What's The Follow-Up Etiquette?

KLB

A couple weeks ago, I met up with a fantastic breeder at one of the local shows. (And thanks to all of you who helped me to know what to expect from that experience!) We agreed to meet at the end of July, when the pups were old enough to have had their vaccines. It's nearing the end of the month, and I'm wondering if I'm supposed to make the next move and perhaps send a follow-up SMS, or if I should be patient and not bother the breeder? What's the general etiquette? Many thanks as always!

I would make contact - things can get a bit hectic when there's a litter on the ground. Just keep it short and sweet - maybe thank them for spending time with you and confirm your previous understanding.

Thank you, that's exactly what I was thinking about--that things would be hectic and this isn't going to be at the forefront of their mind like it is mind. Would an SMS be appropriate? It's not as intrusive as a phone call and I'm not really after any particular info at the moment. Just want to make my interest known.

I would make contact - things can get a bit hectic when there's a litter on the ground. Just keep it short and sweet - maybe thank them for spending time with you and confirm your previous understanding.

Thank you, that's exactly what I was thinking about--that things would be hectic and this isn't going to be at the forefront of their mind like it is mind. Would an SMS be appropriate? It's not as intrusive as a phone call and I'm not really after any particular info at the moment. Just want to make my interest known.

Everyone is different but I wouldn't mind an sms at all. I think expressing your interest is great :)

Maybe SMS and say, 'I hope it's okay to SMS you.' That way the breeder can say to call if that's what is preferred.

I let them know that either SMS or a phone call at their convenience would be fine for me. I hope that it was ok to send it! I just thought this breeder was wonderful and I don't want to miss out because I didn't follow the right protocol, if that makes sense.

Maybe SMS and say, 'I hope it's okay to SMS you.' That way the breeder can say to call if that's what is preferred.

I let them know that either SMS or a phone call at their convenience would be fine for me. I hope that it was ok to send it! I just thought this breeder was wonderful and I don't want to miss out because I didn't follow the right protocol, if that makes sense.

You're doing great.

You're doing great.

Thank you! It's a pretty stressful process for a first-timer, so I really appreciate that! :-)

You're doing great.

Yep! Completely agree!

There is no protocol ,what ever you discussed is what you follow ,if your not sure then just do a follow up call and dont make it sucky or cheesy, don't do I now it's hectic yards yards ,breeders now there busy that's what we sign up for .

Just keep it simple that .That pups could be viewed at the end of July after vacs and wanted to touch base on making a time

I'm wondering if I'm supposed to make the next move and perhaps send a follow-up SMS, or if I should be patient and not bother the breeder?

Better to make contact. Sometimes people can be a bit disorganised, lose your contact details or just assume you've lost interest and then you miss out on a puppy.

Maybe ask for photos of the litter just so you can see how they're growing.

Once a week contact - I think is what I'd be doing - without being pushy. Just to maintain the warm fuzzy "I'm here and interested" feeling. If the breeder thinks that's too much they will probably tell you.

Just to update you, because you all have been SO helpful: I have not been successful in making contact with the particular breeder I was curious about following up with. I feel like whatever connection we had has fizzled out. (It's so much like dating!) However, I have had success with another breeder I have chatted with and today sent in my deposit for 2 beautiful maltese puppies who will be coming home in 6 weeks! Everything felt right about this situation and I am completely overjoyed! Thanks again for all your help in this endeavor. I am sure I will be asking puppy questions soon but I just wanted to say thanks in the meantime!

Just to update you, because you all have been SO helpful: I have not been successful in making contact with the particular breeder I was curious about following up with. I feel like whatever connection we had has fizzled out. (It's so much like dating!) However, I have had success with another breeder I have chatted with and today sent in my deposit for 2 beautiful maltese puppies who will be coming home in 6 weeks! Everything felt right about this situation and I am completely overjoyed! Thanks again for all your help in this endeavor. I am sure I will be asking puppy questions soon but I just wanted to say thanks in the meantime!

Dont forget the pictures :D