Wild Dog Control

persephone

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Working dogs rounding them up to shoot etc I mean.

Could they not poison the goats? They will eat grain/pellets etc if fed in one place

yep .

free feed grain/carrots , then add the poison .yes.

The Boss musters, sorts out, yards and trucks away feral goats . When the goats are brought back here to the yards , they take no time to start eating hay/drinking from a trough . Providing they are kept in their family mobs , they stay more settled , and they adapt quickly - so yes, I could see that feeding would be accepted by the goats after a short period .

I missed the landline show - wonder what other things the powers that be tried ?

• 4 weeks later...

How will the dogs know to eat only the goats and not the other wildlife they want to keep, or are they eradicating everything then start again?

The idea being there will be collateral damage but it it is for long term gain.

Previously they introduced dingos onto an island and they did indeed kill every single goat, however it then took 10 years or something to cull the Dingos and they then did too much damage to native species.

The time frame was to allow them to eradicate the goats but not then become an issue themselves.

Edited by OSoSwift

If the goats have already been eradicated once - how did they get back on the island again?

From what I can gather the goats havent as yet been completely wiped out .They say it has to stop and any dogs on the island have to be off within 14 days.

They are not proceeding - not because its cruel but because of a bird.

My link

i know.... we are a pitiful mob in reality.... i have a real problem with the stunning hypocrisy we display in deciding who and what gets to be treated in a humane manner

h

I still cant believe anyone ever thought of it let alone get support for it and go ahead. What a bloody disgrace.

The goats obviously don't eat the birds... and must not be messing up their habitat to the extent that it's an issue...

Looks like they may have to cull the goats by shooting on a regular basis... like they do with the roos in Canberra when they get to plague proportions.

We messed up the balance by encraoching on habitats and introducing certain species, so we might just have to work a bit harder to keep numbers under control.

What gets me is widespread baiting of pest species usually works up and down the food chain - with unintended collateral damage to those animals that we are trying to save form so called pests... *sigh*

There will be no easy answer or quick and dirty solution I'm afraid...

T.

My link

i know.... we are a pitiful mob in reality.... i have a real problem with the stunning hypocrisy we display in deciding who and what gets to be treated in a humane manner

h

I still cant believe anyone ever thought of it let alone get support for it and go ahead. What a bloody disgrace.

Well, the brains behind the project has also proposed exporting dingo meat to south-east asia. Maybe next on the list will be live exports to Yulin.

My link

MP Not happy over the program being stopped. Remember this guy's name.

Decision not 'based on science': MP

Hinchinbrook MP Andrew Cripps has questioned the government's motivation in shutting down the Pelorus project, calling it a "political stunt".

He said he "didn't believe the decision was based on science or environmental grounds".

My link

h

Well, the brains behind the project has also proposed exporting dingo meat to south-east asia. Maybe next on the list will be live exports to Yulin.

considering the thousands shot yearly and left to rot are in the same regions that already have chillers and protocols already in place for roo, camel and wild pig meat for sale why not value add an otherwise wasted resource?

They are going to be shot anyway, or the farmers will have to give up stocking sheep, dont take as many calves as sheep massacred but cattle farmers lose significant numbers too if they aren't controlled

Edited by asal

• 2 weeks later...

And surprise, surprise, they can't get the dogs now, they are "eluding snipers" in helicopters.

Two dogs are still on the loose, we can all guess their fate (if they manage to last the 2 years, in the meantime killing off those birds as well as the goats) They have gps collars, looks like it's going to be a costly exercise sending in a bunch of hunters to track and kill the dogs now.

What a royal f***up by all involved, morons.

http://www.abc.net.a...snipers/7801846

Edited by Cazablanca

"snipers" in helicopters!! They need one decent HUNTER, on foot ,preferably with patience and stealth , a noisy bitch in season ..and the understanding of how these dogs think ....

After the trauma these two dogs have endured - why on earth would they pop their heads up to watch a chopper?!! ANY motor noise will send them down a hole very smartly .

:banghead:

Edited by persephone