Dog Nails

Sheridan

My Roo loathes having his nails done. Or as his breeder puts it, 'Wheatens and their bloody feet.' It has taken 3 people to hold him and then he still defeats us. I thought trying a Dremel might be less traumatic for him and us. Are there specific doggy nail Dremels or do people get them from hardware stores? Links to what people use?

I bought a Dremel Stylus from Masters a couple of years ago. It works really well and has a variable speed control. From memory it cost me about $90, however, prior to that I had one from Bunnings that was called a Medallion Engraving Tool at the grand price of $15. that too worked well but was not as easy to hold as the cordless pistol type Dremel.

There are dog specific ones - or at least ones sold for dogs but for bigger dogs they don't seem to be strong enough.

IMO it is worth buying the dearer product BUT that does not mean that your dog will tolerate it any better than anything else.

When I started using the Dremel with my current dog I could not get it anywhere near the nails. A little at a time got us there before too long.

My boxer was terrible about nail clipping (and impossible to keep still enough to do it safely). I was surprised that he adjusted quite quickly to accepting the Dremel though.

I did ease him more gradually into it, and chose a time when he was both exercised, and hungry (one of us shovelled treats into him back then too, while the other person dremelled). Ours is a Dremel brand one, but I can't remember the style name. Will have a look later when I'm home and attach a link.

I have two dogs that prefer clippers over a rotary tool. It is too noisy and the vibration when it touches their nails worries them. My new pup had a major aversion to nail clippers when I got her and I thought the rotary tool might help seeing as it was different. Yeah, fat chance she is going anywhere near that thing, even after watching the other two dogs getting lots of treats around it. I tried going very slow and shaping her to put a paw in my hand and hold still while I trimmed, but the conflict of the food present and her anticipation that any moment I was going to hurt her made it so slow as to be impractical, really. I fiddled around with a few options and in the end got the best results from just clipping the tip of one nail and then giving her the entire peanut butter jar to lick for 10 seconds. She now lets me set her on her back in my lap and holds still while I clip several nails. If that hadn't worked, I think the bucket game would have been the most effective second choice.

I use a dremel but I don't think they make the model I use anymore. It's small, wireless and lightweight, and shaped like a gun.

Dremel-Stylus-with-Docking-Charger.jpg

I love my dremel, my old Rotty wouldn't tolerate the clippers so I switched over to the dremel and she was much happier. With Breeze she was deathly terrified of the dremel but within a few sessions of getting her used and conditioned to them she now happily snores away lying on her back between my legs whilst I dremel away at her nails. And I don't have to worry so much about accidentally cutting the quick like I do with clippers. Dremelling is so oddly satisfying to me LOL. I loooove my dremel.

Just gave the alternate cutting method a try, so we'll see what happens!

I did quick him badly on one nail. :( I noticed in the video that Susan Garret mentioned that she prefers one particular styptic pencil. What do you guys use? The one I have says its from Tyco Healthcare and also has Surgipack written on it. I don't find it particularly helpful. ????

We've desensitised enough that I can just use the nail clippers now, but have used both dremmel and dog scratching board. I rotate depending on length/front vs back (i swear front grow much faster?!)

I actually prefer the scratching board, as it was faster and more efficient for big thick dog nails. I was concerned about her pawpads but turned out it was a non issue. She has quicked herself on occaison with this method, but doesn't yelp or fuss so I am careful with only letting her at it for a minute or two (that fast)

tumblr_o2osbxsPyY1qh8fino1_500.jpg

The dremmel kit I got from bunnings for $30, it's a slower but neater method with more accuracy. Dog was a bit unnerved by the noise tho. Find she works better if put in a stand. *I* don't like the smell of the nails being filed and careful not to heat up the nail.

Wheatens are fluffy on the underfoot? I saw somewhere recommendations to poke the nails through a stocking before using the dremmel to avoid fur getting stuck for the longer haired canines.

Edited by Thistle the dog

Just gave the alternate cutting method a try, so we'll see what happens!

I did quick him badly on one nail. :( I noticed in the video that Susan Garret mentioned that she prefers one particular styptic pencil. What do you guys use? The one I have says its from Tyco Healthcare and also has Surgipack written on it. I don't find it particularly helpful. ????

That's the method I've been using on Kestrel's nails. They are white, so very easy to practice on before I tackle the boys' black nails. I like the alternative cut. The vet is right - the quick recedes in a few days. I haven't quicked Kestrel yet, but a couple of times she's flinched and I know I went a wee bit too close. Much peanut butter buys forgiveness.

I get my dogs to roll over to do nails. The westie pup was a bit anxious about being rolled and his feet being touched, so I made it a game in the morning when he jumps on the bed to roll him over, rub his tummy and play with his feet and nails. These days if he doesn't get rolled in a timely fashion he runs down around my feet and up the other side and rolls himself over for snuggles LOL He is stoic about getting his nails trimmed, but a very good boy. I had a friend clip out his feet for the first couple of times, so I could keep him calm and he was very good with that and I clip them myself these days.

I started using a Dremel as my old girl had very strong nails and I didn't have the hand strength to clip them. All my dogs have tolerated it well until the latest, she prefers clippers. The model I have is chargeable and kind of gun shaped.

It is easier to cut wet nails ,I always do my show dogs nails straight out Orr the bath otherwise dunk them in warm water first .

I have used a dremel and found it either works or it doesn't ,

We use ferric chloride if we cut them seals immediately

I did this video for a couple of puppy people yesterday in case anyone might find this helpful.

The dog is not quite 5 months old, this is a front foot (which is nearly always more difficult to do than the rear) and this is the first time I have dremelled this puppy without having someone hold him. He is laying on his back on the couch and I am sitting alongside him.

I've been dremelling nails this way for around7 years.

This is our new dremel (third one) and we are very happy with it. It is the Dremel 3000-2/30

https://www.masters.com.au/product/100469973/dremel-3000-2-30-variable-speed-rotary-tool-kit?gclid=CM7alYWBqc0CFQdvvAodDPQOnw#product-overview

Prior to the above dremel we had an electric stylus rotary tool that would not rotate slow enough. I could use it, but I didn't like it. And prior to that we had a battery operated one that was way too cumbersome in my hand... I am getting arthritic thumbs and it makes it difficult to use.

• Like 1