Dog Nails

Sheridan

Couple of weeks since first trying the new method. Some of the quicks receded very nicely, others not really at all.

I'm finding it hard to get a good purchase on some of the nails. Some of them seem to crumble instead of cutting cleanly, so I think some new clippers are in order.

Any favourite brands? I use a guillotine but am also wondering if the scissor type would be better with this cut method. Kind of hard to get the right angle.

I'm finding it hard to get a good purchase on some of the nails. Some of them seem to crumble instead of cutting cleanly, so I think some new clippers are in order.

Any favourite brands? I use a guillotine but am also wondering if the scissor type would be better with this cut method. Kind of hard to get the right angle.

No one?

I don't use a dremel but have heard really good things. Plenty of shaping and desensitisation will help of course. Good luck!

i persisted for 6 months with Dremel training; labs love their food, but Wilbur would not take to the Dremel despite always using the highest value treats of salami, bacon, chicken. He at least lets me cut his nails with clippers but i still have to offer bacon etc laugh.gif and need OH to keep him still. I would prefer using a Dremel; i hate clippers as i'm always scare i'll take too much off or that the dogs will pull away at the wrong time frown.gif

I've just attacked my Bull Terrier and my Stafford baby with both clippers and rotary sander (I have a Rok from Mitre 10, fraction of the price of a "real" Dremel but just as effective). Both fidgeted with the clippers (the Bull Terrier took two of us to get one foot done) and I think it's the tugging that upsets them. Neither had had nails done with the Rok before, but after the initial checking out, BOTH (one 3 and one 5 months) stood perfectly still and let me get on with it.

Result, two dogs worth of nicely blunted nails so no more nail gouges and no more stocking runs!!!

Use the dremel on my boys, one detested nail clippers and would get humphed at just seeing them. The dremel is much quicker adn I'm glad they don't have any issue with it. There is the dremel pet nail [but not sure on availability over here]. Dremel Pet nail

Edited by Kajirin

• 2 months later...

Dremel noob here!

:)

Do i need to get a heavy duty/expensive one for a small dog (under 10kg)... I don't really have any other use for it

Will this one do? https://www.bunnings.com.au/dremel-200-1-21-125w-series-rotary-tool_p6280075 And is this the attachment that you use with it https://www.bunnings.com.au/dremel-13mm-120-grit-sanding-bands-6-pack_p6282519

Or is a pet specific one better like this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pet-Dog-Cat-Wahl-Premium-Pet-Nail-Trimmer-Tool-Grooming-Grinder-Clipper-Wireless-/361589138258?hash=item5430646352:g:D7AAAOSw9eVXWRo9

Ive had a look on the Bunnings website but the dremel stylus/medalian engraving tool or the dremel pet nail don't seem to be available any more, and the dremel 3000 is $128...which I could get if its better but not sure if its necessary for a such small dog... i have been using human nail clippers so far on her

Edited by mowgliandme

No one?

I would also like to know more about this too. I have a fear of cutting my dogs nails since once years ago I did cut one too close and it was traumatic for both of us. I now avoid the issue and I just walk my dogs regularly over rough surfaces hoping it will wear them down naturally or ask the vet or groomer to do them. A dremel sounds scary and I don't think I could do it but I would like to know more about the guillotine versus scissors type of clippers. Any recommendations or advice welcome.

No one?

I would also like to know more about this too. I have a fear of cutting my dogs nails since once years ago I did cut one too close and it was traumatic for both of us. I now avoid the issue and I just walk my dogs regularly over rough surfaces hoping it will wear them down naturally or ask the vet or groomer to do them. A dremel sounds scary and I don't think I could do it but I would like to know more about the guillotine versus scissors type of clippers. Any recommendations or advice welcome.

I MUCH prefer the scissor type clippers. Always seem to get a cleaner, less forceful cut with them than the guillotine varieties.

I found an old pair of scissor type ones at my parents which was one of my papillon's many clippers (five?!).

Agree scissor cut better than guillotine. At least these ones. They slice more than squeeze.

I'm in a Facebook group called Nail Maintenace for Dogs and many seem to like Millers Forge brand but prefer dremels. They also have a bunch of useful information files.

For clipping I definitely prefer scissor type nail clippers. Sometimes on very small dogs where it is difficult to get into the dew claw I will use those little fold out human nail clippers as I can slide them onto the side of the nail. Also useful for ingrown nails where you only have side access.

I do prefer to dremmel. I'll clip,off extra length on long nails then dremmel but some of the shorter ones I just dremmel and also the ones that won't tolerate clipping I'll dremmel away at them instead of pre clipping.

I love my stylus dremmel.. Unfortunately they don't make them anymore. I prefer to use the stones rather than the sandpaper. I just got a new stone that has a narrow tapered end its great for getting the underside of the nails after clipping. The stone with the blunt end has a hollow in the end which is great to press the end of the nail onto especially the end of dew claws or for less patient dogs to just knock off the razor sharp edges after clipping.

I must try to make a video using the dremmel,with the stones. I also have an little eBay pet nail grinder.

For dogs that are ultra sensative a sanding block or a pet nail file (curved design) would be a better way to start. For big dogs cut some pvc pipe down the middle and stick sand paper into the inside curve. Homemade large dog nail file!

Then there is the scratch board. Google for videos

Edited by Gruf