The Dogs Of Dol

grizabella

So is she actually Ping's litter sister or from the same mating but different litter? I'm actually really starting to like the look of these guys -- a breed very well kept secret!!!

From the ANKC extended breed standard the medium wire haired look amazing!! A little like a Parson Russell but taller and lankier!!

Repeat mating, there were just the 2 boys in Ping's litter!

I was over in Portugal in June and got to meet LOTS of podengo - including wire ones! :love:

Hoping maybe we can add another pod to our pack next year :thumbsup:

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So is she actually Ping's litter sister or from the same mating but different litter? I'm actually really starting to like the look of these guys -- a breed very well kept secret!!!

From the ANKC extended breed standard the medium wire haired look amazing!! A little like a Parson Russell but taller and lankier!!

It was a repeat mating, so full sister, but different litter. :) I'm pretty smitten with her. She is not particularly obsessive about anything, but is up for whatever I can dream up, so she is easy and fun to live with. Very smart, speedy, agile, and hopefully she will one day be running 10+km runs with me. She is also super cute and full of games and mischief and cuddles.

I think I might be wanting to add a Pod to my zoo one day -- I've just been reading the standard and they almost sound quite terrier-like, especially being bred for vermin and rabbit hunting!!

For me it'd have to be a wire because I do so love my terriers and a wire coat would be like having a terrier without having one!! :laugh: Also, it mentioned in the standard that wire coats fair better in hotter climates and smooths are more well suited to the cooler weather.

I think I might be wanting to add a Pod to my zoo one day -- I've just been reading the standard and they almost sound quite terrier-like, especially being bred for vermin and rabbit hunting!!

For me it'd have to be a wire because I do so love my terriers and a wire coat would be like having a terrier without having one!! :laugh: Also, it mentioned in the standard that wire coats fair better in hotter climates and smooths are more well suited to the cooler weather.

You know, I got Kestrel because I was after a small dog that could run long distances but wasn't a terrier. I was a bit scared by the thought of a terrier trail running with me and whether I'd ever see it again if I let it off leash. Or if it would instantly try to kill a snake or something. Also not really into lap dogs. Kestrel is kind of in between all those things. She is terrier-esque in that she LOVES to explore and can be kind of reactive and notices everything going on around her. She fires up pretty easily. However, she is probably more sociable than the average terrier. I really wanted something with reasonable conflict resolution skills, and she is pretty good there. She is generally friendly, and probably more cautious than the stereotypical terrier. She is game, but she'll check before she commits to something. Currently she is good off leash in the bush and on the dog beach. She runs a lot, and is very adventurous in where she will go to explore, but stays in sight and usually comes when called. She does spend a lot of time on my lap, but she is not as intrusive as many toy breeds. She will back off until I'm ready for her and wait for an invitation. Mostly I just didn't want a self-important scrappy and socially intolerant dog, and I really didn't want it racing off to hunt all the time. So, that seems to be going all right. So far. :) She is very smart. That's fun. But very different to train.

Mostly I just didn't want a self-important scrappy and socially intolerant dog

This was us too, Ping is quite prey driven but we allow him the opportunity to practice a lot of hunting!

I find he is a very sensitive little soul though, very sensitive to any sort of spatial or social pressure which is soooo different to Elsie - I don't mind it and we're not a yelling and bustling sort of household but he absolutely melts if he hears people being grumpy at dog training :cry: