Older Dog And Puppy Problem?

mowgliandme

My house mate has an older (probably 7-8 yo) mixed breed, fluffy 15kg dog – not sure on breed – most likely CKCS x poodle based on his super long ears. He has always been very gentle with everyone – never bitten any person or dog in his life and is super friendly towards people. He mostly plays fetch at the park and ignores other dogs, but has never been aggressive to them except occasionally on leash when walking where he will bark and lunge. He has never bitten another dog before.

Since getting our new puppy he has been following her around and sitting nearby the puppy, he occasionally growls when she gets close. And she is completely oblivious to his body language and signals, very pouncy and playful even when he is clearly giving her the cold shoulder, looking away and ignoring her.

We supervise all interactions between them and obviously remove the puppy from him in these situations, however there has been a few times where he has tried to play with her, play bow, wagging tail, bouncing back in a playful way and we have let her approach him a bit more. Twice they have had a round of chassey where he runs in big circles (both chased and chasee)…

And twice after his playful approach (split second after she approaches) he can go stiff and not want to play anymore, he has growled and when she didn’t back off he has bitten her! There is no food or toys involved in these situations.

She doesn’t seem to have any negative impacts of these bites…she yelps for less than 3 seconds and then goes straight back to trying to play with him, then we move her away. She is still as playful as ever but I don’t want her to become dog/fear aggressive – especially if she gets bitten in her fear period. I don’t think shes had one yet (she is almost 10 weeks and full of confidence)

What should I do in these situations? I’m watching his body language like a hawk but its so sudden after he gives “waggly tail come play with me” body language? Do I prevent her from interacting with him at all? Or is this just an older dog putting a puppy in its place??

Older dog has bitten the pup - he hasnt bitten her very hard (no holes or blood - shes fluffy too so hard to tell) and she still wants to play with him.

I assume its similar to being nipped when playing rough with a littermate, they yelp, stop playing for a few seconds then go straight back to it. Except in this case its probably to teach her some manners like leave him alone when hes tired etc...

Today they have had a really good play together and she was a lot more respectful towards him, not trying to jump all over his face when hes lying down - so hopefully shes gotten the message!