Best Glucosamine Supplement

danakay9

Hi everyone

So my vet has told me that it wouldnt hurt to give my dog a glucosamine supplement for her very mild luxating patellas. She also has a small degree of ligament tear due to an injury.

I was wondering what are some good brands of glucosamine. The vet agreed that it would be a benefit for her recovery from injury and also for her long term joint health.

I have a 2 and a half y/o pomeranian.

If anyone could please share some opinions. Thanks! :D

Sasha's blend is excellent, if you look up there web site they have a video that shows you how it heals and mends, takes a month or two to see the difference.

My son who lives in Sydney has a rescue Rottie and she became severely lame, I suggested Sasha's to him as I used to look after a Frenchie who had arthritic problems and became lame and his owner's vet suggested for them to use it, this boy was as good as gold and lived without pain until he was nearly 15.

They have a permanent order with a pet supply store.

We've been using Joint Guard for many years. Recently Stevie's hips were x-rayed and the vet couldn't believe how well she is moving considering the bony spurs she's now carrying. But Jount Guard is stupidly expensive and the vet says the Blackmores 'PAW Osteosupport' chew things are better now anyway, so we've swapped to those and she's even bouncier than before. We've just started the other dogs on them this week so it will be interesting to see if Jodie's morning stiffness is relieved.

Edited by Katdogs

I bought 400g for $45 at the end of last year, it was out fairly economical, from a naturopath in Caloundra,

It was on ebay, I see they are still selling it but now in 1kg bags.

It really helps my oldies

if you copy and paste & search in ebay: Canine MSM Chondroitin Glucosamine Powder 1000gm Dog Joint Arthritis Dysplasia

Maybe contact them and ask if they have smaller amounts

edited to say that I checked out their other items and they do have 400g for sale: $50, it's the same product that I bought...good stuff!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MSM-Glucosamine-Chondroitin-Powder-400gm-High-Strength-/141807105193?hash=item21045cb4a9:g:drMAAOSw4UtWSmWU

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/magiknutrition/m.html?item=141958744810&hash=item210d668aea%3Ag%3AGZUAAOSwIwhWSkfF&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

I give 1/4tsp daily for my dogs (they weigh between 8 and 9kg)

Edited by Boronia

My vet told me when buying glucosamine to get the sulphate rather than the hydrochloride. No idea why. But I now take it for myself and by mistake bought the hydrocholride instead of the sulphate which I had been taking successfully for nearly a year and I started having problems with my arthritis again. So if you get some make sure it's the sulphate version

• 9 months later...

flame, when I was looking at glucosamine for my horse, my readings said the glucosamine sulphate is better absorbed, some articles suggested the difference in absorption was too small to be material, however better absorption to me is better absorption, so I went for the glucosamine sulphate.

I get mine from Country Park herbs. I think it's $60 for 1 kg.

Twodoggies2001where do you get frozen chicken feet from? I know you are in Vic and I'm in Qld but where should I look for them.? They sound interesting to me. My little girl  loves her bones and if they help with joint problems later in life they could be a good thing. 

Not so much glucosamine, but still joint support/pain relief, I use rose hip vital for some of my dogs. One of them was in really bad shape when I got him, to the point where I actually thought we'd only have a few months with him (The rescue told me he was 10). He's a completely different dog since being on the rose hip vital, he's put on a huge amount of muscle on his legs that were super wasted, he moves so much better, he'll be kicking along for a while now I think!!

I buy the horse sized tubs because they're much more economical for my lot (I have 4 out of my 5 on it and they're all big dogs), and the only difference is that the dog version is 100% rose hip, the horse version is 98% rose hip, 2% molasses. 

• Like 1

Twodoggies2001where do you get frozen chicken feet from? I know you are in Vic and I'm in Qld but where should I look for them.? They sound interesting to me. My little girl  loves her bones and if they help with joint problems later in life they could be a good thing. 

I buy the from the poultry shop and put them in my freezer.  Kaman, each day, the boys get one each and I just take them out of the freezer and feed as is.  My mini schnauzers love them too and have no trouble chewing them up.

• Like 1