject of another thread. BUT. its ok to end greyhound racing because 20% have not followed the rules. the grey hound industry and probably most of the dogs involved is to die because some cant be honest, a percentage are put down.

then theres the dingo v goats on island story

yet its perfectly fine to turn 4 dingo's loose on an island to kill out the feral goats AND implant the poor buggers with a delayed release poison?

Being fair, they do plan to shoot those dogs before the two-years is up. So the toxin is a fallback in case shooting them fails, we hope it will not. Enough people will be watching to ensure the attempt is fairly made.

Re the 20%, I wonder if today's news of the cattle prods used on greyhounds came in the 20% (or should add to it). Either way, that is still one in five, it is a rather high fraction or percentage to say it is too small to be the decider.

You have to wonder tho, why do they need to do the implant ?.... the dogs are desexed so hence no risk of re-populating - surely the animals will die naturally in 2-3 years anyway if they haven't been able to shot them.... just wondering what is the justification for the poison... are there other issues they haven't mentioned... if it was due to the fact that they could pose a threat to native wildlife, surely they would pose a threat even while the goats are still there?

You have to wonder tho, why do they need to do the implant ?.... the dogs are desexed so hence no risk of re-populating - surely the animals will die naturally in 2-3 years anyway if they haven't been able to shot them.... just wondering what is the justification for the poison... are there other issues they haven't mentioned... if it was due to the fact that they could pose a threat to native wildlife, surely they would pose a threat even while the goats are still there?

I wondered too...

So just let me get this right a minute maybe Ive missed a bit . Rather than go in and simply humanely kill the goats we are going to put dogs in to rip them apart and then make sure the dogs die with a poison in a couple of years after they have killed off all of the goats ?

But we charge people with cruelty who use dogs to hunt with when the animal is killed soon after the dog brings the animal down?

Do you know what the dogs will do to these goats - they will rip them to pieces while they are still alive. the goats will die slowly in agonising deaths

Why don't we just go in and shoot them if its such a problem ?

So just let me get this right a minute maybe Ive missed a bit . Rather than go in and simply humanely kill the goats we are going to put dogs in to rip them apart and then make sure the dogs die with a poison in a couple of years after they have killed off all of the goats ?

But we charge people with cruelty who use dogs to hunt with when the animal is killed soon after the dog brings the animal down?

Do you know what the dogs will do to these goats - they will rip them to pieces while they are still alive. the goats will die slowly in agonising deaths

Apparently the landscape is not conducive to shooting , either on foot or aerial ?

anyhow , it's on LANDLINE at noon today .

I am 90 % certain that my brother & his dogs could manage the task . His dogs are used to finding goats- he is a qualified shooter .....

I have a strange feeling this experiment once aired today , will attract an awful lot more negative attention, and may not be completed ...

Apparently the landscape is not conducive to shooting , either on foot or aerial ?

I am 90 % certain that my brother & his dogs could manage the task . His dogs are used to finding goats- he is a qualified shooter .....

I have a strange feeling this experiment once aired today , will attract an awful lot more negative attention, and may not be completed ...

Im 100% sure shooters with trained dogs to herd them could do a better job than this lunatic scheme. Seriously Ive seen wild dogs at work literally playing tug of war with baby lambs. There has to be a better way of culling them - the thought of this gives me nightmares.

my sentiments

lordy we humans are appalling at times.. and this is but one of those times.

and yes i have maremmas because of the sheer awfulness of dog attack on my sheep and goats ..but i refuse to condone the horrific death caused by 1080. weird that docking a pups tail is regarded as untenable cruelty but if an animal is an inconvenience then any kind of horrific death is ok as long as it does not cost too much .. make me really really furious at our hypocrisy.

H

They did say the island terrain and bush coverage made it impossible for shooters to do their job, same with aerial shooting.....I think it's an awful idea to put dingoes on there to kill off the goats. But they've already released two of them in there.

Excerpt from the link

Mr Jayo said previous exercises — "such as trying to trap [the goats] or trying to shoot them" — had proven close to impossible because of the difficult terrain.

"We've also tried aerial shooting but the problem is there's so much vegetation up on top that we can't get a clear shot, so when the boys came up with this idea we just thought, 'Well that's perfect'," he said.

"This is nature. The dingo is a predator, the goat is the source of a dingo's affection, so we believe that, yeah, just put nature together and that'll sort out the problem."

It's not natural, a tiny island covered in goats, so no means of escape and yeah, lets send in predators to rip them apart...sickening.

its already fait accomplai.

they show you them turning them loose on the island.

weird isnt it, fine for those goats to be torn to pieces (just check out the horrific photos of dingo attacks on flocks for yourself) yet beyond disgusting when a 80% suffer the same penalty for the offending 20% percentage of greyhound owners ??? and used to justify everyone guilty and shut down all who have racing greyhounds in this state?

then we have Wrans daughter charged as an accessory to murder because she knocked n the door and sheltered a felon. Yet isnt that exactly what the clergy up to and including cardinals and nary an accessory charge is pending in that quarter.

But dog owners with the same interests and breed of dog as the offending 20% are tried convicted and sentanced without even a hearing let alone appeal if the powers can block it.

skewed world we live in

Edited by asal

'fait accompli' is no goats ,intact wildlife, and destroyed dogs ..all without upset/petitions and unauthorised island access/action ;) That's a long way off yet!

the dogs are already loose among the goats? too late to roll back that if objections are lodged now. depending on how much they like goat shredding they could be wiped out in weeks or months thats the only unknown at this juncture

Edited by asal