Are These Neck Scars Consistant With Shock Collaruse?

Sue

This dog is in rescue in NZ and I have just noticed that she has these two scars either side of her windpipe. She didn't have these scars 12 months ago. To me they appear consistent with the use of something with prongs. I guess they could be from a badly fitting collar where the buckle has rubbed as well? Photo one shows one o the scars close up and the second photo shows both scars.

post-141-0-82600200-1469327071_thumb.jpg

It's possible they could be pressure sores from an e-collar left on indefinitely while too tight. No way to really know. It's important to note that any type of collar that's too tight and left on for a long time can cause pressure sores - it isn't exclusive to any one type of collar.

No, she's not debarked. The short hair is from her current collar rubbing. I can't take it off to let it heal as I need to be able to grab her quick if she decides to play up. She's not very well trained. She has aggression issues with other dogs and I thought possibly the owners had decided to use a shock collar to "retrain" her. If they did, it hasn't work, lol.

It's possible they could be pressure sores from an e-collar left on indefinitely while too tight. No way to really know. It's important to note that any type of collar that's too tight and left on for a long time can cause pressure sores - it isn't exclusive to any one type of collar.

Yes I was thinking the same thing - the two additional indentations appear as though they could be the points. Also, I don't understand the theory but am working with people who do - many of the contact points on dog collars can cause electrical burns (even when not in use) because of the way the hardware is engineered. When you change the way the current is delivered you don't seem to have the same issues. Sorry I can't recall the details. Left my work brain at work.

My friend used paw paw ointment on her bully's neck where there was some collar rub and it healed up.

At least I think it was paw paw ointment.

Maybe a different kind of collar or two or three different kinds of collars that you could rotate - ie a different one each day - so that the rubbing is not all in one spot? Do greyhound collars come in bully size?

That doesn't look like an e-collar mark, but even if it were E-collars are an effective training too when used correctly. I've seen them used on dogs for distance work, where the quick ping alerts the dog that they need to turn around and look for a command. There are different levels of stimulation, some with over 100 levels, of which the lowest levels barely being detectable by a decent sized dog.

Skins not broken, doesn't look to be irritated or anything, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Yes I was thinking the same thing - the two additional indentations appear as though they could be the points. Also, I don't understand the theory but am working with people who do - many of the contact points on dog collars can cause electrical burns (even when not in use) because of the way the hardware is engineered. When you change the way the current is delivered you don't seem to have the same issues. Sorry I can't recall the details. Left my work brain at work.

I've never heard of or come across any collar capable of causing electrical burns, it's just not possible.

I have seen dogs with pressure sores though and some dogs do have allergic reactions to the metal from the probes - a reaction can happen within a very short period of time

ETA: it doesn't look like pressure points from an ecollar to me, the points are an odd shape not consistent with probes

Edited by huski

I've never heard of or come across any collar capable of causing electrical burns, it's just not possible.

I have seen dogs with pressure sores though and some dogs do have allergic reactions to the metal from the probes - a reaction can happen within a very short period of time

ETA: it doesn't look like pressure points from an ecollar to me, the points are an odd shape not consistent with probes

Trust me huski it is possible. I'm not saying it's due to misuse but it's the nature of the circuitry of some e-collars. Happy to chat further via PM as I don't want to derail this thread.