Brushing A Pomeranian

So i'd like to get my boys fur in lovely condition after getting him clipped the past few summers (before i knew better :o ). Any recommendations on getting the undercoat thinner (or softer)? Would you use a Rake? What is the correct brush to use? I have a slicker brush that i use but it doesn't seem to get the underneath fur out?

You need a good come and you need to comb the coat thoroughly ,also don't brush a dry coat spray bottle with water or you could buy one of the show products like reviva coat to place in spray

It is going to take a for time if ever to get a decent coat back and you will have to deal with a lot of under coat before you get success (depending on how bad the coat is know)

Keep combing through,when coat change season comes it will hopefully help.

There is no short cut just good combing through

You need a good come and you need to comb the coat thoroughly ,also don't brush a dry coat spray bottle with water or you could buy one of the show products like reviva coat to place in spray

It is going to take a for time if ever to get a decent coat back and you will have to deal with a lot of under coat before you get success (depending on how bad the coat is know)

Keep combing through,when coat change season comes it will hopefully help.

There is no short cut just good combing through

Thank you. He's easy to brush so happy to spend the time doing it. Would you use a wider tooth comb? Still use the slicker brush after? Ta for tip about water too :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

Miracle coat slicker is awesome!

http://www.dogessentials.net.au/miracle-coat-slicker-brush

When you have your dog lathered up in the bath brush through with this slicker, rinse and lather up again with shampoo and brush your poms coat again, rinse again and lather up with conditioner. When the conditioners on brush with slicker until no coat comes out then brush through with a long toothed comb like a greyhound comb. Then rinse until all conditioners out, you'll know when there's no conditioner left because when you run the hair through your fingers it squeaks, make sure it squeaks all over the body. If your Pom only has a bit of undercoat you could wash twice in shampoo then only brush when the conditioners on. If the undercoat is really stubborn get a Mars undercoat rake, look on their website and they tell you which number rake you'll need for a Pom. Just be careful with a rake because you can slice the skin open????

Edited by animalia

Yes, like show dog said, a comb will hands down be the best brush for this :) But do spend a little extra on a good quality comb- and you'll have to buy online rather than in a pet shop. A greyhound comb is what I would be looking for, half course and half fine (I have no clue why they are called that..)

A good conditioner would be beneficial too.

I'd also work on coat health from the inside, so feeding some extra omega oils, maybe some tinned sardines or eggs :)

I've got a comb with twirly teeth that tug less when you comb. I'm not sure if you're meant to strip the undercoat from a pom? If you are, I really like the mars coat kings. I use them for a cocker and westie (as well as on the horses' mane LOL). Super easy to use for novices. The cocker I rehomed last year was clipped all over. A year later, she's coming good, but her quarters still need more growing. I've got before and after pics in the general area, recent thread Dogs of DOL pics. They're on the first page.

I strip and clip them myself. Usually every 4-6 weeks they get a full groom. They get fully combed and brushed at least weekly, becoming more frequently as their coats are getting longer. I found there's an in-between stage where the cocker knotted constantly. Once her hair got a bit longer, the knotting stopped. It was obviously just the right length to tangle there for a while.